Fox News Begins Two-Part Series Linking Games to Mass Murder

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Can every gaming website please do an article about serial killers/murderers who watched Fox News at some point?

AndrewJamesDrake

Jul 22, 2013
Oh I've been saving this. Since 1.5 came out three days ago, I figure this is the PERFECT time to use this. Let us see... how does the Image tag work again?

SNIPPED DUE TO ME BEING A MORON WHO CAN'T MAKE AN IMAGE TAG.

Okay. I think I set that up right... If not, there will be an Edit below soon.

I mean SERIOUSLY! Video games don't hurt people, the Heartless do! The Nobodies do! Freaking "Killed him six times to date but he keeps getting back up" Xheanort does. But Video Games, they are perfectly fine.

Oh I do hope someone gets their Lawyer out over this.

Edit: Gorrammit Image Tags!!!.

Here's the link to the image I'm trying to pull off.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/447/031/60b.png

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Blachman201 said:
Strazdas said:
Actually, somone was brave enough to sue them for this, and the court decided that "news" can be subjective and depend on the journalists opinion, therefore they indeed can call it news.
I'm somewhat sure the fully story was that they claimed the specific program that was being sued wasn't a "news program" but an "entertainment program", and that apparently gives you a free pass to make up pretty much whatever you want.
Thats... possible. but it sort of made precedent of "fox can talk whatever they want" and while there were other contestants in court they never went anywhere.

AndrewJamesDrake said:
Oh I've been saving this. Since 1.5 came out three days ago, I figure this is the PERFECT time to use this. Let us see... how does the Image tag work again?

I mean SERIOUSLY! Video games don't hurt people, the Heartless do! The Nobodies do! Freaking "Killed him six times to date but he keeps getting back up" Xheanort does. But Video Games, they are perfectly fine.

use:
[ img]UrlToYourImageHere[/ img]
without the spaces before img.

AndrewJamesDrake

Jul 22, 2013

That work? Yeah it worked.

My post above makes more sense now. Anyway,
Strazdas said:
AndrewJamesDrake said:

use:
[ img]UrlToYourImageHere[/ img]
without the spaces before img.
Thanks dude! Now I can apply memes. And thus begins the end times.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
This again ? really ? this is getting so old now I cant be bothered. Its so stupid, classic fox/Merica. They really running outta ideas ? gotta beat the crap outta this. With how popular BF3 and CoD has been in recent years if we apply this dumbass logic everyone is a killer just waiting to pop

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
FoxHerpDerpNews said:
Three more recent killers... all were active video game players.
They were all fairly active breathers, too. Wait, everyone breathes. WE ARE ALL MASS MURDERERS. NOOOOOOOOOOO, THE CHILDREEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN!

AndrewJamesDrake said:
If you want to directly embed an image into the post, just do this (without the spaces in between every character):

[ i m g s r c = "*insert URL here*" ]

In the actual thing, there is a space between img and src.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Ragsnstitches said:
One would think Fox would be a good standard to measure stupidity, but I think doing so lowers the bar too much.
Fox is perfect as a stupidity measurement system. Anybody who is more stupid than them is definitely an idiot (remember that Killology guy?).

That said, FUCK FOX NEWS. There, I said it. I hate them even more than I do ProSiebenSat1 (and those are already rock bottom from my point of view, makes me think if Fox is trying to tunnel right to the other side of Earth or something).

Griffolion said:
AndrewJamesDrake said:
If you want to directly embed an image into the post, just do this (without the spaces in between every character):

Intersting piece of BBCode. I only know about [ img ] Image URL [ / img ] tags (again, without the spaces).

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
nuba km said:
Now I have a theory, fox news is run by a group of demons that feast on the rage of reasonable people. It just all adds up then.
I think it's a kitsune actively working to harvest frothing malice of the ill-informed.

For what it's worth, including doctors is admirable, even if they directly quote one of them as: "...But this much is certain: We need to definitely be studying this more before the violent video games run amok.? Now if only the doctors were experts in this field...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Fox is just laughable...as are all these things.

