Forespoken Demo Impressions - Forget it

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I swear, writing in gamimg, especially with characters, keeps getting lazier. I thought Anthem was bad, Borderlands 3 was cringe, and COD Vanguard was worse, but this one takes the crown as the worst character dialogue I’ve ever seen.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I swear, writing in gamimg, especially with characters, keeps getting lazier. I thought Anthem was bad, Borderlands 3 was cringe, and COD Vanguard was worse, but this one takes the crown as the worst character dialogue I’ve ever seen.
I don't know about that. I think writing has gotten quite good, however those good games make the bad ones stand out more than they used to.

Borderlands 3 was fine imo, it's cringe kind of fit that particular game's setting and really didn't feel much different than any other game. COD doesn't care about story so that's no surprise really. Anthem....well we don't talk about Anthem.

For real though, Forespoken does seem exceptionally try-hard. Like it's trying to appeal to the woke crowd without actually being woke, while at the same time trying to make itself humorous in the most inoffensive way possible and as a result it's cringy crap. And honestly the writing, while annoying doesn't disregard the completely generic world game design and absolutely floppy dick combat.

I can't wait for reviews tomorrow, especially considering they've held back codes from most reviewers.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I have heard worse. Not by much mind. Maybe it’s part of some cunning conspiracy by publishers to destroy voice acting royalties by having games hit with such obnoxious spoken dialogue people will demand the return of text only.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have heard worse. Not by much mind. Maybe it’s part of some cunning conspiracy by publishers to destroy voice acting royalties by having games hit with such obnoxious spoken dialogue people will demand the return of text only.
Eww reading.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's not that bad, but it's trying too hard to be "with it". Plus, this your usual trying to be witty and snarky, but not good at it. I swear, nearly everyone and their mother is trying to be Deadpool, Drake, or Dante, and all failing at it. I find it funny that game featuring stripperiffic zombie and vampire hunters (2 out of the 4 characters anyway) has better dialouge and one-liners than this. Then again, Z2 Chaos knows what it is.

For real though, Forespoken does seem exceptionally try-hard. Like it's trying to appeal to the woke crowd without actually being woke, while at the same time trying to make itself humorous in the most inoffensive way possible and as a result it's cringy crap. And honestly the writing, while annoying doesn't disregard the completely generic world game design and absolutely floppy dick combat.
They're not even "woke" they're trying to appeal towards. This is just the usual being "hip, modern, and with it".

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They're not even "woke" they're trying to appeal towards. This is just the usual being "hip, modern, and with it".
Yeah that's called woke these days, but same thing. You right.

I just noticed that the clips still run like shit. What even is optimization?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah that's called woke these days, but same thing.
To racist, sexists, anti-gay, and conservative douchebags (just plain anything that makes them piss in their diapers). "Woke" is a dumb fucking made up slang, made by dumb fucking douchebags with spiky sticks up their asses, because most of them know how shitty of people they're to others and especially themselves. I will never take the term seriously and it has no meaning. That term is shouted by cries of those without true strength.

You right.
Thank you.
I just noticed that the clips still run like shit. What even is optimization?
I have no idea either, but I am not gonna lose sleep over it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
All this footage looks stuttery as fuck. I'm I just too used to 60fps these days or is it actually fucked up looking?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Honestly... I think that unironically really does improve that scene. Someone made the suggestion elsewhere on Twitter that the actual problem with this scene is the cinematography. It needed to ham up the moment with some quick cuts or something to broadcast that this is a scene that's not supposed to be taken seriously rather than this slow, quiet rotating shot.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I get the impression with most games you can pretty much tell in advance what kind of critical reception they're gonna get. And that's more due to the games than to the critics. Everything about this screamed "another janky open world action game to add to the pile" and that seems to be the general impression of it. Very rarely there's much of a surprise, and when there is it tends to be some indie game that comes out of nowhere.

That said, there ist still a chance I might buy this very cheap or pirate it some day, on account of finding the protagonist extremely cute. Though if the reviews are anything to go by I'm afraid that impression only lasts for as long as she doesn't open her mouth.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I get the impression with most games you can pretty much tell in advance what kind of critical reception they're gonna get. And that's more due to the games than to the critics. Everything about this screamed "another janky open world action game to add to the pile" and that seems to be the general impression of it. Very rarely there's much of a surprise, and when there is it tends to be some indie game that comes out of nowhere.

That said, there ist still a chance I might buy this very cheap or pirate it some day, on account of finding the protagonist extremely cute. Though if the reviews are anything to go by I'm afraid that impression only lasts for as long as she doesn't open her mouth.
Even being selective with who got review codes, they aren't getting great responses. Imagine if more reviewers who are more open to being harsh got codes. Ign giving it a 6 is pretty telling, ACG saying wait for a sale. Eazy Allies is the most positive review I've seen so far and they are almost saying the opposite thing as everyone else so I don't know if I believe what they say or not.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is a japanese game studio's - Square Enix no less, who has been knee-deep in sacharine Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts dialoge for decades - first attempt at Uncharted-esque/Western witty writing. What'd you expect?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
This is a japanese game studio's - Square Enix no less, who has been knee-deep in sacharine Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts dialoge for decades - first attempt at Uncharted-esque/Western witty writing. What'd you expect?
touche

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I expected better, especially considering Amy Hedding is a co-writer on the game and she used to be pretty good. Guess that's not true anymore.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
They apparently hired Western writers for this game though. So I don't think the writing is because of them this time.