First Gen 9 Console Reviews!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

About the battery

Basically, the settings are defaulted to max and the demo Astrobot game uses battery life the most, because it's like boot camp for the controller. Tweaking the settings will improve things beyond the four or five hours people are typically getting.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
That video is almost 8 months old though. DF’s UI “tour” mentions audio and customized speaker settings starting around 7:50 -

Unfortunately it looks like they skipped right over Accessibility settings, which would answer a lot of other questions.

Idk why these places are so in love with hearing their own voices. He dropped a “So uh, yeah...” every few minutes and never even bothered with several categories. What’s wrong with just some pleasant music and actually showing every setting at least briefly? Would’ve still taken less time.
Shame there were no height speaker options, which helps with that three-dimensional sound Sony is talking so much about. It can't be because he doesn't have an Atmos/DTS:X configuration, because Blu-ray players and consoles don't detect how many speakers you have, they let the receiver decode it. I guess they just aren't allowed to do it for games without purchasing an Atmos license. As someone who uses their TV more with speakers than with headphones, I would have preferred Atmos or DTS:X over this.

Found this funny:

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
COD literally is 250 GBS at launch, Games nowadays are 50 GBS if you're lucky to 100+ GBS if you aren't. All the best games in the world won't matter if you can't play very many. So people's idea was to buy an external hard-drive, transfer from your SSD to your hard drive when you're finished, and then transfer back if there's new content or you feel like replaying.

I think the console race will be closer than people think.

Either that or switch to PC, or stick with their PS4s, and Xbox Ones.
That's the PC install size, the next-gen console install size is 130GBs. You might be able to uninstall parts of it that you don't use. What people? Again, how many people are hooking up external drives to their consoles? I'm guessing it's well under 1%.

How many states do you think Microsoft can flip!?!? But seriously, I really couldn't care less about the console race. And I'm not buying either one of them any time soon, there's no games worth playing.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
That's the PC install size, the next-gen console install size is 130GBs. You might be able to uninstall parts of it that you don't use. What people? Again, how many people are hooking up external drives to their consoles? I'm guessing it's well under 1%.

How many states do you think Microsoft can flip!?!? But seriously, I really couldn't care less about the console race. And I'm not buying either one of them any time soon, there's no games worth playing.
I would say it's quite a lot more than 1 percent, just based on what I've read on forums this generation. Most people would rather buy an external hard drive than replace the internal one.

External hard drives are even advertised being compatible with the PS4 and Xbox One, so obviously there are a lot of people that use them for that. Look:

That's one of the ones I bought to back up my computer files.

Edit: Okay, the Escapist sucks. I can't post the link.

Reactions: stroopwafel

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I would say it's quite a lot more than 1 percent, just based on what I've read on forums this generation. Most people would rather buy an external hard drive than replace the internal one.

External hard drives are even advertised being compatible with the PS4 and Xbox One, so obviously there are a lot of people that use them for that. Look:

Definitely, way more than 1%. Why go through the hassle of replacing the harddrive when you can just plug in an external drive. Allowing that was the best PS4 firmware update in it's existence. Even with a handful of games the internal storage is filled up in no time so it's pretty much a necessity these days.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I don't know anyone who doesn't use an external hdd. They're cheap and easy to use, and can avoid hours of redownloading titles.

Reactions: Gergar12

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I still haven't filled up my PS4. Don't think I've deleted any of the games. But that's because I only bought it for the exclusives and am not interested in playing most of them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Neither one. Talking about transferring games to an external hard drive to free up storage from the mere 667 GB that cannot be expanded yet.
Thats also wrong. It can be expanded with an hdd. It just can be expanded via the extra ssd slot yet

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Thats also wrong. It can be expanded with an hdd. It just can be expanded via the extra ssd slot yet
What do you mean "also." Where have I been wrong with what I've told you, except for what you misinterpreted? The M.2 slot is disabled for the time being, which means everyone is limited to a rumored 667 GB of usable storage. So complaining about not being able to transfer to/from an external hard drive one already has is reasonable. If I were digital only, I would want this option regardless, because SSDs are expensive.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

