Firmware Update May Break Your Old Xbox 360 [UPDATE]

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Firmware Update May Break Your Old Xbox 360 [UPDATE]

A recent firmware update for Xbox Live left owners of older Xbox 360 consoles out in the cold with malfunctioning hardware, but Microsoft will soon make it up to affected owners.

Microsoft will send out new machines (the 250GB slim model) and offer one year of Gold Membership to Xbox Live for those affected by the recent update. The update caused some consoles to face disc error messages, claiming the inserted disc is "unreadable" or "unsupported" -- an unforeseen and unwelcome side-effect.

However, this has nothing to do with the upcoming firmware update that is designed to battle piracy and prepare console owners for the new XGD3 disc format which will add up to one more gigabyte of data on Xbox discs.

"Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs," a Microsoft representative told Eurogamer. "We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console."

Microsoft advises 360 owners to visit [a href="http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/contact-us.aspx"]the Xbox support page[/a] to confirm if their console is affected. The company has a [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86140-A-Detailed-History-Of-The-Red-Ring-Of-Death"]history of hardware failing[/a] on people and with Sony's recent [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110129-Sony-CEO-Adamantly-Defends-Openness-On-PSN-Attack"]issues with PlayStation Network[/a], it shouldn't come as a surprise that Microsoft has quickly responded to this problem with a generous offer.

Now, if I could only convince Microsoft to replace my overheated PlayStation 3 and the Wii my cousin sat on last summer.

Source: [a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-18-how-to-get-your-replacement-xbox-360"]Eurogamer[/a]

*UPDATE*: The patch causing Xbox 360's disc drives to malfunction is actually a previously released patch, we've recently been told. Changes have been made in the story to reflect this update. Thanks goes out to readers who pointed this out.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Oh boy! I have a crusty barely working "original" Xbox, with no HDMI or anything. Time to update to see if my lotto ticket gets me a new slim...

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
But my xbox already did this 2 fucking times before and I bought 2 new fucking xboxs.
/rage /cry.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Lawl best thing ever I hope mine bricks. Old as 12 gig hard drive. On the one hand if it bricks it its broken, on the other hand I get a year of live and over 200 gb of space.

yndsu

Apr 1, 2011
Damn, i wish i had an old 360 that would give me that error so that i could get me the new on for free. Damn.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I can't remember any firmware update in a long time though...anyways.
Damn, my xbox is still working...after 2, nearing, 3 years now xD

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
And I was just about to plug my 360 back into the internet after god knows how long of playing offline (Dorm network doesn't allow for game consoles to connect to the net) so I could update it and pick up some long wanted DLC.

Think I'll just wait another year now so whatever is bricking them gets fixed.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I haven't been able to get on live recently so I guess I've dodged that bullet.

Kind of a clumsy way for Microsoft to faze out the old consoles though, don't you think? Good thing they couldn't remotely-destroy my original Xbox.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Quick, I must update my xbox and bust it if it doesn't break!

But yeah man, good offer, I mean seriously that's good, I'm sure many people are wanting their xboxs to die at the moment, the offer is pretty over the top really, I'm sure no ones going to complain, but I would've thought they'd just give some points or a month free, which I'd be happy enough with, not a whole new system, that's just being lavish in the face of sony :p

KeyMaster45 said:
And I was just about to plug my 360 back into the internet after god knows how long of playing offline (Dorm network doesn't allow for game consoles to connect to the net) so I could update it and pick up some long wanted DLC.

Think I'll just wait another year now so whatever is bricking them gets fixed.
Ye gads man you must be mad! I'd be clambering at the possibility of a brand new 250g xbox and a year of gold.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
TO THE GARAGE! Papa needs a new 360 for uni!

I feel kinda dirty now. I really shouldn't be hoping my console is bricked.

Update: Dammit. Why do you choose to be loyal and faithful now? What happened to my RRODing console of last year? What happened to that guy?

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
My system is about three years old now, but I want to try the Red Faction: Armageddon demo, and I don't think I'll have any issues with my system.

Martster

Rated EC-10 Condemned
Mar 17, 2010
Nicely done Microsoft

For most its just an update, for the few it affects its a new 360. Sweet

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
What Firmware update?

Reading through it Im reading it as 'Makes your xbox unable to read retail discs'

So like, your saves will all still be fine to transfer to a new xbox? I sure hope so. I mean a short wait while they replace the machine isnt a huge deal if you can transfer your save data across. Unless they demand the old console back before they send out a new one. I dont like that idea at all.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Er...I was going to hop on and download the Mass Effect 2 DLC, but this makes me a little worried. Still, if it does break, Microsoft sure isn't pulling its punches to make up for it.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
On my previous firmware update, I got the ring of death. It took me some prayer, some cooldown techniques and some blowing on vents (it worked for Genesis cartridges, so shut up)for it to come back to life. I just hope the next time I fire it up, I don´t get this firmware of evil problem.