Former Teacher Acquitted of Videogame Massacre Threat

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
Nuke_em_05 said:
But, no, you guys are right, this is about videogames, and we love videogames, so this guy is some sort of epic martyr.
Spending a month in jail *without trial* no matter what the reason, or the local laws, is just blatant disregard of human right.

You have to admit "law enforcement" should have the brain to at least make sure they're not screwing an innocent, using only common sense.

Nuke_em_05 said:
there were very strict policies and procedures on even avoiding the appearance of a possibility of someone taking advantage of a minor
Typical in this age of paranoid hysteria...
There should not be such things as "false positive" in these cases, basic logic and, again, common sense are enough to avoid this ; but I know such things tends to be in short order.
When someone plan to kill 500 people you can be sure his hoarding of piles of weapons would have left some traces even in that glorified guncrazed countryside that is most of the USA.
Anyway interogating the neighbors, coworker, and family would have been enough already; but NOO, there was "law enforcing" to do, in between two donuts.

Of course there are things you don't say in some places, but he was in a school, talking to a student, in public.
Just asking what he was talking about would have cleared it up.
Whoever misheard and reported him to the police is an actual criminal, or criminally stupid just like the policemen and the "law enforcement" of that state.
To say nothing of the shallow school heads who decided to throw him out just to feel secure.

So yes,
we are right and you are wrong.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
United S of A is not that bad. The time when in my country teachers will stop thinking of games as a devil, and start playing them, has not come yet, and it looks like in 20 years we will finally be at today's more or less normal world level.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Since someone already posted the tactical facepalm, I guess we have to improvise.

This only happens, But seriously, they thought he was going to be a terrorist? Christ, I'm suprised my friends haven't been tattled on for saying they were going to set us up the bomb.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Contun said:
Thedayrecker said:
Dear Kentucky,

On behalf of all of Florida, I would like to thank you for being such fuck-ups. You see, we occasionally fuck up, and every now and then we need another state to remind us, as bad as we are, we're not the worst.

Sincerly, Thedayrecker

P.S. I'm sure South Carolina's letter is in the mail

This sort of thing happens rarely here. It's not like all of us are rednecks riding around in our pick-up trucks preaching about Atheists and how they're the bane of the earth. Most people here are fairly intelligent.
It was a joke...

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Even if he wasn't talking about a video game, in what backwards arse country do they arrest you for saying you want to kill people!!!?

The police there need to be horse whipped through the fucking town square.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
And I thought that the FBI Seal thing was the top of all... This one takes the cake! Congratulations on taking stupidity and ignorance another level up! :/

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Doesn't surprise me as far as the school is concerned, they are happy to fire a teacher over a fart.
This is a strong lesson that you shouldn't assume what you might overhear is what you think. Gossip alone destroys a lot, and automatically thinking terrorist over any remark is even worse.
The one who reported what they heard needs a swift kick in the ass.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
SODAssault said:
I'm glad he at least lost his job, but he should be rotting in prison right now for scheming up terrorist plots. Who the hell knows what this guy could go on to do? He could walk into a public place and say "I'm angry enough to nuke the entire world". Can you imagine what an atrocity that would be? That's BILLIONS of people that he is hypothetically massacring.
Awesome, thanks for the damage to my sides.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
captain underpants said:
SODAssault said:
Okay, you know what, everybody's saying that the situation was stupid, but let me turn this around on you: what if nobody did anything, and he went on to kill all five hundred people? Could you stand 500 deaths on your conscience? Clearly, someone as militarily capable as a school teacher wouldn't be merely hyperbolic when uttering statements of intent to commit such an incredibly massive individual feat.
I'm guessing that's sarcasm, but seriously, the choice isn't between 'doing nothing' and calling in the full weight of the law. How about just talking to the guy to find out the facts? Once the police get involved and charges are laid, you're pretty much fucked whether you're innocent or guilty.
Exactly. Two way communication goes a long way to clear up a matter. Not following up and double checking the facts before just going off and reporting something you overheard is irresponsible and as far as I am concerned, just as bad as true terrorism. This teacher just had his life destroyed thanks to overzealousness and ignorance.
Assumption makes you an enemy to the truth.

Feb 13, 2008
Seriously wtf?

Don't you think that if he HAD killed 500 people, someone might have found one of the bodies?

And why in hell's name did he spend a month in jail? Didn't anyone just talk to the poor guy?

Jeezuz...I guess he's lucky his name's only Jason. Mohammed would have probably been electrocuted long before that.

And here's a thought, how about arresting the informant for wasting police time? Or is that too stupid for them?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've seen this before.

Uh...

