Fox News Attacks Environmentally Conscious Games

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
You know, I think any game not named "Jesus Camp: The Game", no matter what the content involved in the game, is automatically going to be on Faux News "hit list".

..And even then, they might rail on that for Jesus being "too un-American".

You just can't win with these people, when it comes to video games.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Don't forget: Liberals are the devil. Games are merely the Devil's tools.

Also: terrorists communists sympathizers hippies weaklings teens un-american.

rangerman351

Dec 27, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
You know, I think any game not named "Jesus Camp: The Game", no matter what the content involved in the game, is automatically going to be on Faux News "hit list".

..And even then, they might rail on that for Jesus being "too un-American".

You just can't win with these people, when it comes to video games.
better yet, they might say that he is too left wing because he loves everybody

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
THis is a dumb question, but in Sim City Societies couldn't you go out and create an Orwellian super state? Yes being green was an option, but you could also play as the biggest asshole to ever walk the earth. Or I could be misinformed....

Anyways, my point is Sim City Societies didn't force the player to play green. BUt wait, that is a logical argument, obviously Fox won't even acknowledge its existence.

EDIT: FATE OF THE WORLD IS NOT FOR CHILDREN. If parents don't know the content of the game THEY GOT FOR THEIR OWN CHILD they are irresponsible idiots.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Ldude893 said:
This is why I watch Al Jazeera.
I swear, there's a secret room under the FOX News studio where they use manatees to determine their news topics.
So, the Family guy way of choosing episodes?

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
my reation apone watching the clip

seriously fox news has completely lost it (not that they had much to begin with)
these games are premoating a good view and they bash it

and the whole flower part flower is an art game not much message there
if they were gonna use a flower based game they should of used Chibirobo: park patrol
at least that has you fighting smog based monsters

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Has anyone noticed how funny it is to put an FPS beside Flower and it's FLOWER that's considered the bad guy in this case? That's...an interesting change of pace. Give props to Fox for being creative at least. This would maybe be funnier if it was a parody or something. But it's not, so I guess it's just depressing.

And nice job in saying how safe nuclear power is compared to solar and wind when earlier this year there was a country in a nuclear crisis. Surprised he could keep a straight face. Not saying that nuclear is going to make us glow, but what the fuck is this guy so scared of solar and wind power? Oh right, I guess solar panels could blind everyone with reflecting light and a wind turbine could come loose and mow down a group of Sunday school children. Silly me.

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
BHAHAHA AHAH haheeHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHEEHAAH! *Repeat for a full minute*

That is what i did when i read the title.

Just when I thought Fox news couldn't get any stupider...

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
dashiz94 said:
I'm sorry but what's your final argument here? That Fox is an actually credible news source with reliable information?

Because that is just plain dumb.

Since O'Reilly, Fox has become notorious for pulling people on the air (usually of a conflicting viewpoint) to talk them down and interrupt them to espouse their point. This isn't even a matter of semantics, you let the other guy talk. And how many times do they portray false information? I don't have the time as of now to go search for multiple Fox articles to prove it, but when the issue of games receiving federal grants due to them being classified as an art form was introduced, Fox reported the story as "Should Call of Duty get a federal grant?"

That's not fair and balanced. That's taking a violent video game and placing it as the poster of ALL video games, even though it falls so far from what the guidelines dictated an art game was. As much as you may hate the "liberal media" and what not, I have never seen a radio station like National Public Radio pull this kind of crap. They get their facts. Today I listened to a report about a faulty counter-terrorism unit within the Mall of America and how the system there is not working. Know what they did? They brought in people accosted by this counter-terrorism group, explained their story, explained the origin of the CT group, and also got a quote from a spokesperson from Mall of America as well as John Cohen, the man who started the program there.

Point it, THAT's proper journalism. Not what Fox News does. It doesn't matter if they're conservative or liberal, they're not a reliable news source. For Christ's sake, watch Glen Beck's report on why he believes Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a bad president. I was appalled, as a US history student, to see so much false information about his policies displayed as "fact."

Believe whatever political philosophy you wish, it's your right, but at the end of the day you have to realize that Fox News is unreliable, untrustworthy, and run like a business. And right now, radical statements seem to make the most money.
Good points definitely, and I'm not saying Fox News is the end all new channel, but when you look at the actual news reporting, (opinion shows like Glenn Beck, O'Reilly Factor, Fox & Friends, among others don't count due to their status as opinion shows) the news reporting is generally reliable and unbiased. Hop on over to foxnews.com and check out the general news articles for proof. I myself derive my news from multiple locations, including Fox, CNN, the Wall street Journal & Time magazine. The point is, Fox News isn't this giant propaganda machine people make it out to be. It is a perfectly good network with mostly reliable articles and headlines. However, because they broadcast opinion shows that generally fly in the face of most mainstream thinking, they are portrayed as a bunch of 'evil right-wing liars'.

The article this comment thread is based on is a perfect example. "Fox News Attacks Environmentally Conscious Games" is practically dripping with bias spin, looking to vilify an entire cable network based on what a pundit had to say during an opinionated talk show on Sunday. From the sound of it, this segment on Fox and Friends was an all out attack against any game with environmental leanings, when all it is is one guy expressing his opinion about preachy environmental games on national television. If this had happened on twitter, You Tube, or even another network like CNN or NBC, it is likely it wouldn't have been mentioned. However, because it's that 'evil' Fox News, it gets a headline and 9 pages of comments.

I'm a journalism major, so I usually explore multiple sides of an issue before making up my mind. It just bugs me when people form opinions on something, like Fox News, based on hearsay, that often comes from Fox News' competition. Guess that's just how things go sometimes.

