First Look at Fallout: New Vegas

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
seule said:
Just happy to see that they seems to have taken some of the ideas from some of the really good player-created mods and decided to use them. And if it's GECK compatible that would be even more awesome.
Any word on mod support? I'd love to see them make it compatible with GECK and as easy to mod as Fallout 3 was. I have 160 hours on one character and I'm running almost 100 mods. Awesome stuff on the PC.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I am so excited to finally hear about this game in a little bit of depth.

I know I will be buying it on the first day now!

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
ABout friggin' time some Black Isle/Obsidian Eye-people came by and showed how to make a real fallout-game! HELL YES! Can't wait for this! Altough I'm still sad we didn't see the original fallout 3 by Black Isle. I hope this is their comeback! HELL YEAH!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Alot of people see to be confused to what exactly is this game if it's not an add-on or sequel.

It's more like New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Vice City was to GTA3.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
"Instead, we have Bethesda's Fallout 3, which, while lovingly faithful to the world of Fallout, has gone in a number of directions that run counter to the originals. That's not a criticism."

..no! You really had me fooled there for a second with the fanboy rant.

Hopefully, I've forgotten Fallout 3 before New Vegas comes out. ...which is probably going to happen, if it takes as long to release as Alpha Protocol. :D

thatcanadianguy

Feb 15, 2009
Nevyrmoore said:
baseracer said:
thenamelessloser said:
My only problem so far is the "arcade game" to decide the character's stats at the beginning. I hope it isn't some really bad mini game that is frustrating or boring.
Its not like its going to take forever. Only 5 minutes.
And it might actually be more interesting then "Mr. Blahblah tels you to blahblahblah the blahblah. But that would blahblahblahblahblah. What do you blah?"
lol, i always skipped that part and never took the test. just picked my own stats n such.

im excited for this game. so is a friend of mine. after the big let down of FO3, he thought the series was dead after fo2. now hes excited again. FO new vegas better not dissappoint or i shall immolate the disk and feed its remains to rabid dogs.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
This game sounds like it's gonna be great. I'm really looking forward to the game.

I only hope that it won't be thrown onto the market half-finished like KotOR II was.

Mackheath said:
I got the PS3 version (don't look at me like that, it was a hard choice to make, and I couldn't afford PC upgrades at the time) and... well, yeah. What a total, total mess of problems. I have only ever successfully sat the GOAT once in about 4 playthroughs. Every time I would sit down and wait for the test to come, and it never would. I'd be stuck there, at that desk, for eternity until I loaded my last save and skipped the test. Not to mention the huge framerate issues, the constant freezing, the faulty textures, the stuttering jarring model and texture changes when moving towards distant ground, and.....
Odd, I can't recall encountering any bugs in Fallout 3 that would be worth mentioning. It crashed about 5 times on me so far, but that's not too bad considering the time I've played the game in total. Maybe the console versions have more problems? Or I was just really lucky.

Edit: It would be really nice to see some actual footage of the game by now.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
You had me at "weapons customization".

Just pre-ordered it. I was on the fence whether or not I should wait a while after it came out to see other people's reactions to it but this has nudged me in the right direction. Thanks for that.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Even though some of this has been known for while, since i check out the Bethesda Forums... it's could that people are now knowing some of this awesome info. Everything about this game just seems awesome. I particularly like modding my weapons.

Some other stuff that have been said on the Bethesda forums is that Hardcore mode with make it a requirement to drink water so you don't get dehydrated and to sleep aswell etc.

Also, IGN has an Article and some screenshots too aswell.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
HK_01 said:
Odd, I can't recall encountering any bugs in Fallout 3 that would be worth mentioning. It crashed about 5 times on me so far, but that's not too bad considering the time I've played the game in total. Maybe the console versions have more problems? Or I was just really lucky.
No, it worked fine if you didn't go back and forth too much, or triggered quests a bit randomly. But all the versions had logical game-breaking bugs if you knew where to look. If you spent any amount of time going for some sub-quests, you would find one of these bugs.

Of course - the way the intertron works, is that if Obsidian has one bug in their game, it will be marked as unfinished. But if Bethesda or Bioware has ten bugs, it will be perfectly fine.

I mean, the reason why KOTOR2 was unfinished, was that they cut out a bunch of content. Very few spaces in that game that had game-breaking bugs. You could play through it with less grief than in a play-through of Fallout 3. Hangs?.. didn't have any hangs in KOTOR2. I had many in Fallout 3. For the strangest reasons. Loads of fights and scripted events in Fallout 3 was clearly broken. Didn't happen the way they were supposed to. Lots of events and quest items with overlap, or that just didn't trigger, and became lost. Same with missing dialogue-paths, or paths that ended in broken quests, or just didn't end in anything. ..didn't have any of that even in KOTOR2..

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
nipsen said:
HK_01 said:
No, it worked fine if you didn't go back and forth too much, or triggered quests a bit randomly. But all the versions had logical game-breaking bugs if you knew where to look. If you spent any amount of time going for some sub-quests, you would find one of these bugs.

