Fox Already Looking At First Class Sequel

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Fox Already Looking At First Class Sequel

An X-Men sequel is all but official at this point; did anybody not see this coming?

In a summer that's been jam-packed full of comic book movies, X-Men: First Class <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3371-X-Men-First-Class>was an incredibly pleasant surprise, both critically and financially. As a result, it should come as no surprise to anyone that Fox is actively considering a sequel for the film.

According to The Geek Files:

We've learned that the studio is "discussing sequels internally."

While there is not yet any formal announcement of a follow-up, it does show interest in continuing First Class rather than leaving it as a standalone origin tale.

Of course, it'd be more shocking if First Class didn't get a sequel. The movie has been a favorite for critics. Not only that, but <a href=http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=xmenfirstclass.htm>Box Office Mojo reveals that it's grossed over $335 million worldwide, which is pretty impressive since it only cost $160 million to make (after tax breaks, the production costs are reported at actually being about $135 million).

Both Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn have commented about how they have plenty of ideas for a sequel, which they would probably keep set in the 1960s and centered around real events. The 60s were a pretty major decade in history, though I'd love to see the next movie feature the 1969 Apollo Moon Landing (if the next movie's title includes "Mutants On The Moon," I demand a cut of the royalties). What about you? What real-world events would you like to see included in the next X-Men film?

Source: Scree Rant

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Im one of those crazy people who like when the writers actually cited the comics for reference...so I want to happen...what the comics say happened!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I want to see the Vietnam war touched upon, have the team at the start rescue Karma as a child possibly. Nothing like a blackbird screaming over the treetrops as some classic musics blasts (All Along The Watchtower is a bit cliche, but still awesome).

Some good new characters to add to the team would be Polaris to fill the Jean Gray character role and perphaps in this film continuity Havok and her could be Cyclops' parents. Thunderbird and Sunfire add some neat powers and diversity to Xaviers side as well.

I'd love to see another villain as well as Magneto, someone like Mr Sinister would be cool.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
That would be good... I really liked first class, it's my favorite X-men movie already. It had more than 2 hours and somehow has still too short... Maybe because it took quite some time to explain shit that we already know, did develop their characters a lot and somehow still forgot some characters like Azazel and Emma Frost and rushed out a lot in the end.... Love it anyway...

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
I thought they guy they picked for Prof. X was going to suck but he actually did really well. And Michael Fassbender was a fucking great Magneto too.
*swoosh*

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I'd like to see them get pinned for the Kennedy assassination. That'd be interesting.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I'd like to see it go more into the civil rights issues of the US at the time. It kind of sucks that they killed Darwin off because he could have had a huge role if Martin Luther King Jr. was in the sequel.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
If the sequel is anything like as good as First Class was, I welcome it. It's nice to see a film that's actually good being so successful.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Personally I just want all movie right returned to Marvel. Damnit I WANT A MARVEL CIVIL WAR MOVIE!

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
dt61 said:
I'd like to see it go more into the civil rights issues of the US at the time. It kind of sucks that they killed Darwin off because he could have had a huge role if Martin Luther King Jr. was in the sequel.
Gotta agree, I was pissed when Darwin died. Sure, he was the only black mutant, but I was more mad that they didn't do more to show off his powers. The dude could adapt to anything! The fights they could've had him doing would've been so cool. (Best one I could think of is where you throw him outta the Blackbird, and he sprouts wings and flies.)

As for the sequel talks, I hope they go forward. The Vietnam war would be great to use as a backdrop. Mutant fighting in it, going behind the scense to cause the protests, or secretly running things...plenty of plot material.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
rednose1 said:
dt61 said:
Gotta agree, I was pissed when Darwin died. Sure, he was the only black mutant, but I was more mad that they didn't do more to show off his powers. The dude could adapt to anything! The fights they could've had him doing would've been so cool. (Best one I could think of is where you throw him outta the Blackbird, and he sprouts wings and flies.)
Everyone I saw it with agreed that it could possibly make him overpowered.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
What I would like to see?

Not set in the 60s. I'd like another origins tale, but at least make it something different.

The first mutant? Have a story focussed around whoever the really powerful ones were?

Edit: Seeing all the talk about Darwin brought something back to me.

I recently saw it for the second time today and I actually think that he may have been gay. Some of his actions and the things he says are very allusive to his sexual orientation.

Either way, he was a great character that was killed off way to early.

Rayken15

Jan 10, 2011
I loved First Class, it's my favorite X-men movie. The only thing I had a problem with was magento's costume at the end...really? I laughed my ass of when I saw it, thought it was some cosplayer xD

Lrbearclaw

May 19, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
The first mutant? Have a story focussed around whoever the really powerful ones were?
Apocalypse would be COOL but... meh without the core X-Men it would suck. Personally I would have used him in X3 as the ultimate "f**k you" to thoe thinking that Magneto would get his war HIS way.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
First Class was a brilliant film, and my only concerns about the sequel is that no matter what variation they use for the title (X-men First Class 2, X-men Second Class etc) is going to sound unwieldy and daft. Unless they just use a new subscript and credit their audience with some intelligence (X-men: Magneto Bams It Up A Notch).

-Nick

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
dt61 said:
Darwin's ability was he reacted to change right? Like evolved to his situation? That could've been a badass character if he wasn't killed off before he could fight.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Wasn't there already a sequel? Y'know, X-Men?

I mean, First Class is a prequel and all.

Then again, time in between the movies would be cool to explore, I guess. So go ahead, First Class was great.