First Look at Fallout: New Vegas

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Scale's similar to Fallout 3?

I heard a rumor it was gonna be drastically bigger than Fallout 3.

But anyway, as long as I can be certain that New Vegas's wasteland won't just copy-paste the Capital Wasteland and repaint it, I think it will worth a look regardless of the hype.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Andronicus said:
There's a mod to fix that (an extra 100 songs, and in the right style), and it also adds commercials. While that doesn't sound particularly enticing, it's more awesome when you realise they're actually ads from the 50's.
There's also the CONELRAD 640-1240 mod that adds in the emergency broadcast system radio. Includes about 55 new tracks, and also around 22 minutes of PSAs and civil defence announcements.

...and if you want something completely different, there is Existence 2.0...

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This all sounds awesome enough, but I'm getting rather wary of hype. Consider for instance, statements like this:

Unlike in Fallout 3, where you could nuke the town of Megaton and maybe two or three people would notice, Obsidian promises that your actions in New Vegas will have a dramatic affect on how the game plays out.
Game developers have been saying stuff like this for years and years, and rarely if ever do they manage to pull it off. The simple enough reason is that going for the 'actions have consequences' approach means that the programmers have to map out each and every single option that you can take and all possible combinations of said options, and that takes incredible time and a whole lot of debugging, which most companies can't afford with publishers breathing down their necks. So in practice, hype like this usually translates into one of two things: either you have an extremely trimmed down system, like what is described here in relation to Megaton, or you end up with a blanket 'moral choice' system, where consequences are plotted on a linear level in accordance with the player's 'alignment'.

Also, it's 'effect', not 'affect'. Affect is the verbal form of effect.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Andronicus said:
Low Key said:
Yes! Except I hope they have a few more songs. I could play FO3 for a half an hour and hear the same song twice.
There's a mod to fix that (an extra 100 songs, and in the right style), and it also adds commercials. While that doesn't sound particularly enticing, it's more awesome when you realise they're actually ads from the 50's.
That sounds pretty cool actually, except I don't game on my PC. Not even the original Fallout games run smoothly on my machine.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Low Key said:
Andronicus said:
Low Key said:
Yes! Except I hope they have a few more songs. I could play FO3 for a half an hour and hear the same song twice.
That sounds pretty cool actually, except I don't game on my PC. Not even the original Fallout games run smoothly on my machine.
Ah. Sorry, didn't think of that. Yeah, if it's an RPG by Bethesda, you'd be much better off getting it on computer. Better controls, graphics, mods, everything. in fact, it's probably worth forking out for a new computer just so you can play Fallout: New Vegas on PC. That's pretty much what I did for Fallout 3. If you can't even run old-school Fallout properly on yours, I'd say it's about time for an upgrade anyway.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Andronicus said:
Low Key said:
Andronicus said:
Low Key said:
Ah. Sorry, didn't think of that. Yeah, if it's an RPG by Bethesda, you'd be much better off getting it on computer. Better controls, graphics, mods, everything. in fact, it's probably worth forking out for a new computer just so you can play Fallout: New Vegas on PC. That's pretty much what I did for Fallout 3. If you can't even run old-school Fallout properly on yours, I'd say it's about time for an upgrade anyway.
Haha I just got it last year. Honestly, all I really need is a better video card. Maybe some day soon.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
InterAirplay said:
I got the PS3 version (don't look at me like that, it was a hard choice to make, and I couldn't afford PC upgrades at the time) and... well, yeah. What a total, total mess of problems. I have only ever successfully sat the GOAT once in about 4 playthroughs. Every time I would sit down and wait for the test to come, and it never would. I'd be stuck there, at that desk, for eternity until I loaded my last save and skipped the test. Not to mention the huge framerate issues, the constant freezing, the faulty textures, the stuttering jarring model and texture changes when moving towards distant ground, and.....
GOD THIS!!! The GOAT glitch was easily the worst. I eventually just decided to save right before I walked into the room.

I was in the same boat when I bought FO3. I couldn't afford to upgrade my PC, but I could afford a $60 game for my PS3. If I had one complaint about FO3 it's how much of a buggy mess it is on the PS3, freeze ups, frame rates dropping to like slogging through the mud. Despite all of this I'm still playing FO3 trying to get the last of the achievements (still need to buckle down and do The Pitt and get my character up to 30) because I enjoy the game that much.

If they fix these issues in New Vegas, I'll be a happy camper (or screw it, I'll just buy the PC version since I finally got a shiny new PC).

...Also I agree. I played the first two Fallout games back in the day, I much preferred Fallout 3's first person real time action. When I wanted to slow things down, that's what VATS was for.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, this sounds great so far. A truly classic RPG game, repackaged as a modern FPS. Not that the first third fallout (wait what?) was not that, but this one... seems to be... way more so.

Also, are you sure the grenade machine gun is exactly what it sounds like? Because it sounds like a machine gun that explodes. That's not very useful!

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
The Random One said:
Well, this sounds great so far. A truly classic RPG game, repackaged as a modern FPS. Not that the first third fallout (wait what?) was not that, but this one... seems to be... way more so.

Also, are you sure the grenade machine gun is exactly what it sounds like? Because it sounds like a machine gun that explodes. That's not very useful!
I finally got my back order copy of Game Informer (it came free with the Edge card, don't look at me that way) and read their thing about New Vegas (only part I did read) ya know the Mini Gun in FO3? Now imagine it shooting grenades.

I'm really excited for this, it sounds like it's going to be an amazing game. I don't mind the difficulty aiming in 3 since I have enough grenades mines and ammo to supply an army and I'm not even halfway through my one save file (gotta love the scrounger perk, but I do wonder how they fit 20 missiles in one of those ammo boxes)

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
fucking yiiiiieah!

im a huuuuge fan of bet-hes-da, so naturally im hyped as HELL for this.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
This is looking more and more intresting the more I hear about it. I am looking forward to seeing it come out...havnt had a reason to play Fallout in a while ;_;

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Fucking A, this looks awesome. Hardcore mode, weapons which fit the setting, and just pure fallout goodness. Hopefully, this one won't get slamed by no mutants allowed, since it's being made by the old development crew.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
This is probably going to be fallout with a different setting, new weapons and combat and more noticable consequences of your actions, so they're not radically changing too much.

But that's not to say it's bad, I can't wait for this myself!