Forespoken Demo Impressions - Forget it

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Overall it just feel like really good game trapped in a pretty mediocre one, and the sad part is that just making the good game would have required a lot less work for the dev.
That does seem to be something I've noticed more and more from a lot of games over the past 5 years or so. Bad ones that would have been better if the developer hadnt tried as hard. Less work would have made a better game.

I wonder if that's a coincidence or if there's a reason for it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
That does seem to be something I've noticed more and more from a lot of games over the past 5 years or so. Bad ones that would have been better if the developer hadnt tried as hard. Less work would have made a better game.

I wonder if that's a coincidence or if there's a reason for it.
I dunno, the easy interpretation is that someone in low/mid level had a good idea but once the high level management gets hold of it they stuffed it full of features that just makes everything worse. In this case it really feel like someone went "Isekai are really popular now, make it an isekai. Oh and market research says we need more representation so black women main character, which obviously means she's a criminal".

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I just got done playing the demo:

Honestly, the dialogue didn't bother me too much because somehow the attempt at ultra-modern hip youth language protagonist speech against the bracelet dude's deadpan Jeeves and Wooster-esque delivery crashes together in a weirdly delightful mess for me. I won't call it good by any measure, but it makes me think that this is what an 'Arnie' movie like Commando would sound like if you made it today and just updated what people said rather than how they said it.

Where I think the game does shine is its movement and combat. Whatever else I feel about the game, I kind of hope this mechanics combination manages to live on. I'm a flipper handed fuck up artist with games like this these days and even I managed to grin myself silly combining magical parkour with a magic fire sword. Visually as well the game is quite lovely to look at. Not quite Elden Ring's level of slap the taste out of your mouth beauty - I'm not interested in ER but I'd be a fool to say its anything but sublime to look at - but for someone who hasn't played a fantasy game newer than Dragon Age Inquisition it was gorgeous.

Now, optimisation. I'm no longer as good at parsing this stuff out as I once was but for what its worth, I run the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900XT
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600
GPU: RTX 3080 12GB
Game SSD: WD SN770 2TB (PCIe Gen 4, but running on Gen 3 due to my chipset)
Monitor: 34 inch 3440x1440, 100Hz display

So I went in and set a custom where I turned up most things as high as they would go - but I turned off motion blur because fuck that - and I put on the Raytracing options along with DLSS. Lowest I saw that frame counter go was 58 frames. And that was when I got cocky and jumped into a swap with about fifty crocs the length of a minibus to attack them. Although it seldom every went ABOVE a total of 60FPS too so that was interesting.

The big bit was this though: if I read FPS Mon right, the bastard was using about 15GB of my RAM. Now what the FUCK is that about, Square? I mean I only have 32GB because I bought a bundle on sale and that's what it came with and I figured why not? Most normal people cap out at 16GB because frankly most games don't need more than that so that is gonna cause issues.

Look over all I think this is a game I'd really love, but not at $115.00 AUD. When this thing inevitably hits 50% off on a sale - sooner rather than later I wager - I'll grab it. But that asking price is too damn high otherwise.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Tempted to try the demo myself, since I have pretty similar specs, and am curious if I'd get the same results. Slightly better cpu, but 10gb 3080, same ssd but full gen 4 speeds, regular 1440p screen. For reference, which DLSS mode? Quality, balanced, performance?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Tempted to try the demo myself, since I have pretty similar specs, and am curious if I'd get the same results. Slightly better cpu, but 10gb 3080, same ssd but full gen 4 speeds, regular 1440p screen. For reference, which DLSS mode? Quality, balanced, performance?
I went with Balanced; it was indeed one of the only settings I didn't jack up to 'max' because well from what I've observed DLSS doesn't quite work that way.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I went with Balanced; it was indeed one of the only settings I didn't jack up to 'max' because well from what I've observed DLSS doesn't quite work that way.
Yeh, DLSS works by rendering the game at a percentage per axis of the output resolution and using AI upscaling to bring it back up to the output resolution, with each mode from quality to ultra performance having a larger percentage.

Or put in numbers:
Quality - 66.6% (2/3) per axis, 45% resolution (i.e. native 1440p game'd be rendered at 960p)
Balanced - 58% per axis, 33% resolution (835p @ 1440p native)
Performance - 50% per axis, 25% resolution. (720p @ 1440p native)
Ultra Performance - 33% (1/3) per axis, 11% resolution. (480p @ 1440p native)

I find that at 1440p, it's best not to go below balanced mode, since with performance and under rendering res is low enough that the AI algorithm can't properly reconstruct things anymore, and you get ugly artifacting. I suppose that'd be compounded even more in a game with dynamic resolution, since the base render res would drop along with the output res. I've seen mention Forspoken can dynamically scale down to 720p, so with ultra performance it'd have to reconstruct from a mere 240p.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So I just got done playing the demo:

Honestly, the dialogue didn't bother me too much because somehow the attempt at ultra-modern hip youth language protagonist speech against the bracelet dude's deadpan Jeeves and Wooster-esque delivery crashes together in a weirdly delightful mess for me. I won't call it good by any measure, but it makes me think that this is what an 'Arnie' movie like Commando would sound like if you made it today and just updated what people said rather than how they said it.