P.S. Big thing to keep in mind while looking over news reports: the opinion of those interviewed does not represent the opinion of the reporter or the network. The bias of a network is determined by it's ability to hide it's own opinions, and I think Fox does that pretty well.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Russian_Assassin said:
Give them a break! Gaming hasn't had any controversial events for a long time and Fox is just trying to find something to complain about, making them relevant in the eyes of dumb people again.

Does anyone really watch Fox news nowadays anyway?
Only old white, old men and grannies. *BA-ZING!*

I couldn't resist.

FOX NEWS REPORT: A game has you sit in a room and play tic-tac toe. This game supports satan, because the color red is so vivid on the chips. And the blue chips mean that god is dead and you should go to red chip for advice.

TheLogicalGamer

Sep 7, 2011
Ok... I really really want to say something highly degratory about Fox "News". But for the good of all involved I am not going to say anything at all involving their mothers, or similar insults.

I am also not going to refference /facepalm or other internet memes. So im going to actaully state the single most anoying thing in their entire "article".

Sim City Societies came out in 2007.

Enough said.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
How dare they! Trying to change the world and make it a better place. What complete and total jerks

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
It's Fox News, only people who are too stupid to try to think for themselves watch it, or take it seriously.

Ilyak1986

Dec 16, 2010
Clonekiller said:
dashiz94 said:
I'm sorry but what's your final argument here? That Fox is an actually credible news source with reliable information?

Because that is just plain dumb.

Since O'Reilly, Fox has become notorious for pulling people on the air (usually of a conflicting viewpoint) to talk them down and interrupt them to espouse their point. This isn't even a matter of semantics, you let the other guy talk. And how many times do they portray false information? I don't have the time as of now to go search for multiple Fox articles to prove it, but when the issue of games receiving federal grants due to them being classified as an art form was introduced, Fox reported the story as "Should Call of Duty get a federal grant?"

That's not fair and balanced. That's taking a violent video game and placing it as the poster of ALL video games, even though it falls so far from what the guidelines dictated an art game was. As much as you may hate the "liberal media" and what not, I have never seen a radio station like National Public Radio pull this kind of crap. They get their facts. Today I listened to a report about a faulty counter-terrorism unit within the Mall of America and how the system there is not working. Know what they did? They brought in people accosted by this counter-terrorism group, explained their story, explained the origin of the CT group, and also got a quote from a spokesperson from Mall of America as well as John Cohen, the man who started the program there.

Point it, THAT's proper journalism. Not what Fox News does. It doesn't matter if they're conservative or liberal, they're not a reliable news source. For Christ's sake, watch Glen Beck's report on why he believes Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a bad president. I was appalled, as a US history student, to see so much false information about his policies displayed as "fact."

Believe whatever political philosophy you wish, it's your right, but at the end of the day you have to realize that Fox News is unreliable, untrustworthy, and run like a business. And right now, radical statements seem to make the most money.
Good points definitely, and I'm not saying Fox News is the end all new channel, but when you look at the actual news reporting, (opinion shows like Glenn Beck, O'Reilly Factor, Fox & Friends, among others don't count due to their status as opinion shows) the news reporting is generally reliable and unbiased. Hop on over to foxnews.com and check out the general news articles for proof. I myself derive my news from multiple locations, including Fox, CNN, the Wall street Journal & Time magazine. The point is, Fox News isn't this giant propaganda machine people make it out to be. It is a perfectly good network with mostly reliable articles and headlines. However, because they broadcast opinion shows that generally fly in the face of most mainstream thinking, they are portrayed as a bunch of 'evil right-wing liars'.

The article this comment thread is based on is a perfect example. "Fox News Attacks Environmentally Conscious Games" is practically dripping with bias spin, looking to vilify an entire cable network based on what a pundit had to say during an opinionated talk show on Sunday. From the sound of it, this segment on Fox and Friends was an all out attack against any game with environmental leanings, when all it is is one guy expressing his opinion about preachy environmental games on national television. If this had happened on twitter, You Tube, or even another network like CNN or NBC, it is likely it wouldn't have been mentioned. However, because it's that 'evil' Fox News, it gets a headline and 9 pages of comments.

I'm a journalism major, so I usually explore multiple sides of an issue before making up my mind. It just bugs me when people form opinions on something, like Fox News, based on hearsay, that often comes from Fox News' competition. Guess that's just how things go sometimes.

P.S. Big thing to keep in mind while looking over news reports: the opinion of those interviewed does not represent the opinion of the reporter or the network. The bias of a network is determined by it's ability to hide it's own opinions, and I think Fox does that pretty well.
As a reporting channel, Fox is ho hum. NBC/ABC/CBS/CNN all do better in that regard.

Its schtick is that it's a bullhorn for the repugnican party, aka the theocratic lunatics that want to give all our money to the ultra-rich and tell everyone else to die in a fire who need to be kept out of power at any and all costs within the confines of the law.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Well... I'm siding with Fox. Which is truly a first.

... anti-nuclear-power propaganda from kid up, as if we didn't have enough uninformed fearmongering?

Pro-solar and pro-wind lessons to kids? This could really fuck up things. Solar and wind are neither good options for much of anything.

EDIT: Naturally, Fox could be entirely wrong about the content involved in the games, though. The article didn't touch that, and it wouldn't be a first for Fox.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
dashiz94 said:
And being environmentally friendly is bad because?...
Japan's nuclear disaster for one. There's environmentally friendly, and then there's "green", where you pretty much randomly associate things under "green" (solar, wind, no nuclear, recycle everything, fluorescent bulbs, resistance against nuclear placement sites, no reprocessing of nuclear fuel) - without actually doing research on how those things affect the environment. Take a random guess how many of the things I listed are actually good for the environment.