Flash Game Makes Players Beat Up "Tropes vs. Women" Creator

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
darkfox85 said:
runic knight said:
The problem here is that you, like her, point at the frothing 4chan mob and declare them a fair representation of gamers.
I?m an avid gamer myself y?know, and like I said in my first post, ?me and mine are what Americans would call Liberal.? You haven?t read or understood that, and once again show that you?re presumptuous and overly defensive. I have no way tied the entirety of gamer culture to be the lowest common denominator because to do so would be tying me and mine down as well. But neither has Anita. It?s just a shame she generated the response she did, and it?s a further shame that you?ve jumped to such a conclusion to beat yourself and your community with the victim stick.

runic knight said:
I just find it dishonest to claim that such an asshat justifies support for his opposition. One bad apple does not ruin the bunch here... [W]hen you out and out say the reason you made the final decision to side with her is because of the trolls that were intentionally riled up, it suggests you are only doing it because of the response of the trolls intentionally riled up.
Alright. You do deserve a little clarification and credit.

?The backlash and the reactions against Sarkeesian not only firmly put me on her side, but made me decide to take up feminism again.? - Me

I don?t really give much detail did I? Maybe I should?ve. But you jumped to a lot of conclusions without a more in-depth discussion and then laid a bunch of condescending personal attacks against me and I responded in kind. Why not just ask me first before you came out with all that nonsense? (And suspiciously quickly I might add.)

But like I said to someone else, I suppose I wasn?t too clear. I felt angry before this flashgame showed up but this game is hatred and insanity which I suppose broke the camels back. But I don?t care how you rationalise and apologise for the insane outcry. We all knew this would be controversial but I think something larger, deeper, and more insidious is going on. With this comment, please don?t assume I?m tarring all of us with the same brush. Give me a *little* more credit than that, huh?

I?m showing the backlash had a backlash, and I think I?m justified. You hate the insane responses to her as much as I do (despite respectfully disagreeing with her a little more than me,) so do you not think I?m at least partially justified, even if you perhaps still feel my logic is flawed, irrational, and lazy?

runic knight said:
[T]he stupidity of making a decision because of the loudmouthed in the crowd.
Again, I ask if you?ve had a look at the outrage? This is huge, and despite seeing some decent arguments being put against her that I agree with, this is going way, way too far. The error is not in my reasoning, but with fairness, not entirely in your judgement. But mostly your judgement.

runic knight said:
This suggests that your claims to be aware of everything is nothing but bullshit.
My criticism of 4chan does not do that. You?re deliberately being dismissive.

runic knight said:
You know, since her vid was spammed over 4chan, a place notorious for trolls and is what fueled the worst of what she got in terms of asshat commentators.
I don?t feel anyone ?asks? for this sort of behaviour and I think you?re actually overestimating 4chans importance in the backlash (if I may be so bold.) If this was some Machiavellian gambit on Anita?s part, it?s really sad that it paid off. Most of the people I?m talking to with on youtube right now (yes, I?m one of those irritating people, sue me) are pretty clearly not 4chan people. But how would I know that? It?s a good question. A better one is how would you?

runic knight said:
But please, actually address my point if you would. Is it fair to look at the worst and say they represent the whole? I would hope your response is a "no", though since you fail to understand my point of raising it before I don't know.
Of course it?s a fucking no! I don?t consider myself the worst of the worst, and all my gamer buddies are even better than me. I would?ve hoped you assumed that being a member of a gaming community I play games both as a hobby and social experience. But instead you assume I?m trying to attack the whole gamer community. I?m not. I have never even made a slight towards it. I?d ask if you think this affair is out of order, but I think you already do.

runic knight said:
To put it more directly, she claims the trolls represent gamers as a whole after her video was baited over the assholes of the web. This is akin to saying all bears are killers after wrapping steak around yourself and jumping into a bit of starving bears. It IS dishonest representation.
Oh the trolls represent something alright. They?ve been trying to silence her in any way they can and the attacks are bellow the belt. Par for the course? Yes. Worthy of being ignored? Definitely not. I can understand if Anita feels that way; you have to admit the reaction has been huge, and perhaps we should lend support for her right to free speech and if she does think all gamers are swine, let us prove her wrong on this front. If the later videos she makes meets with the same ?criticism,? maybe we should take a look at our own community and see what?s wrong with it. I have criticisms small and large of every group I?m a member of and every philosophy I subscribe to. Doesn?t mean I hate them now does it? But Anita?s only crime is existing.

