Fox News Begins Two-Part Series Linking Games to Mass Murder

chuckdm

Apr 10, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Dr.Awkward said:
You know what? The only way we're going to get Fox News to shut up is if we get together, buy them out, and shut them down permanently. If we can do that, it would show just how tired we are of the sensationalist shit we have to deal with every day that comes from them and other news outlets.
Ooh! Ooh! Can we do the same to MSNBC? :D

Or... we could just ignore it. You know, like they don't want us to.
I love MSNBC and watch it several hours a day.

But if we have to buy BOTH of them and shut BOTH of them down in order to kill the colossal pile of fail that is Fox News, that's a sacrifice I'm MORE THAN WILLING TO MAKE.

I mean, we'll be left with nothing but CNN, so we'll get even less news, but we'll never be uninformed about the First Lady's shoes again. And that's a world I'd rather live in than any world that includes Fox News.

chuckdm

Apr 10, 2012
ThunderCavalier said:
Doom? Mortal Kombat? Really, Fox?

I mean, if you're gonna play up this same, damn song again, could you at least get some new examples? Why not talk about how you can enslave people in Fallout, or how you can shoot anyone you damn well please in Saint's Row, or how there's wonky, awkward sex in Ride to Hell: Retribution.

... Or you could simply stop trying to harp on video games like they're some kind of evil plague, especially given how no study has ever supported such a fact. Correlation =/= causation.

But then again, they're a joke anyway.
Um...maybe because Slavery, Shooting everything, and Awkward Sex (well...awkward straight sex between married christian people, anyway) is all stuff that 90% of Fox's core audience supports?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Fox will be Fox, it seems. Was Gentile's quoted section taken from the series? Because if they're actually looking at it properly it could be interesting. Unfortunately, as I said, Fox will be Fox. D:

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Dr.Awkward said:
You know what? The only way we're going to get Fox News to shut up is if we get together, buy them out, and shut them down permanently. If we can do that, it would show just how tired we are of the sensationalist shit we have to deal with every day that comes from them and other news outlets.
Naw, slowly but surely they'll retire or die of old age and be replaced by kid that grew up on video games and know that this violent video game stuff "blurring reality" is nonsense.

Being someone who grew up playing Counter-Strike and TFC, Sterling already proved this is a load of garbage to me first-hand in the Jimquisition by showing the Budd Dwyer footage and it twisted my stomach in a knot.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ldude893 said:
FOX News posted an online poll in conjunction with this; asking people whether they believe that video games cause people into committing violent crimes.

The results...wow. [http://nation.foxnews.com/poll/2013/09/12/do-believe-violent-video-games-are-to-blame-for-inciting-mass-murderers-as-some/?intcmp=trending]
Each state: 3-15 votes

Texas: >400,000 votes

It's a garbage poll. We have to throw it out.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Ldude893 said:
FOX News posted an online poll in conjunction with this; asking people whether they believe that video games cause people into committing violent crimes.

The results...wow. [http://nation.foxnews.com/poll/2013/09/12/do-believe-violent-video-games-are-to-blame-for-inciting-mass-murderers-as-some/?intcmp=trending]

Oh sure. You're all ready to jump at the chance to get this poll thrown out for such a minor discrepancy in voting numbers.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Psychobabble said:
lacktheknack said:
Ldude893 said:

Oh sure. You're all ready to jump at the chance to get this poll thrown out for such a minor discrepancy in voting numbers.
not sure if sardonic

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
From the Article: ?We have to be very careful about saying what causes what,? Koch-Sheras said. ?There is a lot of debate on the issue. But this much is certain: We need to definitely be studying this more before the violent video games run amok.?

...before the violent video games run amok...before the violent video games run amok...is that what happened to my lost copy of Battlefield? Did it escape and start running amok?

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Ldude893 said:

I'm just curious. Isn't everybody in Texas more of a gun maniac than somebody living outside of Texas (but still in the USA)?

Because if that is indeed the case, over FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND votes from Texas saying that violent video games aren't the issue should be a pretty strong argument to have on our side.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Matthi205 said:
lacktheknack said:
Ldude893 said:

I'm just curious. Isn't everybody in Texas more of a gun maniac than somebody living outside of Texas (but still in the USA)?