I have 23 games currently installed on my PS4 on it's OG 500GB drive. I've never once thought about expanding the storage or getting an external drive for it and I'm pretty sure I play more games than the average gamer. From Google, each PS4 has an average attach rate of basically 10 games. Not being able to use an external drive is not at all something the vast vast majority of consumers care about, I don't even care about it and I'm in IT. To call any console "half-baked" (as the video was labeled) because it can't store games on an external drive (at launch) is pretty asinine. Plus, at launch, there's no reason to need that feature since, you know, no games.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't know anyone who doesn't use an external hdd. They're cheap and easy to use, and can avoid hours of redownloading titles.
External hard drives are cheap, external SSDs aren't, and I don't know why anyone would want to use an HDD with the PS5 when a huge reason to get the PS5 is for the super fast load times, which wouldn't be possible with an HDD.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
External hard drives are cheap, external SSDs aren't, and I don't know why anyone would want to use an HDD with the PS5 when a huge reason to get the PS5 is for the super fast load times, which wouldn't be possible with an HDD.
That was obviously in response to the claims about user numbers of external storage on current gen.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I have 23 games currently installed on my PS4 on it's OG 500GB drive. I've never once thought about expanding the storage or getting an external drive for it and I'm pretty sure I play more games than the average gamer. From Google, each PS4 has an average attach rate of basically 10 games. Not being able to use an external drive is not at all something the vast vast majority of consumers care about, I don't even care about it and I'm in IT. To call any console "half-baked" (as the video was labeled) because it can't store games on an external drive (at launch) is pretty asinine. Plus, at launch, there's no reason to need that feature since, you know, no games.
Your personal experience doesn't matter. Multiple people after you said they use external hard drives or know someone who does. Games are bigger than ever, so I guess we'll see how far this gets people until Sony enables it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I doubt they would even play right played from the external HDD. But transferring to and from the SSD would be great for all those people in America with bandwidth caps. I can only download one terabyte a month, which makes discs more appealing. Not to mention that it takes inconveniently long to download 90 GB.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That was obviously in response to the claims about user numbers of external storage on current gen.
Couldnt you just swap the games you had "active" from the hdd to the sdd for the fast loading when you wanted it.

I cant believe people are making such a big deal about storage for a console that isnt even out yet. Like you realize you dont have to throw away the old console right? The one with all your games?

Like if you are just going to play a bunch of ps4 games, then dont even get a ps5. Just wait to upgrade until there are enough games that you want on the new system. And even then just save you old system to play other games instead of transfering over and eating up all your precious new system storage.

If you can handle how the games play now, then you can handle playing then without the slightly faster loading speed from ps5.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Couldnt you just swap the games you had "active" from the hdd to the sdd for the fast loading when you wanted it.

I cant believe people are making such a big deal about storage for a console that isnt even out yet. Like you realize you dont have to throw away the old console right? The one with all your games?

Like if you are just going to play a bunch of ps4 games, then dont even get a ps5. Just wait to upgrade until there are enough games that you want on the new system. And even then just save you old system to play other games instead of transfering over and eating up all your precious new system storage.

If you can handle how the games play now, then you can handle playing then without the slightly faster loading speed from ps5.
Did you quote the wrong person?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Your personal experience doesn't matter. Multiple people after you said they use external hard drives or know someone who does. Games are bigger than ever, so I guess we'll see how far this gets people until Sony enables it.
That's why I posted the average PS4 attach rate that has nothing to do with me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For what it’s worth -

Guessing a future firmware update will allow better external support, like PS4 if enough people complain otherwise.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The vast majority of consumers also only play CoD, Fifa, Minecraft, Fortnite or GTA5 so these numbers are pretty irrelevant. Games I don't like or which I completed but won't feel like playing again I delete from the system but even then space fills up in no time. For example FF7 Remake alone is over 90 GB. With the 500GB launch PS4(with about 30GB reserved for firmare updates) that is almost like a fifth. If you have 23 games installed probably 20 of those are indies. I agree it's not a problem at launch but external ssd support is definitely something they should update rather sooner than later.

That's a kind of reductionist approach. Many people who pre-ordered a PS5 for DeS for example aren't 'done' with PS4 yet and it's nice that there is this continuity with the new system. So many great titles have come out that you might want to revisit in the future so it's great that you can play them all on one console without having to rotate systems or having them plugged in or replace when they break. It also gives the PS5 a huge library from the start. When games aren't seen as just disposable toys it will also give a new generation of gamers the chance to play a classic like Bloodborne for example(instead of being relegated to an obsolete system like the original DeS).

Reactions: Ezekiel