runic knight said:
I know nothing of you except what opinion you posted, which,m as you still seem to keep defending the whole "they were assholes so I will side with her" crap, it IS a sad depressing state. I use that to condemn your opinion because that is all you put of your opinion on this measure.
Maybe I should?ve wrote more. It doesn?t excuse the nonsense you came out with (only a little bit.) I never thought it would cause this much confusion.

runic knight said:
Not quite my case, more so that you may only care because of the vile directed at her is using her gender as a point to attack by.
I really hated that Christmas songs video of hers. Storm in a tea cup and faintly insulting. Other vids? Not bad. Some others? Rather interesting actually! And I like the professional flair to it all. I wonder what she?ll have to say about something that?s a little closer to home for me? Maybe I might learn something! I don?t blame anyone for donating.

runic knight said:
But it wasn't an accusation in the end, merely a thought on the matter. the lack of integrity is, and one I will argue still as I have above, but the other aspect is merely an aside about you. As it isn't an accusation, does that mean the rest of your fault counterargument of "You made a bad accusation therefore the opposite is true" falls apart? Or will you try to rework it because you already think I am some sexist asshole when really I am just sick of bullshit logic being perpetuated as justification.
Accusation? Thought? Aside? You?re a slippery one I?ll give you that. As for the ?You made a bad accusation therefore the opposite is true? thing... I never had that strain of logic because it?s flawed. It was closer to judging you on the evidence of the baseless judgements you placed upon me. Or thoughts. Or ?not accusations.? And my accusations (or judgements) were not baseless, because you laid the criticism at me first. If I was wrong, I was wrong. But I know for a fact you?re wrong about me.

runic knight said:
The way you present it, it is as though there are only the two choice, with her or sexist.
*sigh* No I fucking don?t! I never suggested that for goodness sake! Maybe some other are but I don?t. I know plenty who oppose her and aren?t sexist (again, youtube chatting) and I know this then and now. I don?t understand why you feel this way and I?m upset that you do! Maybe other people feel I?m saying that? I don?t want to upset people (at least not some of them.)

Qualifier: I know I left large parts of the post unaddressed. I felt they were adequately explained elsewhere and also I?m tired. If there is anything you wish to call me out on, take aim.

But I?ll say this in closing. On her blog she thanked her supporters both female and male, and I think she acknowledges that not all gamers are total scum. Frankly, between threats of rape and murder and some other shocking stuff, I wonder if I could say the same thing if I were in her position, rather than tell the internet just to fuck itself (but that?d probably do more harm than good.)
I'll admit first off I was a bit harsh in my initial statement. Having spent an hour and a half essentially beating my head against a wall arguing over the same point there as here (reactionary impulse response just to avoid being part of the "bad" side), I did vent a little more on you then I should. I'm sorry for that, though I do stand by my rational, if not so much on my condemnation of you for your stance. So I guess, I am sorry for swinging with a hammer when I shoulda used a rolled up newspaper.

Now, anita has used the response on her vids as justification for them and condemnation on games. A quote from her vid description itself
The trolls only managed to prove to everyone that sexism in gaming is indeed a huge problem.
is just one of several examples. And an example of the entirely flawed logical process I railed against. Now yours was more interpreted from what you said about how the reaction of one side prompted you into support of the other. This suggested that you tied the opposition to her together, regardless of differentiation between assholes and people with valid complaints. Simply put, it sounded like you couldn't differentiate between them, using the assholes as reason to support her. That was were I derived the stances from, not an attempt to gain victim status, merely to point out a failed justification.

Now, I explained the logical steps of how I came to the conclusion on your stance, so it is a little unfair to call it a jump. Incomplete or incorrect perhaps, but not a leap of logic but a train of thought.

As for something larger, I don't know. That is part of the complaint I have with the way she does lump everything into camps and seems to spur on the trolls. In doing so, you can't tell the real fire from the smoke and anything derived from it will be questionable and nearly worthless. Now if her vid wasn't spammed all over 4chan, if she was a previously known unbiased personality presenting this and if the gaming community looked at her like an actual journalist before she posted this and then it got this sort of hate then you'd have a lot better case. But that isn't what was. I can not in good conscious look at what happened as a sign of the gaming community in any real degree. Actually, no, there is one thing i can draw from this, and that is a positive. The gaming community (as well as non gamers who watched the vid and donated) went above and beyond the call of duty in supporting her in spite of the trolls. I could point to that as a counterpoint to the trolls as showing gamers supporting her ideal in the same light you would as a sign of a greater problem.

I think backlashes in general are not that wise if they are done for the sake of backlash. Think of it along the lines of hating Justin Beiber because he is famous. Just...sort of dumb to me.

Again, I have looked at it. I have seen people driven into a frenzy of rage and bile before as well. And what has happened to her is not isolated to her alone. Politicians of both genders have had punch-them games. Countless youtubers have dealt with vile and comment section spam. Again, I can not see this as more then it is: Bile and hate stirred and spurred by 4chan trolls propagated by her own baiting of said trolls.

Being that many people mention the main reason she got so much response is because within minutes of releasing the vid, it was spammed over 4chan, not being aware of it's importance in this mess suggests less of an understanding then you were claiming.

As for her own hand in spamming it, that has been questioned, though I will see if I can't find the gathered evidence about it so far that someone had posted. She has used the response though, spinning it into justifications, egging on the trolls in some cases and, of course, taking money way above and beyond the asked for amount to the point of ridiculousness. As for why it is important, it is because it is the flash mob of the internet. suddenly, trolls everywhere. It got attention and people, seeing the trolling, follow suit. And there was also the confrontation and battles with them in the comment section that spurred more asshattery. I wont say they were all just trolls, but I will say that things would have been much different and no where near as horrid if her vids weren't spammed over the asshole of the net. More likely then not it would have reached the usual audience, then faded away, not really acknowledged. There is indeed motive in making controversy.

Now, I don't think they should be ignored, that is not what I am saying. I just think they should not be made out to be something they are not. And representatives of gamers as a community is something they are not. Anita's "crime" to me is her dishonest representation of gamers, games as a medium in general, and her lack of credibility. I am not so blind to not know the community has problems, in many areas, but I find her and the way she goes about the task of addressing the problem she sees as a horrible example of what not to do. I likened the problems with games as similar to all media and all story-telling mediums. I've compared sexism as a symptom of this larger problem and her... preference... of attacking it the same as someone being told to take a cough suppressant when coughing because of lung cancer. It masks the problem but doesn't fix it. And in masking it, it can make it worse in the long run.
If we are to look at ourselves a community and games as a whole, we need to look at it from different perceptive then her biased ideals of sexism in everything. As it is, she is becoming the boy who cried wolf and the publicity she has now will tire of her as they hear the claims of sexism and go "not again" with a groan.

I don't blame people for donating. I blame them for donating because they see a bunch of trolls posting bile on her channel. But that is my personal distaste behavior motivated like that. Seems far too similar to the mentality that allow dictators to cease power after a false flag operation. A lazy uniformed response guided by spite or fear or disgust. Though, in a sense, some would say that this is what this was.

I may have been wrong, but I based it off what you gave and showed how it was wrong and the implications of what you said. My argument was valid, which is all I can hope for. Wither or not it was correct is a different part of things. Surely, though I may have been mistaken, you can see how the conclusions drawn were based in a rational train of thought.

Again, I merely explain the implications of what you said. An expression of siding with one over the other because of what a portion of one group did offended you, well, such a stance has flaws. And they have conclusions, such as implications the asshats represent the whole and that you are either with or against the asshats (who, as representing the whole, the entirety of one side would be asshats.) When switching ou the word asshat for sexist, you can come to the conclusion of one side being sexist and the other not.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
well since the backlash was deliberately fueled by 4chan spamming which increased the interest and the amount she earned it does indeed look suspicious.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
lmao agreed thanks for digging that up. No respect for her now.

Im supposed to believe that someone pretending to be her spammed 4chan for money for her under her name? not entirely outlandish but not nearly as likely either.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Those celebrity beat'em ups have been a thing for many years now, i'm not really surprised someone made one for her too.

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
runic knight said:
I'll admit first off I was a bit harsh in my initial statement. Having spent an hour and a half essentially beating my head against a wall arguing over the same point there as here (reactionary impulse response just to avoid being part of the "bad" side), I did vent a little more on you then I should. I'm sorry for that, though I do stand by my rational, if not so much on my condemnation of you for your stance. So I guess, I am sorry for swinging with a hammer when I shoulda used a rolled up newspaper...

Now yours was more interpreted from what you said about how the reaction of one side prompted you into support of the other. This suggested that you tied the opposition to her together, regardless of differentiation between assholes and people with valid complaints. Simply put, it sounded like you couldn't differentiate between them, using the assholes as reason to support her. That was were I derived the stances from, not an attempt to gain victim status, merely to point out a failed justification.

Now, I explained the logical steps of how I came to the conclusion on your stance, so it is a little unfair to call it a jump. Incomplete or incorrect perhaps, but not a leap of logic but a train of thought.