Doesn't matter anyway as...just like tobacco companies, the evil video-game corporations bring too much moneys to economies for anyone to seriously consider banning them. Maybe just ban playing in a public place...even on your mobile phones!!! You cant fool me that they aren't little death trainers and that you're just txting!!

*sigh* Well, i best return to my free running killing spree with super-slow motion death sequences, as my internet connection's getting weak

Jul 10, 2013
Gearhead mk2 said:
TheScottishMexican42 said:
I actually wrote an essay on why violent video games are not harmful for children for school. Got an A for it. I think I still have it saved as well.
Really? I'd like to see that, if it's ok to share it.

OT: Can Fox News-no, scratch that, the entire Fox network-just be shut down already? I legitimately don't understand why they're still around.
Sure thing. It's hardly a masterpiece, but here it is anyway.

WALL OF TEXT IN BOUND
Game Over?
Video Games are a massive part of youth culture in today?s age. Since the late 1970?s, gaming as a whole has evolved in thousands of ways, from the simple back and forth game of ?Pong? on old television sets, to battling dragons across the colossal expansive landscapes of ?The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? on modern home consoles. However, as the possibilities increased, so did the controversy, as violent and sexual content was added to games with varying degrees of intensity. As a result, parents and politicians across the globe want to protect their young from these games, mostly likely because someone found their son shooting a soldier (a virtual soldier that is) on ?Modern Warfare 3? and forgot to look over the fact that gaming is so much more than just that. However, are their demands to have these games banned justified? Or are they massive hypocrites, looking for something else to blame rather than themselves for their children?s blood-thirsty approach to life, and death that the parents claim that the games gave them?
It?s the violence that people seem to be up in arms about (no pun intended). Games about war, fighting or generally involving killing something are the ones that get the most attention as parents believe their children will randomly get a hold of a military-grade assault rifle and think that every living being in a 2 mile radius is a terrorist or Nazi soldier, and proceed to give them all around 50 new orifices in the head or body. As we all know ? little children have the same experience with firearms as a generic military soldier and know how it all works.
Of course, this is all nonsense. Games cannot give a child any weaponry experience. They fire and reload the weapons in-game by pressing buttons, and aim with an analogue stick and this is nothing like real-life. Besides, they play as a physically able soldier and not as a physical representation of themselves. Also, some games take violence and make it incredibly over-the-top. ?Mortal Kombat? takes violence to a new level but deliberately making it ridiculous, perhaps funny at times. The ?Grand Theft Auto? series is the opposite, but the player?s actions have consequences. Kill pedestrians, and you?ll have the in-game police after you.
More sexualised content also exists, though the type of content is almost never as extreme as a generic 18 rated film, and even that content is the minority. The fact is that games which do have some sexual content are always censored, no matter the context. For example, the life simulator ?The Sims? has moments where the controlled ?Sim? will be naked (like entering a shower or bath) accompanied by a pixelated censor bar. Even if the context is more intimate, there is always censoring. It is extremely rare for a game to be uncensored and if it is, it?s made for an entirely different audience and not intended for young children.
However, these games and the previously mentioned more violent games both fall under the same general rule. In this writer?s humble opinion, the games are not to blame. Parents complain that their children have these games and fear for their minds. But there is a massive hole in that argument. It?s poor parenting that is to blame. How is it exactly fair that a parent wants a game banned because their child has it, but they are the ones who bought it in the first place? If they fear for their children, they are doing an awful job ?protecting? them. Some may say the children bought the game on their own free will and the parent didn?t know about it. That?s virtually impossible because of the age restriction, and most stores require ID as well. Perhaps the biggest blow against the parents is that while the stores cannot sell the game to the child, they can obviously sell them to the parent, as they are the one who bought it, even if the child is there who wanted it. This is plain and simple, very poor parenting, and they seem to blame the games so they don?t have to blame themselves.
However I have to admit, there are cases of players acting less than favorably as a result of video games. By far the most popular kind of game is the First-Person-Shooter (FPS) where companies can make billions on the popularity of them, for example ?Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3? made $775 million in only 5 days. As these games allow players to play together, this can cause much frustration, leading to some gamers ?rage? violently at other players. This includes screaming down the microphone, constant swearing and verbal abuse towards others because of the simple act of losing. This ?rage? has led to several, rather unstable players actually murdering others for interrupting their gameplay session. This also means that the rage transfers to younger gamers which can affect their behaviour in-game and in reality. Obviously, this is pure idiocy. Games are for fun, rarely are they for true competition and the vast majority of gamers play for fun; those who do play for competition are usually sane enough to take it.
In fact, the good these gamers do usually vastly outweigh the bad. The Humble Bundle Indie Packs are set up so players can donate any amount they want and get a collection of games in return, with the Bundles changing occasionally, and at this time of writing, the bundle gets the donators a collection of books. The money goes to a charity known as ?Child?s Play? which looks to find the generosity of gamers and the industry to improve the lives of ill children in hospitals. There are also ?Indie? games where games are funded by the people who play them, these are also known as ?Kickstarters? and are very popular. On YouTube, there are several gamers turned entertainers who play on camera for fun and have become immensely popular. Felix Kjellberg, known online as ?PewDiePie? has over 2 million subscribers on YouTube and has become popular playing horror games and recording his reactions. James Wilson, known online as ?UberHaxorNova? has over 1 million, becoming popular playing indie games and providing strong humor. Their actions, among hundreds of others influence gamers in positive ways and spread the popularity of other games. What people don?t realise is that violent and sexual content is a very small part of gaming. Other genres do exist, such as puzzle, tactical, platformer, and racing. Some of these games are even more popular than the FPSs, like ?Portal? for example. Gaming changes lives as well. Markus Alexej "Notch" Persson started out as a simple programmer, now he is the owner of a growing developer company thanks to the total explosion of ?Minecraft? which is becoming one of the most popular games in history.
Finally, games have influence on our culture and our thinking. Such great icons have come out of the gaming world and have practically become household names, such as ?Sonic the Hedgehog?, following their immense popularity whether they are modern or classic games.
In closing, gaming does so much good in this world. It just shows gaming is not about killing an enemy and then shouting at someone because they shot you. Gamers are, after all, only human and they represent a slice of humanity. Nobody is perfect, but they are no worse than criminals? or even some politicians. The industry brings people together, does genuine good and changes lives for the better. Even though there are cases where gaming makes the headlines in a bad light, often making people protest against them all, they fail to recognise the rest of the community. In short? Gamers are mere mortals ? not all bad, and not all good.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Do you know how hard it is to type this message with my nose on a Galaxy S4?
I imagine it'd be harder with the Galaxy S4 in your nose...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Let's not actually engage in a meaningful rebuttal of this meaningless crap.
In all fairness, does the rebuttal really have any meaning when the target audience completely and willfully ignores it?