Where I think the game does shine is its movement and combat. Whatever else I feel about the game, I kind of hope this mechanics combination manages to live on. I'm a flipper handed fuck up artist with games like this these days and even I managed to grin myself silly combining magical parkour with a magic fire sword. Visually as well the game is quite lovely to look at. Not quite Elden Ring's level of slap the taste out of your mouth beauty - I'm not interested in ER but I'd be a fool to say its anything but sublime to look at - but for someone who hasn't played a fantasy game newer than Dragon Age Inquisition it was gorgeous.

Now, optimisation. I'm no longer as good at parsing this stuff out as I once was but for what its worth, I run the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900XT
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600
GPU: RTX 3080 12GB
Game SSD: WD SN770 2TB (PCIe Gen 4, but running on Gen 3 due to my chipset)
Monitor: 34 inch 3440x1440, 100Hz display

So I went in and set a custom where I turned up most things as high as they would go - but I turned off motion blur because fuck that - and I put on the Raytracing options along with DLSS. Lowest I saw that frame counter go was 58 frames. And that was when I got cocky and jumped into a swap with about fifty crocs the length of a minibus to attack them. Although it seldom every went ABOVE a total of 60FPS too so that was interesting.

The big bit was this though: if I read FPS Mon right, the bastard was using about 15GB of my RAM. Now what the FUCK is that about, Square? I mean I only have 32GB because I bought a bundle on sale and that's what it came with and I figured why not? Most normal people cap out at 16GB because frankly most games don't need more than that so that is gonna cause issues.

Look over all I think this is a game I'd really love, but not at $115.00 AUD. When this thing inevitably hits 50% off on a sale - sooner rather than later I wager - I'll grab it. But that asking price is too damn high otherwise.
I think I said earlier in this thread that the actually big problem with the dialogue is that it's not presented well. The cinematography and lack of music makes it so what should be a funny scene instead feels like an incongruous one between a quiet somber look and jokey dialogue.

Edit: Like, look at this scene from Jak & Daxter.

And then compare it to the scenes that have been going around from Forspoken. They're just so... lifeless in comparison. There's no music, the camera is doing nothing, the 3D models barely emote... There's a failure to unite the visuals and tone together cohesively.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I still don't have much of an opinion on this based on what people have said and the review above. It looks very much a mixed bag and nothing about it stands out to me enough for me to try it out for myself, especially since I'm already playing two games as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
One thing I've noticed in watching the opening hour or so of gameplay from a few people, is how much everyone seems to pick up on the fact that Frey has absolutely no reason to end up in Fantasy Land. As the video above showcases, she could have grabbed her bag of money and bounced out of town completely free as the gang that hunts her would think she died in the fire.

Furthermore, magic just kind of hits her as she mopes after the fact for no reason. Why would it flash at Frey and why would Frey, who just got in trouble for crime, immediately do another crime (breaking and entering) right after this and risk getting sent away to jail?

Her character set up paints her as a bitter criminal with no reason or motivation to ever want to help anyone but herself. Yet she's supposed to be the hero? She's an unlikable brat, not a plucky comedian the writers think she is.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Her character set up paints her as a bitter criminal with no reason or motivation to ever want to help anyone but herself. Yet she's supposed to be the hero? She's an unlikable brat, not a plucky comedian the writers think she is.
I haven't played it and I have only the video and what others(including yourself) have said. I'll throw out that the idea of a nobody criminal being dropped into a different world and being forced by circumstances to give a shit and make a difference is a good premise, because if you're already at the bottom there's little other place to go but up from there. There's something appealing about someone rising from "sleeping on the street" to "Hero of the world" through their own merits and skill(though I'll also say it loses impact when "Destiny said so" or "They were royalty all along" because then it feels like it was handed to them).

I mean, Hell, most of the FROM games are you basically being some rando nobody who shows up and you have to work for everything from there out, to the point you either slay and/or become god at the end. Sekiro being the only exception I can think of here, because wolf was important and he's basically just been sitting in a hole being depressed for a while.

Now, that being said, it sounds like the execution isn't that good and that's really what's important there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I haven't played it and i have only the video and what others(including yourself) have said. I'll throw out that the idea of a nobody criminal being dropped into a different world and being forced by circumstances to give a shit and make a difference is a good premise, because if you're already at the bottom there's little other place to go but up from there. There's something appealing about someone rising from "sleeping on the street" to "Hero of the world" through their own merits and skill(though I'll also say it loses impact when "Destiny said so" or "They were royalty all along" because then it feels like it was handed to them).

