For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Best games of the last decade in my opinion:

Crash Bash - most fun i ever had with 4 player
God of War - need i say more?
Fallout 3 - I sunk sooo many hours playing this game.
Portal - Best Puzzle/Story delivery in a game
Half Life 2 - Best Action/Story/pacing delivery in a game
Counter-Strike - before CoD and BF3 this game was tits.
Team Fortress 2 - This game still is tits
Red Dead Redemption - Rockstars best game to date
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - Rockstars second Best game to date
Portal 2 - Best sequel story/puzzle/voice acting delivery in a game.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
Portal, pretty much for all the reasons Yahtzee said. But I hope to change my mind when Saints Row the Third comes out

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Elsarild said:
For better or for worse, it shaped the morden FPS.
MW was a great game but by the time it was released, the 'modern FPS' was pretty much formed. What it did shape was a never ending franchise that Activision won't let go even if faced with bankruptcy. There's no denying it's popularity, but I think Halo: CE shaped the modern FPS a great deal more. Unfortunately, a biproduct of CoD's popularity were the awful shovelware games that followed in suit. Not exactly IW/Treyarch's fault but it still happened.

Project Nemesis

Jan 6, 2011
Max Payne...I still find myself saying the "...they were all dead..." line (the one that Max says in the end) with the same voice tone as Max sometimes when playing online shooters. That game turned me into a gamer.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Team Fortress2, Dragon Age: Origins, Supreme Commander, Warcraft 3, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, Kingdom Hearts 2, CS:S, Portal 1 & 2 and World of Warcraft. My games of the Decade.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

That was the shit right there! My second game, after the first Crash Bandicoot.

EDIT: I didn't read misunderstood the question. My revised answer is Final Fantasy XII. That was also good.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Well since Grim Fandango was '98, I'll have to go with Fallout 3. There's some much elegant game design there. The freedom it allows is just mind-blowing.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
So much diversity! I love it!

Although I'm a little worried about the guy who said Doom3. lol

And for those wondering, I was referring to 2001-2011. I'll stick it in my OP to help out future posters.

Also, shame on you guys who can't decide on one game. That's the challenge of the question. Giving more than one answer is not an answer at all, really. Don't worry, you won't hurt the games you don't choose feelings. They'll still respect you in the morning, I promise. ;)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
King of the Sandbox said:
Pretty much says it all up there. What's your favorite game from the last 10 years?

For me to consider your opinion "valid", you have to have been gaming for at least the last 10 years.

Me? I'm going to go with Red Dead Redemption. The game is pretty much the perfect western. I still play it to this day, and will for a long, long time (even if a better sequel emerges, Kind of like how I feel about Mega Man 2). I often just put the game in, ride out to a nice spot, and let the screensaver camera kick in while I do stuff on my computer or cook food or what have you.

So, yeah... what's your game of the decade?
Very hard choice, I'd have to say OFP/ArmA/ArmAII (technically all one game that's been updated over time)
Altho Command and Conquer 1, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun all come in close 2nd

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Oh God, there are too many good ones. Half-Life 2 is amazing, Call of Duty 4 was sublime (Relax, COD4 is the only COD I've played), Metroid Prime was breath taking, Resident Evil 4 was a fantastic thrill ride and both of Super Mario Galaxy games were near perfect.

I going to go with The Wind Waker. It was the game that introduced me to 3D gaming. Never before have I felt such freedom, it was incredible. So much nostalgia still in it.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Damnit. I actually qualify for this "has to have been gaming for a decade" thing. Now I feeld old.

Anyhow: I'd probably have to pick WoW, judging by that I played it for some 4 years out of those 10.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Probably the original Pokemon Silver, 800 hours of game time shows how much I enjoyed it. Although SoulSilver is catching up with 564 hours.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
If i can say this without being a heretic causal game is Plants vs zombies, fps Half life 2 & MW2, oblivion (it is the game that has stolen the most time off me, honorable mention to Portal & 2, Beyond good and evil & diablo 2(even though it was 2000).

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
Portal. If the entirety of the Orange Box counts, that. Expanding it to 15 years I'd say Planescape: Torment with Portal as a second.

archaicmalevolence

Jul 16, 2010
For me I'd say The Witcher 1, it was an amazing game in my opinion. I loved everything about it, and even enjoyed the combat somewhat; considering I'm not the biggest fan of fast-paced combat, but prefer the story.
I loved every minute of it and the ending, oh wow was it rough.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
My most unforgettable game is probably that of Super Smash Bros Melee. Just because me and my friends spent countless hours pounding each other into oblivion during the summer, and well into the school year.

My favorite game, however, is Red Dead Redemption. Anyone who had played it knows why it's so awesome.