OT: Well, at least I got a laugh out of this. You know, one of those pitying laughs you give your friend when you're watching them play a game and they keep failing at something you did on the first try. You know they're really struggling, but you just can't help it and you really wish you could just yank the controller right out of their hands and take over for them.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Matthi205 said:
Ragsnstitches said:
One would think Fox would be a good standard to measure stupidity, but I think doing so lowers the bar too much.
Fox is perfect as a stupidity measurement system. Anybody who is more stupid than them is definitely an idiot (remember that Killology guy?).

That said, FUCK FOX NEWS. There, I said it. I hate them even more than I do ProSiebenSat1 (and those are already rock bottom from my point of view, makes me think if Fox is trying to tunnel right to the other side of Earth or something).

Griffolion said:
AndrewJamesDrake said:

Intersting piece of BBCode. I only know about [ img ] Image URL [ / img ] tags (again, without the spaces).
imgsrc is usually what HTML and a few other languages use, but its more of a programming than BB code. didnt knew it worked on this forum, doesnt in most. Lets try it out with some cute animal pictures.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Don't ask how, but this gave me a brilliant idea:

Someone should make a satirical management sim where you run a parody version of Fox News. I think that might make a pretty neat game with the right mechanics.

Someone call that guy who made Papers Please. He made stamping passports engaging, I'm sure he could do this.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
But mass murders have been occurring for all recorded history, not only since video games have existed. Which make me wonder..

Who traveled back in time and gave video games to the hundreds of mass murders from centuries ago?! ERMAGERD!!