[taken from the end and repositioned]

I may have been wrong, but I based it off what you gave and showed how it was wrong and the implications of what you said. My argument was valid, which is all I can hope for. Wither or not it was correct is a different part of things. Surely, though I may have been mistaken, you can see how the conclusions drawn were based in a rational train of thought.

Again, I merely explain the implications of what you said. An expression of siding with one over the other because of what a portion of one group did offended you, well, such a stance has flaws. And they have conclusions, such as implications the asshats represent the whole and that you are either with or against the asshats (who, as representing the whole, the entirety of one side would be asshats.) When switching ou the word asshat for sexist, you can come to the conclusion of one side being sexist and the other not.
I hate it when people apologise to me online. All my hot air just leaks out and leaves me feeling empty. It makes me feel like a real arsehole. But I deserve that. I?m sorry to.

Actually this [aside, skip paragraph if you like] isn?t the first time this has happened today. Another youtuber said he was sorry for saying I had drunk all the koolaid. I accepted but...um... I still don?t know what that means. I know koolaid is an American soft drink, but is he saying it contains alcohol? Was he saying the source of my ?stupid? views was because I was drunk? If he was... yeah he?s got a handle on me there.

Your rational was fine. From your POV I was essentially doing anti-conformity-conformity (or something like that) and I?ve called out that shit myself in the past. That?s an oversimplification of what it may?ve looked like I was doing, but it was something along those lines and even though there was more to it, who gives a toss now anyway? I wasn?t in the mood to write a long post... bugger.

But it was never a knee-jerk thing. I?d already arrived at some such conclusion and it was more a bitter middle finger to the undesirable elements. I had a feeling something like this flash game would show up. I know that the internet is a place where the stars don?t shine. Fuck. Count the days until there?s a rape variant.

runic knight said:
Now, anita has used the response on her vids as justification for them and condemnation on games. A quote from her vid description itself
The trolls only managed to prove to everyone that sexism in gaming is indeed a huge problem.
is just one of several examples. And an example of the entirely flawed logical process I railed against.

As for something larger, I don't know. That is part of the complaint I have with the way she does lump everything into camps and seems to spur on the trolls. In doing so, you can't tell the real fire from the smoke and anything derived from it will be questionable and nearly worthless.

Now if her vid wasn't spammed all over 4chan, if she was a previously known unbiased personality presenting this and if the gaming community looked at her like an actual journalist before she posted this and then it got this sort of hate then you'd have a lot better case. But that isn't what was. I can not in good conscious look at what happened as a sign of the gaming community in any real degree. Actually, no, there is one thing i can draw from this, and that is a positive. The gaming community (as well as non gamers who watched the vid and donated) went above and beyond the call of duty in supporting her in spite of the trolls. I could point to that as a counterpoint to the trolls as showing gamers supporting her ideal in the same light you would as a sign of a greater problem.
Not quite a condemnation of games, but I genuinely believe the response is actually fair justification for her. But then again without the response it would still be totally cool to go ahead anyway. I?m convinced there is *something* wrong, and it deserves to be explored, and I think she?s both the best and worst person to do it. I don?t exactly know what is wrong though. By that I mean, in a chin-stroking ?what-does-it-all-mean? kind of way. I feel like I?m scratching a fresh scab and picking just makes things harder to see for the blood.

As for spurring on the trolls, I?m still convinced this is a side-effect of her videos simply existing. Like I said, there was no way this wouldn?t be controversial. Looking at the political landscape of both the USA and the UK and the sweltering anti-feminist vibe (justified or not) therein, I get the impression not much baiting on her part would really be needed. That might well be a jump on my part, or perhaps me just reflecting the frankly scary attitudes of the city I live in, but I don?t think it?s unreasonable.

And this is something that?s played on my mind for years and despite my disillusionment and consequent rejection of feminism a few years ago, it never really left me. (By the way, this outrage didn?t really inspire my defection back to feminism. A lot of things did.) It?s still to hot to handle for now though. But I know enough to know I don?t like any of it. Not, one, bit.

