Fox News Attacks NEA for Classifying Games as Art

Loud Hawk

Jun 8, 2009
Comparing a video games developer to a ping-pong player is like comparing that talk show host to a rock, neither of them have hair.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
This is one reason I dislike Fox News. Funny thing is my brother starts getting very political when I bash on Fox News...

Hell, I still remember the "Six Days in Fallujah" report, where the reporter wouldn't even let the designer get a word in edgewise. I don't think he got more than a syllable out before they cut him off and started saying how bad and inappropriate the game was.

Basically it went like this:

Reporter: So this game has some controversy behind it, how could you create it?
Designer: Well, I --
Reporter: This woman's son was killed in the events you're depicting in the game!
Designer: Yes, But --
Reporter: Watch her cry
Mother of Marine: /cry

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I am pretty sure that this falls under slander. If only it was a private institution instead of the government that was being slandered.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Oh fuck you. I don't like to swear, and I can honestly tolerate a lot of the stuff you ignorant, ultra-conservative jerkfaces put out, (nothing against conservatives generally, just these people) but seriously, in this case, fuck you. You honestly act like your opinion has a shred of validity after an organization thrice your actual importance contradicts you, and then you directly contradict them back without a shred of humility, even going so far as to lie about their goal and methodology? You are simply terrible, terrible people. Fuck you, Fox News, go jump into a pit and die.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Meh... Videogames companies already had credit on impot here in Canada... It's suposed to attract business companies...
And seriously the debate should be on does the gouvernement need to spend so much in cultures?

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Surely stating that FOX news is doing something 'ignoratnly' is tautological?

This does not surprise me.

qwertyz

Mar 19, 2011
I hope FOX News knows they are a massive laughing stock on the internet.

I like their shows though.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Dear Fox News. I think I speak for all people of rational thinking and common sense when I say:

Yes Fox News is a pack of morons but he zings them so well and they miss it.
He points out that he's talking to Entertainers.
Yes, its brilliant. I goes so far over the host's head it reached orbit.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Realitycrash said:
Haydyn said:
Realitycrash said:
Haydyn said:
The whole "Art Video Games Art?" debate is pointless. Some games are, (Dante's Inferno), some games are not (Call of Duty). Not all games should be considered an artistic statement. However, if funding is involved, it should be mentioned that even the most bland shooter has tons of character rendering and mapping. Look at Spartans in Halo. Somebody had to create those images.
...How is Dante's Inferno your first-go-to thought when you think of "Games are art"?
In reality, everything is art, some art is just shitty.
You took the bait. I chose Dante's Inferno because I recently played through it after purchasing it and setting it down after a couple days. After going through every level, how could one not think it is art? They went to great lengths to utilize the "theme" of each level. The story is great, and it's based off an epic poem. For me, nothing comes to mind before Dante's Inferno.
They might have designed the levels very nicely, but that's graphics, is the game-play worth to be considered art?
The story is a crappy knock-off from Divina Commedia. Then again, I am unsure how to judge a game as "art", but a great story, complexity of characters, sound and view, setting..You could really judge it by the same standards we judge movies.
But then again, all movies are art. So all videogames are art, if we use the same standards.

Some art is just shitty (and yes, I'm calling it shitty).
Have you played through Dante's Inferno to the end?

Spoilers ahead. Have you seen how Dante is exposed as the sinful man he really is, how his father's behavior directly relates to how Dante acted during the Crusades? When I saw Dante's mother in the suicide level, hanging there without a human body, and Virgil talking about how one cannot have what they rob themself, it reached me on a level not many games have reached me at. Dante's mother has literally been suffering for most of his existence. Thinking that she was forever doomed there, seeing Dante save her was a huge relief.

For the entire game, I was thinking of my own life and sins. I can't think of any other game that has made me question my own morality. RPGs touch on that a little, but not near the level Dante's Inferno went to. If a giant metal pair can be considered art, Dante's Inferno is without a doubt art, and imo, great art at that.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Whenever they bring on an expert to be taunted and belittled with stupid, ignorant comments, I just want the expert to take the mick, throw even more ridiculous shit back at them and refuse to take them seriously until they get over themselves and have an actual discussion. Trying to reason just ends up with letting them throw more catchy quotes out there, which tends to win opinions easier than facts, so fuck the facts and play the game; no other way to beat them at it.

Well, you could always not play...

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
arc1991 said:
Anyone fancy helping me blow up the Fox News building?

*Grabs Shotgun and C4 charges*
That is not helping...at all. Just wait, in a few years our generation will be in charge, the FOX execs and correspondents will be dead, and an era of hate and idiocy will end. We'll be laughing as we enjoy a superior lifestyle in education and work as they still rely on A's and B's. When Fix dies I'm goin to petition that as a national holiday or atleast run fir President to reinstate the Fairness Doctirne.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
fox news keep the taxpayers well informed about where their money is going! Good job faux, keep up the good work!

oh and guess how much money in TOTAL is going to arts this year? 88 milliom dollars. Jeeus.
I mean its not like theres any wars going on that soon have cost US 1.2 trillion dollars (1 200 000 millions) or anything.

No, this shit right here people, this is where are all US taxpayers money goes.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
I would punch that radio talk show guy in the throat if I ever saw him in person. People like that are disgusting.

Ignoring every point made to him only to spout out the same bullshit you said ninety seconds ago.

Fuck you, Fox News. Fuck you with a rusty, heated metal pipe.
This followed by about a minute of straight up RAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! This just annoys me and frustrates me and angers me. Fox News....sigh.

Ace IV said:
ZeroMachine said:
Ace IV said:
Fox didn't do anything wrong, they had a debate. Your ire should be directed at the dude who was arguing against video games as art, not FNC itself.
They set up the debate so the guy opposing video games would ignore every point the other guy made. Fox is just as much at fault for this as that asshole radio guy.
They set up the debate so people could hear a different point of view. The dude from FNC never took a side, as good reporters don't. Stop blaming Fox for reporting the news in an honest way
Wait. What? No they didn't set up a fair and balanced debate. Did you just skip over the introduction where they ask the opening question which as the article said was either ignorant or manipulative? Yes they deserve our ire. And indignation. They have obviously chosen a side. The side against gaming. How do I know: "Should Call of Duty get federal funding?" or "now considering giving tax payer money to video game makers" or "Is this a good use of your money?". Those two sentences seem balanced or objective? Not really. Why? Loaded language. I hope to god you are trolling or being sarcastic.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I really don't understand why anyone listens to FOX anymore, why does anyone tune in? When have they said anything smart/accurate?

They call themselves fair and balanced and they've been shown not to be and are just filled with loud mouth broadcasters.

Shmok

Feb 24, 2011
"Recently, the U.S. federally-funded National Endowment for the Arts changed its criteria for what it considered art, adding "interactive games."
This is a great victory for every open minded, all media loving person in the united states and arround the world.
Fox News and their highly conservative audience take a severe loss with this. The rules have changed, from "killer games" to art - of course they are upset and try to darken our win. Have them trashtalk, tell people the truth and rejoice in the fact: games are can be ART.
Sad tries to defame NEA wont help them now.

TehAudioSurfer

May 25, 2010
You know, I like to look at Fox News as very dedicated and successful trolls. They spout logical fallacies at an astounding pace, and they enrage whatever demographic they target.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
...You guys are missing the big picture. If a game meets the requirements to get government funding, it will certainly be shitty. Do you guys want to live in a world where the government taxes you so that it can pump out shitty games? I can see why FOX went after Call of Duty now.