Because if that is indeed the case, over FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND votes from Texas saying that violent video games aren't the issue should be a pretty strong argument to have on our side.
A simple sanity check says "Someone cracked the system in Texas and voted 400,000 times".

That's why it's a garbage poll.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Psychobabble said:
lacktheknack said:
Ldude893 said:

not sure if sardonic
Oh come on. Such a minor disparity in voting numbers only shows how passionate the citizens of Texas are about this issue.

... Or about how much the rest of the nation enjoys the idea of innocent people being murdered. I'm not quite sure. Well maybe with the exception of Florida.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Psychobabble said:
lacktheknack said:
Psychobabble said:
lacktheknack said:
Ldude893 said:

not sure if sardonic
Oh come on. Such a minor disparity in voting numbers only shows how passionate the citizens of Texas are about this issue.

... Or about how much the rest of the nation enjoys the idea of innocent people being murdered. I'm not quite sure. Well maybe with the exception of Florida.
I'm going with the latter. The rest of the country saw the light with Florida. After all, if someone offered you a house in Oklahoma or a house in Florida, which would you pick?

Florida, obviously.

And it's clearly because of the random acts of excessive violence there! :D

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Psychobabble said:
lacktheknack said:
Psychobabble said:
lacktheknack said:
Ldude893 said:

not sure if sardonic

I'm going with the latter. The rest of the country saw the light with Florida. After all, if someone offered you a house in Oklahoma or a house in Florida, which would you pick?

Florida, obviously.

Exactly. With all the drugs and violence, living in Florida must be just like living in game worlds of GTA or Saint's Row. Would seem quite the Mecca for violent game enthusiasts.

EDIT: But I kid the wonderful Floridians. ..... please please PLEASE don't kill me.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Psychobabble said:
lacktheknack said:

Florida, obviously.

Exactly. With all the drugs and violence, living in Florida must be just like living in game worlds of GTA or Saint's Row. Would seem quite the Mecca for violent game enthusiasts.
And by extension... playing violent video games is the only way with which we can adequately prepare ourselves for the horrors of the real world, because Florida is in the real world!

I THINK WE'VE GOT IT!

0 to 3 Sad Onions

Sep 9, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
I'm not touching this one, and neither should you. I don't care anymore. Let's ignore them together and play our violent video games. Let's not actually engage in a meaningful rebuttal of this meaningless crap.
Sounds like a plan. Some things just don't deserve to be dignified with responses.

And in any case, this is coming from fucking Fox News. Everyone knows that it's an echo chamber for conservative wingnuts that panders to the paranoias, biases and fears of its audience. It's in the business of sensationalism, not reporting. No sane, rational, remotely well-informed person gives them any credence whatsoever -- as a news outlet or anything else -- and those who do can't be reasoned with. But, hey. This is a network that, among other things, has called Mr. Rogers a bad influence, denounced the Muppets as communist propaganda, insinuated false equivalencies between bronies and adults who live as babies full-time...and I shouldn't have to remind anyone on this site about how they handled Mass Effect. This isn't too far out of character for them.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
If there's one thing I ever thought about Bioshock, GTA, or Saints Row it was how "ultra-real" they were. The realism was almost too much you could say.

thephill

Nov 24, 2010
Remember when it was comic books that turned kids into killers? Or Rock'n'roll? Or Rap? Or T.V? Or whatever was popular when you were a kid?
Everything popular gets blamed for crime. And every one looks back at the good old days when everything was great. In 20 years time there will be some idiot blaming [FUTURE TECHNOLOGY] or it and everyone will roll their eyes and seem to forget that this is what news networks do when nothings happening.

Also you really think that it's a coincidence that this comes out days before the new GTA? yeah right, next week GTA5 will hit a shitstorm over this.
"Think of the CHILDREN!!!"

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
So Faux News is being Faux News again

Even the muppets have enough of Fox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1fhIvbprM

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
"Three more recent killers... all were active video game players."\
that's pretty much saying the same thing as
"Three more recent killers... all were active puppy owners"

how is fox news able to get away with this sort of crap without at least getting fined for something?