Of course - the way the intertron works, is that if Obsidian has one bug in their game, it will be marked as unfinished. But if Bethesda or Bioware has ten bugs, it will be perfectly fine.

I mean, the reason why KOTOR2 was unfinished, was that they cut out a bunch of content. Very few spaces in that game that had game-breaking bugs. You could play through it with less grief than in a play-through of Fallout 3. Hangs?.. didn't have any hangs in KOTOR2. I had many in Fallout 3. For the strangest reasons. Loads of fights and scripted events in Fallout 3 was clearly broken. Didn't happen the way they were supposed to. Lots of events and quest items with overlap, or that just didn't trigger, and became lost. Same with missing dialogue-paths, or paths that ended in broken quests, or just didn't end in anything. ..didn't have any of that even in KOTOR2..
I guess I just was really lucky then. I did not encounter any of these problems so far.

And KotOR II definitely did have major problems, such as talking to HK-47 and he says something about a factory where the HK-50s are produced which he would like to destroy and it clearly leads up to some quest but that section of the game was cut out.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
*froths at mouth*
Oh my, DO WANT.
I'm looking forward to this more than ever now, I especially love that they're placing more emphasis on your reputation, which is great.

MiracleOfSound said:
Did I just hear someone say 'tighter shooting controls'??

I just came.
This too, V.A.T.S was nice and all, but to have the option to rely on your own shooting skill whenever you want? Oh my yes...

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Excited as all hell for this game, it sounds awesome. Funnily enough, my copy of Fallout 3 wasn't buggy to the point of disappearing items, just guns upside down and characters appearing after they'd been shot. It just crashed.. but the same thing happens with all my games as my Xbox is rather shat.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
This sounds very promising. Fallout 3 was a flawed master piece, and from the looks of it they're cleaning up the flaws (better FPS elements, funny/clever story ect).

While I loved Fallout 3 I'm glad to see it in the hands of the original Fallout team. F3 is a great game but an awful sequel. Hopefully this will be rectified.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
HK_01 said:
And KotOR II definitely did have major problems, such as talking to HK-47 and he says something about a factory where the HK-50s are produced which he would like to destroy and it clearly leads up to some quest but that section of the game was cut out.
..no, that's not fair. It was a reference HK-47 makes. He says something about the planet - it's a comment, and that's that. The door in the base triggers a short silent sequence as well, saying something about "what could possibly be behind this door?". But it's a placeholder. It's not interrupting the game, or stopping you from completing the quest. And it's not a missing dialogue path in the sense that you say: Let's go to the droid planet, gather the party and.. And then you just warp back to an inescapable loading screen, or something like that. It's clearly just cut out content that never was finished.

The same with the dialogue and the sequences towards the ending. All that dialogue exists on the disc.. the scene scripts don't.

Or the Visas scenes - here you have Lucasarts execs demanding a few of the existing paths on Nihilus' ship being taken out, apparently. Some of the dark side paths.. The in-game rendered cutscenes were also replaced with a crappy fmv of the game-engine, in order to make it run properly on the xbox. There are community patches for the pc version that restore this, though.. :) Team-gizka made those..

But the point was that the game runs all the way through with minimal issues. There are a few flags out of place. But you won't actually get to a point where a sub-quest regularly doesn't complete unless you "just reload the game". If that even works..

..as long as we're comparing with Fallout 3, I mean...

And don't get me started on the actual difference in depth of the dialogue and event triggers in KOTOR2 compared to Fallout 3... :/ I mean, you can allow for some bugs when they come from event trigger maps that don't depend on one single state flag.

Example: on the jedi council planet, there are the two feuding families thing going on. That quest has events out of place. You could trigger an event there that shouldn't before the first patch. Of course - that's something you wouldn't actually do if you were trying to solve the quest. Because you already have resolved the issue - you're not just happening to go into something and restart the quest from the other side - you have to complete the quest, and then go somewhere the game clearly doesn't want you to go before finding the bug.

In Fallout 3, you can get bugs like that during the quest. When walking around in the way the game wants you to. There's.. a difference here, all I'm saying..

Fallout 3 also does not have dual scenarios playing out at the same time. Kotor2 had that, where paths you choose off planet affects what happens elsewhere, and the other way around. Of course, it's a linear scenario, but it requires a way to structure either of the interactive parts in a way that hides the changes from the player when they go through. And that's a challenge. In Fallout 3 they just don't have those. They solved the challenge by just not doing anything like this at all.

So why are there more bugs in Fallout 3? I mean, it could hang on the intro-level. It did hang for a lot of people. Either at the GOAT test, or at the part where you try to leave the vault. What's up with that? The choices you make in the vault never come back to you either. The girl just hates you no matter what. I mean, that's just lazy for one. And then they still have those trigger-bugs? pff..

Dmatix

Feb 3, 2009
I'm a huge Fallout fan, and I can only hope the game will be as good as it sounds.