But as for taking a positive from the fact that she was (indeed) supported despite the trolls... hmm. I never had you pegged for glass-half-pull kinda person, and there?s a point to be made there for sure. Silver lining and all that. But I just can?t share this view. As far as I?m concerned, not enough has materialised in the positive and too much has come forth in the negative. It?s hopelessly disproportionate, and I?m afraid I?m going to have to accuse you of selective interpretation. I?m sorry. I think I know what you?ll say to that.

runic knight said:
I think backlashes in general are not that wise if they are done for the sake of backlash. Think of it along the lines of hating Justin Beiber because he is famous. Just...sort of dumb to me.
I call it the Joyloath Effect. People love to hate, and there is a truth to the maxim ?there?s no good or bad publicity. Just publicity.? Bob Ezrin knew it all too well and made stars of Alice Cooper and Kiss back in their day. I do hate the effect it has (twilight, Kardashians, Michael Bay, etc) but in the case of Anita, it?s something I?m interested in and thus I don?t care if I inadvertently give her publicity. In fact, I may even like it.

runic knight said:
Again, I have looked at it. I have seen people driven into a frenzy of rage and bile before as well. And what has happened to her is not isolated to her alone. Politicians of both genders have had punch-them games. Countless youtubers have dealt with vile and comment section spam. Again, I can not see this as more then it is: Bile and hate stirred and spurred by 4chan trolls propagated by her own baiting of said trolls.
Vicious treatment of politicians and celebrities does not excuse it. And I mean that, even for politicians. I was going to talk about wealth and a position of prestige being a nice benefit that youtubers don?t have, but looking at the donation and massive soapbox with which she has been provided, I doubt that point holds much water. But what does hold water is that she doesn?t have one tenth the influence and 0% political power and consequently influence in peoples lives, so the comparison still falls apart. She?s not a politician, she?s a critic.

Other youtubers and cultural critics have had to deal with it to but I can?t think of the last time someone has tackled a subject like this and received the hostility of this magnitude. As for the baiting, it?s still a grey area for me as evidence is sparse and deeply questionable.

runic knight said:
Being that many people mention the main reason she got so much response is because within minutes of releasing the vid, it was spammed over 4chan, not being aware of it's importance in this mess suggests less of an understanding then you were claiming.
It?s too bad they reacted in the way they did. Too bad indeed. Even if she or someone in her staff did orchestrate this whole affair, had they not, the vilest of the internet would?ve caught wind of a big project (to which donations had been so generous) like this sooner or later and the backlash might?ve been more drawn out and less acute but still there. I?m not sure we?ll ever know for sure and my theories are nought but speculation. What if it really wasn?t her fault? What if the response was bigger than 4chan?

runic knight said:
As for her own hand in spamming it, that has been questioned, though I will see if I can't find the gathered evidence about it so far that someone had posted. She has used the response though, spinning it into justifications, egging on the trolls in some cases and, of course, taking money way above and beyond the asked for amount to the point of ridiculousness. As for why it is important, it is because it is the flash mob of the internet. suddenly, trolls everywhere. It got attention and people, seeing the trolling, follow suit. And there was also the confrontation and battles with them in the comment section that spurred more asshattery. I wont say they were all just trolls, but I will say that things would have been much different and no where near as horrid if her vids weren't spammed over the asshole of the net. More likely then not it would have reached the usual audience, then faded away, not really acknowledged. There is indeed motive in making controversy.
Sort of linked to what I said above, but I must admit, if we can get evidence as to what extent her and hers played it would raise an eyebrow for me. Perhaps in the same way rock stars like Marilyn Manson (I?m showing my age) would ride the waves of nonsense controversy on the backs of religious extremists, Anita might well have done the same thing? PR amongst the internet would be much easier. But she has released a lot of videos and been around for over a year. I don?t know how well known she was prior to this because like so many people I?ve been sucked into the controversy and only learned from there.

Have I fallen for the same nefarious scheme? Maybe. But I?m just not convinced, and there is a feeling that theorizing that she or hers has some hand in orchestrating seems faintly cynical, as well as grounds for accusation of conformity bias in a cart-before-the-horse sort of way. I?ve seen the ?posts? she made on 4chan. Are we really giving them much weight? Like we?ve said, they?re trolls. They troll each other.

runic knight said:
Now, I don't think they should be ignored, that is not what I am saying. I just think they should not be made out to be something they are not. And representatives of gamers as a community is something they are not. Anita's "crime" to me is her dishonest representation of gamers, games as a medium in general, and her lack of credibility. I am not so blind to not know the community has problems, in many areas, but I find her and the way she goes about the task of addressing the problem she sees as a horrible example of what not to do. I likened the problems with games as similar to all media and all story-telling mediums. I've compared sexism as a symptom of this larger problem and her... preference... of attacking it the same as someone being told to take a cough suppressant when coughing because of lung cancer. It masks the problem but doesn't fix it. And in masking it, it can make it worse in the long run.
Pro-castration dykes represent feminism. Crazed communists represent the labour movement. Sneering, racist skinheads represent football. Moronic wankers represent heavy metal fans. Misogynistic suicide bombers represent Islam. Depraved and angry depressives represent atheism. And bible thumping, incestuous, Republican voting gun owners represent the USA. Sadly all things are defined by their worst members.

And mouth breathing, frighteningly backward, cretinous virgins represent gamers. This is far, far bigger than just some amateur cultural critic on youtube who got a disproportionate amount of cash and support. She can?t be blamed for this, and however much blame we want to (or can) lay at her feet as responsibility for negative perpetuation is vague. Maybe she has helped it along? Maybe this whole thing is blown out of proportion by a few nutters? Maybe she?s held up a mirror and we hate what we see? I don?t know.

As for the message, I?ll take what I can get. I want to show the world that this idea of gamers is wrong. All these stereotypes must be challenged. As for cough syrup... I agree... but until they find a cure for ?lung cancer?...

runic knight said:
If we are to look at ourselves a community and games as a whole, we need to look at it from different perceptive then her biased ideals of sexism in everything. As it is, she is becoming the boy who cried wolf and the publicity she has now will tire of her as they hear the claims of sexism and go "not again" with a groan.
Do we? Maybe we could use this harsh criticism? We already know our own perspective of ourselves and that of the media. Are you so confident that she?s completely biased and thus all views worthless? Why not take something from a (at worst) ?crazed feminist?? If we don?t learn something about ourselves, we?ll certainly learn something from a dissenter.

runic knight said:
I don't blame people for donating. I blame them for donating because they see a bunch of trolls posting bile on her channel. But that is my personal distaste behavior motivated like that. Seems far too similar to the mentality that allow dictators to cease power after a false flag operation. A lazy uniformed response guided by spite or fear or disgust. Though, in a sense, some would say that this is what this was.
I think I?ve covered this elsewhere.

Sorry I had to chop things up. I don?t think I took anything out of context.

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
rbstewart7263 said:
lmao agreed thanks for digging that up. No respect for her now.

Im supposed to believe that someone pretending to be her spammed 4chan for money for her under her name? not entirely outlandish but not nearly as likely either.
Oh come on. "not entirely outlandish" please! It's obviously fake. It's what trolls do. They troll each other. No better way to troll misogynists than with feminism.

toobie

Jul 16, 2009
cobra_ky said:
Jdb said:
I just realized something. Can Nintendo sue Anita for copyright violation for her $50 pledge award?

That is clearly Nintendo's property, and she is clearly making money off of it.
Seems like a pretty clear-cut case of Fair Use to me. Also I'm not sure it would be a good PR move for the billion dollar company to sue an independent blogger who was just the target of a large-scale harassment campaign.
Except that she's selling them. The only way to obtain it, is to give her money. That's clearly not Fair Use.

And that's exactly the problem. Nintendo won't sue her, because it will make them look like the bad guys. The fact that she's been harrassed protects her by the PR it would give by sueing her, even though they're in their full right to do it.

Also, in what twisted world does ZELDA need help?

Nov 5, 2007
toobie said:
cobra_ky said:
Jdb said:
I just realized something. Can Nintendo sue Anita for copyright violation for her $50 pledge award?

Seems like a pretty clear-cut case of Fair Use to me. Also I'm not sure it would be a good PR move for the billion dollar company to sue an independent blogger who was just the target of a large-scale harassment campaign.
Except that she's selling them. The only way to obtain it, is to give her money. That's clearly not Fair Use.

And that's exactly the problem. Nintendo won't sue her, because it will make them look like the bad guys. The fact that she's been harrassed protects her by the PR it would give by sueing her, even though they're in their full right to do it.

It's fair use because she's not selling them, she is giving them away as a bonus for a donation. If they'd sue her for that, they'd pretty much have to sue every fan games based on a Nintendo product available on websites with a donate button.

toobie

Jul 16, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
toobie said:
cobra_ky said:
Jdb said:

It's fair use because she's not selling them, she is giving them away as a bonus for a donation. If they'd sue her for that, they'd pretty much have to sue every fan games based on a Nintendo product available on websites with a donate button.
That's different. To play those games you don't HAVE to pay. You may give him some money, but they aren't for meant for the right to play the game. If you would HAVE to pay to play, they could sue, which they do.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not the mad at her, I'm mad the moronic fanboys who donated over 160,000 to a woman just so she can create a few videos for YouTube. Go on indiegogo an see how many people actually need this kind of money yet idiots feel content with giving it to her so they can think they're solving a big issue.

clangunn

Jul 26, 2010
AnAutisticDog said:
Meh, if it was about beating a man nobody would care.
Again, jumping in to address an older post but I think this is completely fallacious.