You guys don't want to know how it ends...
He kills himself.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Seriously wtf?

Don't you think that if he HAD killed 500 people, someone might have found one of the bodies?

And why in hell's name did he spend a month in jail? Didn't anyone just talk to the poor guy?

Jeezuz...I guess he's lucky his name's only Jason. Mohammed would have probably been electrocuted long before that.

And here's a thought, how about arresting the informant for wasting police time? Or is that too stupid for them?
Even better, burn the informant on stakes! That should give people a lesson!

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Clearly, proper "enhanced" interrogation techniques were not applied, as if they were, this plot may have gained validity through confession. Now, there's possibly a dangerous ex-teacher on the streets with a bone to pick, and the will to murder hundreds. I'm disappointed in our justice system.
But no, seriously, that's a messed up story. Goes to show how much this country has slipped in regards to common sense. A month in jail? Because of hearsay and conjecture, with no investigation prior? Offensive.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
incal11 said:
Nuke_em_05 said:
But, no, you guys are right, this is about videogames, and we love videogames, so this guy is some sort of epic martyr.
Spending a month in jail *without trial* no matter what the reason, or the local laws, is just blatant disregard of human right.

You have to admit "law enforcement" should have the brain to at least make sure they're not screwing an innocent, using only common sense.

Nuke_em_05 said:
there were very strict policies and procedures on even avoiding the appearance of a possibility of someone taking advantage of a minor
Typical in this age of paranoid hysteria...
There should not be such things as "false positive" in these cases, basic logic and, again, common sense are enough to avoid this ; but I know such things tends to be in short order.
When someone plan to kill 500 people you can be sure his hoarding of piles of weapons would have left some traces even in that glorified guncrazed countryside that is most of the USA.
Anyway interogating the neighbors, coworker, and family would have been enough already; but NOO, there was "law enforcing" to do, in between two donuts.

Of course there are things you don't say in some places, but he was in a school, talking to a student, in public.
Just asking what he was talking about would have cleared it up.
Whoever misheard and reported him to the police is an actual criminal, or criminally stupid just like the policemen and the "law enforcement" of that state.
To say nothing of the shallow school heads who decided to throw him out just to feel secure.

So yes,
we are right and you are wrong.
Jail is a quarantine until you can be tried. You can be bailed from it and wait trial outside if the allegations are not severe. You cannot be imprisoned without trial. Imagine if he had made a legitimate threat, it would have been a pretty bad idea not to hold him until that could be proved.

Do you mean for me to believe that if you overheard someone say they needed to "deal with this stress by killing 500 people", your immediate reaction would be mild inquisition into the nature of the killing, virtual or real? Don't kid yourself, you aren't fooling me, you'd freak out just like whomever reported him.

When it comes to public safety, especially with minors, especially in school, especially in "his word against mine" situations, the worst-case is assumed until trial. It isn't "guilty until proven innocent", it is taking precautions until it can be determined. So, as you would support as the best course of action: the cops show up, and politely ask him "Are you planning a massacre?" and he says "Oh no, I was talking about a videogame", and they go "Oh, alright then." and walk off. Even in what really happened, if the police behaved this way, you can bet their ombudsman would have to un-plug his phone and e-mail due to irate citizens because the police didn't follow through on a potential threat due to the suspect saying so. Couldn't a real threat claim it was about a videogame as well? They didn't have time to ascertain whether or not it was true; in the event it would have been true. Hindsight is 20/20, yes, he wasn't a threat, but they didn't know that at the time, and there was potential, so if they had taken that time to determine it, and he was, they would have been hosed because he would have taken advantage of that time.

Yes, bad things can happen. Yes, false-positives happen. Paranoia is a factor, but that doesn't make the problem less real.

The oxy-moron of this statement is overwhelming. Yes, he was in public, in a school, talking to a student, he is a teacher, and he was talking about killing 500 people. Yes, in a game. In a game, as a dark joke, or for real, this is one of those things that you don't talk about in the one of those places known as school.

I agree that firing him is harsh; but he still had an inappropriate conversation with a student at school.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I feel really bad for this guy, because he got FUCKING JAILED FOR A MONTH for absolutely fucking NOTHING!

It's been said, but... What else is there to say? That's completely unfair and I think our judicial system owes this poor man something huge.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Sigh... This makes me glad I'm not a US citizen. Though I guess it's unfair of me to let one case shape my perception of how an entire country works. Still, that particular case is, in the vernacular of today's youth, messed up.
Whoa, trust me, that is definitely a rarity. It's not like this happens left and right around here. Chill.

It does suck, however. I feel bad for the guy.