Former Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe Shot

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This is on a very short list of successful political assassinations.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, given the number of guns that the US population has it's absolutely shocking how few political assassinations we have.

It's amazing that more politicians are afraid of being voted out rather than being afraid of being straight up murdered for angering the population.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again, given the number of guns that the US population has it's absolutely shocking how few political assassinations we have.
Maybe it's a testament to the US political class's ability to use taxpayer funds for their security details.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Maybe it's a testament to the US political class's ability to use taxpayer funds for their security details.
Maybe it's a testament to the US policital class's ability to turn the violence onto the other side, or at least, what they pretend is the other side

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

This story keeps getting weirder and weirder, things are probably going better for him then he could have ever hoped for. The cult is getting rooted out, politician with link to it are being shoved aside and the party of the assassinated PM is losing popularity rather than gaining from the martyr effect (although tbf they just won an election so they're secured for awhile).

At the same time, I'm not quite sure what could be done. We can't stop people from doing what they want with their money and cultist are almost impossible to deprogram, apparently the mother of the killer is still staying in the cult even after all that. I do think all form of religion should lose any special legal protection they have, ie treat them as any other hobby. But let say someone is really into a sports team and keep spending their money on it rather than their family, would anything be done to stop them?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Relevant update, the assassin is getting exactly what he wanted. I can't think of any other assassination that has worked out this well for the assassin.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States

Relevant update, the assassin is getting exactly what he wanted. I can't think of any other assassination that has worked out this well for the assassin.
Gavrilo Princip? He didn't want WWI, but he did get his unified South Slav state at the end of it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's shitty to reward assassination and send the message that it can work. But also, the Unification Church is a regressive, fraudulent outfit that should be dissolved. The fact an assassin wanted something isn't a reason not to do something.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
It's shitty to reward assassination and send the message that it can work. But also, the Unification Church is a regressive, fraudulent outfit that should be dissolved. The fact an assassin wanted something isn't a reason not to do something.
True, though it does have the unfortunate side effect of sending the message that terrorism and assassinations are a good way to get what you want.

Reactions: Silvanus