If it was a game to "beat up" either of the US presidential candidates then the opposing side's talking heads would cry offense. If it was an interactive beating of a religious leader (Billy Graham, Rick Warren, or the Pope) the mainstream media would cry foul. Hell, if a kid programed this game targeting another person at their school it would easily be understood as bullying. Targeting *any* specific individual for this type of vilification and victimization it would generally be considered offensive...

-edit to clean up my grammar a bit.

clangunn

Jul 26, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
I'm not the mad at her, I'm mad the moronic fanboys who donated over 160,000 to a woman just so she can create a few videos for YouTube. Go on indiegogo an see how many people actually need this kind of money yet idiots feel content with giving it to her so they can think they're solving a big issue.
Why are you mad at her "fans"? It wasn't your money. You have no right to feel morally self-righteous as to how they spend it.

Indiegogo is a great site. I have supported projects through Indigogo and Kickstarter. Why is one more praiseworthy than the other as a platform for "donations"? I don't think the majority of her supporters believe for one second that they are "solving a big issues."

I think they are contributing to raise awareness on a subject that is of personal interest and passion to them. Just like I don't think my donation to Tim Schafer's Adventure Game project is going to "save modern gaming"; or that my donation to Noah and his Family is going to "change the fact that health care emergencies are the leading cause of bankruptcy in America."

*ps: the captcha "two buck chuck" - why yes Mr/Ms Captcha Generating Algorithm, I would like some cheap wine to wash down this amazingly mature conversation.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Irridium said:
John Funk said:
Of course, the great irony here is that the vicious response is not only giving Sarkeesian's cause way more publicity than it would have otherwise gotten, but does more to illustrate the problem of misogyny in nerd/gamer culture way more than a video series ever could.

Because seriously, making a videogame about beating a woman in the face for daring to express the point of view that a male-dominated industry doesn't always treat women and female characters like it should, is kind of just making her point for her.
Said it better than I could.

Seriously, why the hell are people so pissed about her making a video series showing that women aren't portrayed in the best light in games?
It might be (Now, I'm just gonna go out on a limb here) that because no one has actually watched her videos because: "Oh no! She's a woman! She doesn't know what she's talking about!" That could be part of it, along with the fact that people probably don't think it's going to help much.

Plenty of people have spoken out against sexism in video games before; this doesn't mean that her doing it is wrong, but I suppose those against it believe that it may not help anything, and it may just be her taking money and making a bullshit video series. Personally, I don't think the videos are gonna be badly made. I don't entirely agree with what she says; women are portrayed in a sexist way in video games, but it sells.

I'm just curious as to what she's gonna DO with all the money, because seriously, what is she gonna NEED $160k for anyway? Equipment? That's only a couple thousand dollars! This is probably yet another reason: She hasn't said what she's using the money for, other than equipment and stuff to make the videos. And she just gets to keep the rest? I know people decided to donate to her of their own free will, but honestly, not all of them considered the fact that she's probably gonna get to keep most of the money for herself.

toobie

Jul 16, 2009
clangunn said:
Fusioncode9 said:
Why are you mad at her "fans"? It wasn't your money. You have no right to feel morally self-righteous as to how they spend it.

Indiegogo is a great site. I have supported projects through Indigogo and Kickstarter. Why is one more praiseworthy than the other as a platform for "donations"? I don't think the majority of her supporters believe for one second that they are "solving a big issues."

I think they are contributing to raise awareness on a subject that is of personal interest and passion to them. Just like I don't think my donation to Tim Schafer's Adventure Game project is going to "save modern gaming"; or that my donation to Noah and his Family is going to "change the fact that health care emergencies are the leading cause of bankruptcy in America."

*ps: the captcha "two buck chuck" - why yes Mr/Ms Captcha Generating Algorithm, I would like some cheap wine to wash down this amazingly mature conversation.
He doesn't say IndieGoGo is better than Kickstarter. He says the other causes need the money harder than she does, and gave IndieGoGo as an example.

The examples you give are games, made for your personal enjoyment. She claims to give a feminist look at gaming, which is supposed to change our viewpoint of sexism in our culture.

meepop said:
Irridium said:
John Funk said:
Of course, the great irony here is that the vicious response is not only giving Sarkeesian's cause way more publicity than it would have otherwise gotten, but does more to illustrate the problem of misogyny in nerd/gamer culture way more than a video series ever could.

Because seriously, making a videogame about beating a woman in the face for daring to express the point of view that a male-dominated industry doesn't always treat women and female characters like it should, is kind of just making her point for her.
Said it better than I could.

