Former Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe Shot

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, he was not that great of a guy. Among other things, he was a consistent denier of Japanese war crimes during World War II. Still don't ever condone assassination, though.
True, but I'm definitely not crying for him. Not implying you are.

Actions have consequences, and karma caught up to him some type of way.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I know too little about Abe to comment on his policies or his person, but I will say that it is an outrage that someone choose to express their umbrage with a politician via bullets. That is not how you express your opinion in a democratic society.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebobmaster

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, he was not that great of a guy. Among other things, he was a consistent denier of Japanese war crimes during World War II. Still don't ever condone assassination, though.
The Japanese political system is far less democratic than people tend to assume.

It's essentially a one-party system with managed opposition, and most of the political elite have ties to the far right.

Abe and most of his cabinet, for example, were members of Nippon Kaigi, a far-right ultranationalist organization which holds that Japanese identity is intrinsically tied to the Imperial family, that Japanese war crimes in world war 2 were made up or exaggerated and that Japan should restore its status as a military power, as well as all kinds of pretty unpleasant social views.

Fortunately, the Japanese population is actually quite good at holding the political establishment in check, which is why you don't get the same kinds of problems you do in other managed democracies.

But yeah, there's a reason why interest in and engagement with politics is so low in Japan.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Do not validate the troll. Loneliness is a more useful fate.

View attachment 6551
The construction of this weapon is like what you see in jail museums. It's amazing the ingenuity people will use when they really want to kill someone. Terrible, but impressive all the same.

Edit: Something else; if it's as straightforward to make a homemade shotgun as it has been made out to be then why does this not come up more often in relation to crime in Japan?

Last edited:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Something else; if it's as straightforward to make a homemade shotgun as it has been made out to be then why does this not come up more often in relation to crime in Japan?
Almost entirely unresearched speculation: because there are basically no shooting ranges to practise shooting, so anyone willing to commit an assassination via gunshot in Japan would have to do so without having practised shooting beforehand.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Almost entirely unresearched speculation: because there are basically no shooting ranges to practise shooting, so anyone willing to commit an assassination via gunshot in Japan would have to do so without having practised shooting beforehand.
Eh. Doubtful. While it's only in small numbers, organized crime members have guns and still use them. Also, gangs in America don't use shooting ranges either despite having access to them.

Reactions: Leg End

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So apparently word in the dumbfuck-o-sphere is that the guy who shot Shinzo is a far-left extremist. And they have the pictures that prove it:

And yes, that is Kojima. Sigh, this reeks of 4chan trolling.
Why? If the guy that was shot was far-right, as has been described in this thread, I would think the person doing the shooting would likely be far left. Could be trolling but I don't see why it would be hard to believe.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
So apparently word in the dumbfuck-o-sphere is that the guy who shot Shinzo is a far-left extremist. And they have the pictures that prove it:

And yes, that is Kojima. Sigh, this reeks of 4chan trolling.
It's what 4chan does after every shooting/terrorist attack, like clockwork, and the relevant reactionaries do the job of promoting their crap through social media, like clockwork. They were the ones behind claiming the Texas primary school shooter being trans too, contributing to actual further anti-trans real world violence. Being terminally online long with with no adherence to facts or any sense of ethic means they are usually the very first source of pumping out misinformation. Speed takes priority over everything else. Unfortunately remains quite effective for influencing certain circles more so as time bumbles on, as the void of verifiable information that naturally manifests in the hours straight after any tragedy is the peak window to capitalise on for any misinfo pusher.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It's what 4chan does after every shooting/terrorist attack, like clockwork, and the relevant reactionaries do the job of promoting their crap through social media, like clockwork. They were the ones behind claiming the Texas primary school shooter being trans too, contributing to actual further anti-trans real world violence. Being terminally online long with with no adherence to facts or any sense of ethic means they are usually the very first source of pumping out misinformation. Speed takes priority over everything else. Unfortunately remains quite effective for influencing certain circles more so as time bumbles on.
Why is it hard to believe a left leaning person was the culprit of shooting a far right politician? Wouldn't you assume it just as likely if it was a far left politician was assassinated that it was done by a right leaning person?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Why is it hard to believe a left leaning person was the culprit of shooting a far right politician? Wouldn't you assume it just as likely if it was a far left politician was assassinated that it was done by a right leaning person?
To be clear, I don't believe any claims of political leanings being made straight after any attack. It's the highest point of the speculation influx, so I try to steer clear of encouraging such human habits myself until far more verifiable information comes out. While the statistical probability does lean heavily towards right wing in terms of political violence, the capability of unintentionally spreading misinformation is spread a bit more equally through political ideologies in comparison.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
To be clear, I don't believe any claims of political leanings being made straight after any attack. It's the highest point of the speculation influx, so I try to steer clear of encouraging such human habits myself until far more verifiable information comes out.
A fair and good position to take, I'd say.

Reactions: Leg End

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just to clarify, saying Abe was far right is extremely misleading, center right on social aspect would be a lot better and economically speaking he was more center left (strong intervention by the state and central bank in the market). afaik he never denied japan war crime in WW2 during his time as PM, but he did visit shrine where some war criminal are buried. He also tried to make amend with some of the asian country japan invaded, I think they signed something with south Korea and paid money to the family.

But his most contentious action was trying to move the army away from purely self defense force toward more of a regular army, which was mostly a move in case something like Ukraine was to happened in Taiwan, since under the old system japan would have been unable to participate in any armed intervention that didn't directly endanger japan.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The construction of this weapon is like what you see in jail museums. It's amazing the ingenuity people will use when they really want to kill someone. Terrible, but impressive all the same.

Edit: Something else; if it's as straightforward to make a homemade shotgun as it has been made out to be then why does this not come up more often in relation to crime in Japan?
The construction of the gun is fascinating to see when you also consider the gun debates that happen in the US because of our shootings right. Gun control should be more strict, but how then do you prevent someone from building a gun or learning how to build other things to hurt people when their goal is specifically to hurt people.

Also I am a little sad that this wasn't done with a Samurai sword.

"I'm running for Gov..."

"Sorry sir." *teleports behind you*

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not the point.

Because the guy in those pictures is not Shinzo's killer.

It's Hideo Kojima ffs