Former Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe Shot

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Apparently, while giving a campaign speech in Nara ahead of parliamentary elections, someone shot Shinzo Abe from behind, who stepped down as prime minister in 2020 after 8 years, with a previous 2 year term as well, making him the longest-lasting Prime Minister in Japanese history. According to an article in the South China Morning Post, he was reported as being in a state of "cardio-respiratory arrest" according to a local fire department on scene at the time of the shooting, which if true, is extremely concerning for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Damn, you beat me to it.

I’ll get a mod request in to delete mine.

OT: assuming this is what it looks like at first blush and that Abe does not recover, does that make this the most high profile political assassination in Japanese modern history? And arguably one of the more significant in the first world nations in recent years?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
For a moment I'd hoped this is a drink recipe. Dude isn't even that old. Let's hope for a recovery against odds.

edit: rest in peace

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
He already had a ton of health problem and from what I gather the news is being distorted by translation and he's dead.

That's pretty major considering if he didn't have his health issue he would currently be PM and he still had a lot of influence in his party. He's also one of the longest serving leader both in japan history but also in modern democracy history.

Not quite sure what the motive would have been, apparently it was a member of the military. Maybe angry at Abe attempt moving away from historical pacifism, although that's hard to square with an assassination, so maybe other way and someone who wanted him to push more aggressive nationalist policy? There was a weird incident a few decades ago where a bunch of right wing nutcase took over a military base and all ritualistically kill themselves on base in an attempt to convince japan they should be nationalist.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Seeing the video (not posting for obvious reasons), the smoke cloud from the shot was rather big, either a shotgun or homemade. Possibly both.

Reactions: Leg End

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Seeing the video (not posting for obvious reasons), the smoke cloud from the shot was rather big, either a shotgun or homemade. Possibly both.
Well firearms are very difficult to get a hold of in Japan; even the Yakuza only have them in limited numbers or so I read.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Well firearms are very difficult to get a hold of in Japan; even the Yakuza only have them in limited numbers or so I read.
Yup, it's why I'm staking a theory at all. A shotgun is easy and can be engineered to be resistant to imprecise powder loads. Great for when you only have and need 1 shot with homemade powder too. Of course they could come out tomorrow and say it was a disgruntled JSDF member with a service weapon and the various circumstances of the scene just made the smoke cloud look big and I'll be wrong. It's speculation, but it's my guess.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
He already had a ton of health problem and from what I gather the news is being distorted by translation and he's dead.
I'm hearing mixed things on that. On the one hand, there's the article I referred to in the OP that has been referenced in a few other articles as well, with the local fire department reporting that Abe was in "cardio-pulmonary arrest", which is basically saying he's dead without saying he's dead. On the other, the most recent news from CNN says that he is in the hospital in critical condition, with emergency treatment taking place.

Incidentally, the second-most recent update from CNN reports that the apprehended suspect was, in fact, using a homemade gun.

ETA: Most recent update from CNN, via Japan's public broadcaster NHK, says that Abe was shot twice: once in the chest, once in the neck. Still reporting that he's in emergency treatment, though, not dead.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Some more details on the gun, locals are saying it didn't sound like a shotgun, which I'll believe. It looks like a pair of aluminum tubes tied together and an electric switch on the back. Like an electricity primed double-barreled musket. I do like how the hunting club describes it as "modified", built from scratch more like. But maybe it's a translation thing.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I can only imagine they revived him at the hospital by whispering into his ear something about declining Japanese birthrates. All seriousness, holy fuck. May his rage against the Chinese keep him with us.

Some more details on the gun, locals are saying it didn't sound like a shotgun, which I'll believe. It looks like a pair of aluminum tubes tied together and an electric switch on the back. Like an electricity primed double-barreled musket. I do like how the hunting club describes it as "modified", built from scratch more like. But maybe it's a translation thing.
And this dude hit with both shots. Goddamn impressive. Morbid, but goddamn impressive.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

1657265558482.png

Not quite sure about the source of the image, but this appears to be a closer shot of the weapon.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Looks like he's passed. Seeing a lot of hate for him online, which is always given for politicians. But I find that odd since he's been their PM for most of my life. You'd think he'd be pretty popular.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Looks like he's passed. Seeing a lot of hate for him online, which is always given for politicians. But I find that odd since he's been their PM for most of my life. You'd think he'd be pretty popular.
Japan has notoriously low election turnouts, about 50%. This suggests politicians don't need to be that popular.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I take it this guy was a major asshole who screwed a lot of people over.
Yeah, he was not that great of a guy. Among other things, he was a consistent denier of Japanese war crimes during World War II. Still don't ever condone assassination, though.

Reactions: BrawlMan