Seriously, why the hell are people so pissed about her making a video series showing that women aren't portrayed in the best light in games?
It might be (Now, I'm just gonna go out on a limb here) that because no one has actually watched her videos because: "Oh no! She's a woman! She doesn't know what she's talking about!" That could be part of it, along with the fact that people probably don't think it's going to help much.

Plenty of people have spoken out against sexism in video games before; this doesn't mean that her doing it is wrong, but I suppose those against it believe that it may not help anything, and it may just be her taking money and making a bullshit video series. Personally, I don't think the videos are gonna be badly made. I don't entirely agree with what she says; women are portrayed in a sexist way in video games, but it sells.

I'm just curious as to what she's gonna DO with all the money, because seriously, what is she gonna NEED $160k for anyway? Equipment? That's only a couple thousand dollars! This is probably yet another reason: She hasn't said what she's using the money for, other than equipment and stuff to make the videos. And she just gets to keep the rest? I know people decided to donate to her of their own free will, but honestly, not all of them considered the fact that she's probably gonna get to keep most of the money for herself.
I think the problem is that people HAVE watched her videos, and know she's bad at what she does.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
I promised myself I wouldn't post here, but its time I did.

Unless you are completely new to the internet this is inexcusable. Newground consistently brings out games that allows you to live through the worst tragedies.

Kaboom!: In mid-2002, Newgrounds received notoriety for hosting Kaboom!, a game in which the player controls an apparent Palestinian suicide bomber who kills men, women and children in Israel. Despite receiving criticism and calls for its removal from the internet by congresswoman Nita Lowey, the Jewish Anti-Defamation League, and other groups, Newgrounds continued to host the game.

Oklahoma City Escapades: Newgrounds received more negative attention in 2004 by refusing to remove Oklahoma City Escapades from its site, which is a game that was developed by Joshua Bend, that spoofs the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. It was eventually removed when Bend deleted his account.

Jeff Weise: Jeff Weise, infamous for the Red Lake High School massacre, posted a violent animation on Newgrounds.com. Its existence was discovered and reported after the massacre.

The Virginia Tech Massacre media blowout: V-Tech rampage, Virginia Tech Shootout!, and others achieved fame from allegations of making fun of the Virginia Tech massacre.

All of that, but this is what you focus on? Yeah, this is a disgusting game, but its /NEWGROUNDS/. I think the plot of the game is disgusting and the person who made it is disgusting as well. But really? This is what you guys, and Newgrounds is gonna make a stand on? Yeah, she swindled people into paying her to make a webseries, of course dissenters are gonna happen and Newgrounds has a history of taking it too far.

So remember.. You can make a game about killing innocent people by the truckload, reliving horrible events that the survivors would like to forget.. But a tasteless game by a troll depicting beating up a woman? Thats the line.

clangunn

Jul 26, 2010
toobie said:
The examples you give are games, made for your personal enjoyment. She claims to give a feminist look at gaming, which is supposed to change our viewpoint of sexism in our culture.
Actually, one was a game (but since I don't like adventure games it was more to support the developer) and the other was a donation request for a family asking financial assistance to cover the costs of providing assistance to a child that had a devastating accident. Most definitively not made for my enjoyment. Did I feel a certain amount of self gratification in that? Yes. Similar to how I felt for supporting a game I will probably never play.

Anita Sarkeesian never once claimed to be some messianic figure how has descended from the ivory tower to "fix" sexism in gaming culture. She is, and has, created online video content to try to raise awareness about the issues. Which she has, to the degree that even her most rapid detractors are still stuck on her. Kind of like Sarah Palin, actually...

toobie said:
I think the problem is that people HAVE watched her videos, and know she's bad at what she does.
Bad at what she does? What I think she does is make videos about topics meant to raise awareness of tropes in video games and then go out and raise money to continue doing so. If that is actually "what she does" then she is a hell of a success. In fact we can quantify it; she is exactly $152,922 more successful than she had originally anticipated needing to be.

Where is your cool extra $150k?

Capitano Segnaposto said:
OPINION TIME!

She is a dumb ****.
I don't like her.
If it wasn't illegal I would punch her in the face (albiet only once).
She is only in it for the money and doesn't care about improving video games as a whole.

Fuck. You. Anita Sarkeesian.
At least Capitano is open and honest. It is his personal belief, based on his long and storied ongoing, platonic, relationship to Anita Sarkeesian that she is "in it for the money."

However, if that is the case, can't we hold nearly all developers to the same standards? I was playing CS when it was still an open source mod for HL. Does that mean that I should want to punch the various Valve programmers for trying to capitalize on a product to continue to produce higher quality games based on the original mod? Playing beta through Source I can tell you that it (generally) only got better with time and funding.