Four Marvel Anime Series Hitting G4 in 2011

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Four Marvel Anime Series Hitting G4 in 2011

High-quality animation featuring four popular Marvel properties is coming to North American television next year.

Marvel Comics-based cartoons released in North America are usually well done, but hardly have the animation quality of certain anime series produced in Asia. It was revealed last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93436-First-Look-at-Marvel-Anime] that longtime comic book scribe Warren Ellis would be changing this by guiding multiple Marvel properties alongside anime studio Madhouse to production, which G4 has announced it will be exclusively premiering on its network in 2011.

There will be four separate series in total that will feature Iron Man, Wolverine, the X-Men, and Blade respectively in "an edgy new anime world," according to the press release. All four series will consist of twelve episodes, each thirty minutes long. G4's trailer for the Iron Man series is already looking pretty sweet, though no new trailers aside from what was shown last year have been released yet.

Warren Ellis knows his stuff, and isn't even new to this kind of situation, having brought the slightly more mature G.I. Joe: Resolute to the Cartoon Network last year. These Marvel series are different though, as Ellis writes on his website [http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=10113] that he basically wrote outlines for them at which point they were taken over by Madhouse, which is just the way the process works. Ellis says they were "commissioned and created specifically for the south east Asian market" and will be either subtitled or dubbed on G4.

I know I'll be tuning in just to see how these turn out. Here are the basic storylines for each series:

Iron Man

In an effort to make amends for his weapons manufacturing past, Tony Stark has dedicated himself to building the world up rather than tearing it down. Traveling to Japan to build a new arc reactor that will deliver unlimited free energy to the Japanese people, Stark is challenged by the Japanese government and the media when he attempts to import the necessary nuclear priming device. And when the reactor-in-construction is repeatedly attacked by the mysterious Zodiac consortium, Stark must gather his allies to take on Zodiac and its mastermind.

X-Men

The X-Men are reunited following the death of a teammate, and are summoned by Charles Xavier to Japan following the abduction of Hisako Ichiki (Armor). There, they confront the U-Men, a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on.

Wolverine

Based on the popular graphic novel by Frank Miller, the series begins in Japan , where Logan is challenged by Shingen Yashida, the notorious leader of a powerful mafia clan. When Shingen's employee Yukio, a female assassin, falls out of Shingen's favor, she must kill him or be killed. Teaming up with Logan, the pair seek out the villain to exact their revenge.

Blade

Eric Brooks - known as Blade - seeks revenge on Deacon Frost, the vampire lord who killed his mother while she was still pregnant with Eric. With all the powers of a vampire and none of their weaknesses, Blade's quest leads him throughout Southeast Asia in search of Frost, and, in Vietnam , he discovers a vampire plot that threatens to take down the whole world.

PR via Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/26/trailer-for-warren-ellis-iron-man-anime-details-of-x-men-wolverine-and-blade/]

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
As awesome as that is...I've lost so much faith in G4 that I won't be watching any of them. My loss sadly.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Care to define which anime series were so high quality? You've peaked my interest, and I want to see what you're getting at.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Heh, I like how three out of the four end up in the hero going to Japan for some reason.

I might check these out, just to see how they are.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
While I will conceade that this animation is some of the highest quality anime I have seen outside of movies, one-shots things like Halo Legends, or Kirby: Legend of the Stars (I still don't get why I like that), but anyone else think that Tony Stark looks... weird?

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
While I will conceade that this animation is some of the highest quality anime I have seen outside of movies, one-shots things like Halo Legends, or Kirby: Legend of the Stars (I still don't get why I like that), but anyone else think that Tony Stark looks... weird?
That was my qualm with it too. I've gotten used to seeing some characters in certain styles, be it comic, western animation, eastern animation, that them transferring this over will make it look weird to me and others.

Interesting none the less, I look forward to how this turns out.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
When Ironman fights a giant Eva, then I'll indiscriminately watch an episode.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Holy balls, the animation nut in me just 'gasmed heavily. I am definitely giving this a look.

Timbydude said:
Heh, I like how three out of the four end up in the hero going to Japan for some reason.

I might check these out, just to see how they are.
Ha, yes, that is sadly hilarious now that I noticed it. I guess it's like with most American written shows it's in America since hell if we know what the rest of the world is like.

Mr.Geoson

Apr 1, 2010
I honestly don't watch G4 almost at all now, except when Ninja Warrior comes on because I love to see people fall on their faces and other painful events. G4 is pretty bad about now, but I guess that's almost true for all TV channels now. Though this looks interesting I highly doubt it will turn out very good, looking back at all the other crap shows they tried to re-do. Maybe I'll be surprised though.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I think its awesome that two of my favorite things will combine, anime and comics. Although I do find it weird that pretty much everyone is going to Japan for some reason.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I like how pretty much all of em are set in Japan. Still, I'm excited for them all. As long as they nail the voice acting and everything, this should be a fun ride!

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Too bad G4 sucks otherwise I may have watched.

Just search "G4 Sucks" and you'll get 287 hits on youtube.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
lol sounds interesting at the least. I reckon Wolverine will have the most potential. Bring on some ultra-violence damnit! Japanese anime can be pretty ultraviolent on it's own, but putting Wolvie into the mix would make even Japan go "Woah, easy there tiger"
Main hope is that Steven Blum reprises his role as Wolverine, since he's got the perfect voice :D

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
I like how pretty much all of em are set in Japan. Still, I'm excited for them all. As long as they nail the voice acting and everything, this should be a fun ride!
I saw the anime Wolverine and he looks like a Death Note reject.

Why are his claws coming out of his palms and in between his fingers instead of his knuckles!

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Rigs83 said:
buy teh haloz said:
I saw the anime Wolverine and he looks like a Death Note reject.

Why are his claws coming out of his palms and in between his fingers instead of his knuckles!
That was a 'prototype' done for it, like how the Prototype Tony Stark looked like Trieze Kushrenada and Ironman wasn't done in CGI.

Remember? No? figures...

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
captaincabbage said:
lol sounds interesting at the least. I reckon Wolverine will have the most potential. Bring on some ultra-violence damnit! Japanese anime can be pretty ultraviolent on it's own, but putting Wolvie into the mix would make even Japan go "Woah, easy there tiger"
Main hope is that Steven Blum reprises his role as Wolverine, since he's got the perfect voice :D
I don't know about the voice but they screwed everything else up. He looks like he is vogueing or doing a Geisha dance when he is fighting.

[/youtube]

P.S.
Oh my god I forget to mention they made him tall thin and pretty. Tall, thin and pretty!!!