Now, that being said, it sounds like the execution isn't that good and that's really what's important there.
The problem is, in order for this situation to work you have to show that your character is capable of good despite their circumstances. Frey has a small scene where a lady drops her phone and she gives it back, but nothing more. It's a momentary kindness that doesn't do anything for her character. The rest of her intro is her running from gangbangers and feeding her cat.

I agree with you in that a criminal thrown into a situation to do good can work, but Frey simply does not have the setup arch for such a narrative. Additionally, once she's thrown into the Fantasy Land, she's a complete twat about it for a long time. So imo, the gag of her being a shithead but a redeemable shithead runs too long and I can only think she's a shithead.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The problem is, in order for this situation to work you have to show that your character is capable of good despite their circumstances. Frey has a small scene where a lady drops her phone and she gives it back, but nothing more. It's a momentary kindness that doesn't do anything for her character. The rest of her intro is her running from gangbangers and feeding her cat.

I agree with you in that a criminal thrown into a situation to do good can work, but Frey simply does not have the setup arch for such a narrative. Additionally, once she's thrown into the Fantasy Land, she's a complete twat about it for a long time. So imo, the gag of her being a shithead but a redeemable shithead runs too long and I can only think she's a shithead.
Fair enough.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
One thing I've noticed in watching the opening hour or so of gameplay from a few people, is how much everyone seems to pick up on the fact that Frey has absolutely no reason to end up in Fantasy Land. As the video above showcases, she could have grabbed her bag of money and bounced out of town completely free as the gang that hunts her would think she died in the fire.

Furthermore, magic just kind of hits her as she mopes after the fact for no reason. Why would it flash at Frey and why would Frey, who just got in trouble for crime, immediately do another crime (breaking and entering) right after this and risk getting sent away to jail?

She's just an awful main character and I think the game reception would be far more positive if she wasn't the main character.

As far as reason goes, I'm pretty sure there'll be some BS justification for her being the chosen one part way trough the game. The fantasy land is ruled by 4 magic queen and she was transported back to the fantasy land at the same place where she was abandonned as a baby, so she's probably the reincarnation of one of the magic queen or something.

I also hate that when her apartment is on fire she just leave the bag of money behind for no real reason, she can't just be a rude asshole, she also as to be dumb.

They do try to give her a "good guy" moment after by making her kind to some street urchin, but I always hate kids in video game so that flopped for me.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
She's just an awful main character and I think the game reception would be far more positive if she wasn't the main character.

As far as reason goes, I'm pretty sure there'll be some BS justification for her being the chosen one part way trough the game. The fantasy land is ruled by 4 magic queen and she was transported back to the fantasy land at the same place where she was abandonned as a baby, so she's probably the reincarnation of one of the magic queen or something.
My eyes just rolled out of my skull reading that because I know that's probably the case.

Isn't that like fantasy cliche #3?(with #1 being "Slay the dragon/monster" and #2 being "Save princess, who shall be your prize")

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

Wait, the game discourages you from exploring the world.... in an open-world setting? WTF is that logic?
Every open world game I've ever played does this in the beginning, for tutorial or story purposes. Including the beloved Breath of the Wild, which keeps you in the starting area so that you can learn the basics.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Wait, the game discourages you from exploring the world.... in an open-world setting? WTF is that logic?
Asmongold ain't saying anything new, and I'd be wary of him. He's a known bandwagon jumper and poser.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Somewhat, the game world is absolutely massive and the parkour ability let you get up just about anywhere if you're persistent enough (think like skyrim where you can climb 90 degree cliff wall) so the game at the start will stop you from exploring area from later chapter, but you're free to explore within open area of current chapter (which are already fairly large, if a bit monotenous). It's a bit like the broken down bridge in GTA game.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Had my hands-on with the demo too.

Ryzen 5800X
32Gb DDR4 3600
RTX3080 10Gb
Samsung 980 Pro m.2 ssd

1440p, uncapped, no dynamic resolution, max settings including RT except no motion blur, dlss balanced. 80-85 fps during general traversal, about 5 lower during combat or whenever there's particle effects on-screen. Lowest I got was 66 when doing the big AoE attacks. Felt one stutter early on, but no more after that. Frametimes reasonably consistent, capping with RTSS and/or using VRR would probably smooth that out. 12Gb ram usage, about 7,5-8 vram. Very fast load times, like a second or less. One crash to desktop tho.

Conclusion, doesn't perform as bad as the prerelease spec sheets and footage would let you believe, but considering my hardware and the quality of the visuals on display here, it's not impressive. Merely acceptable, and if you have the specs. A 3070 would probably not get a consistent 60.

As for the game itself, it was rather annoyingly current day AAA gameplay, so I lost any will to continue playing quite fast.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren