FOX to Recast Futurama

hansari

May 31, 2009
nilcypher said:
While replacing these talented actors will be difficult, the show must go on."
I don't see how it won't... I mean do the voice actors write the script for the show? Don't the writers do that? I think its more important to make sure its still the same writers.

You guys are ridiculously emotional about this. You realize there are people out there who can do amazing impressions right?

I remember seeing a guy on Late Night who did impressions of all the male characters of Family Guy. Real spot on!

Feb 8, 2009
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Why FOX? Why? I know! Let's start an internet petition! That always works.....

I love Futurama, but this is going to be terrible.

TheLefty

May 21, 2008
The only characters I'm scared for a Zoidberg Fry and Bender. Other than that I guess I can understand. But then again pokemon recasted Ash so maybe someone somewhere will get over ditching Biily West.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Therumancer said:
Well, I have mixed opinions about Futurama.

I will say that immediatly jumping on Fox might not be the right move since we're not in possession of all the information. For example how much are these new Salary demands, especially in comparison with what they were getting paid? Plus despite all the fans one has to weigh that in comparison with what the show is making. How much are people willing to pay/bid fo an ad spot during Futurama?

The cost to produce shows has to be weighed by the amount of money that can be made by advertising/sponsorship. A lot of shows don't make it/get cancelled by simply being too expensive to produce. This is also why a lot of good shows never get picked up. This can revolve around FX, paying the actors, or other factors.

Allegedly Star Trek lasted a very long time despite claims that the networks were losing money on it. The basic claim being that they kept it alive for the fans, despite the cost to produce the episodes/pay the cast being higher than they could get from advertisers. Tie in products/promotions/etc... seeing a vast amount of the money but also seeing it split up a lot of differant ways. I use this as an example simply because of the claims over the years.

You can't keep too many things around that way due to raw love, and it takes a special kind of investment to have networks and producers find ways to contrive to make something profitable (or at least break even) so they can do it, as opposed to make money.

Fururama isn't anything like that I don't believe, and it seems to be a fight between the Network and the cast. Basically the Network feels they can make money off the show, and like it enough to want to keep it around, BUT you've got the cast demanding more money than they ever have before and apparently enough to be an issue.

Without hearing what their demands are, it's hard to say whether we should be yelling at Fox to pay them, or sticking our collective fan-worn boots up the rear of the voice actors for being a group of greedy putzs.

I mean look at it this way, the guy who does Zoidberg is funny (even if I don't watch it that often), but if the dude is like saying that it's not enough for him to have a brand new Lamborgini, but he wants his own personal private jet as well (or whatever, it's probably not that exagerrated) I'm not entirely sure I'd be screaming "Greed" at Fox.

>>>----Therumancer--->
True, but I think most people would rather have them not produce it if they don't have the original cast. They want to keep the integrity of the show alive.

Also, I've seen two of your posts now, and I'd hate to be mean, but there is a reason the Escapist doesn't allow for signatures. Adding your own to the end of every post just seems a little rude, no?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
hansari said:
nilcypher said:
I don't see how it won't... I mean do the voice actors write the script for the show? Don't the writers do that? I think its more important to make sure its still the same writers.

You guys are ridiculously emotional about this. You realize there are people out there who can do amazing impressions right?

I remember seeing a guy on Late Night who did impressions of all the male characters of Family Guy. Real spot on!
...That was Seth MacFarlane [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_MacFarlane]...

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
Wow I love it when the entire story isn't reported. I won't blame the posters for expressing their anger at the situation, but you don't understand the entirety of it. Fox isn't just being cheap or anything. Fox is only producing the program, not broadcasting. Futurama will continue to be shown on Comedy Central, meaning that they cannot give it the budget of say Family Guy or American Dad. It is upsetting, but if they say they can't afford the salaries, it means that these voice "actors" are simply asking for too much and care less about the series than those producing it.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
If they cant use the same voice actors then they should really ditch the old characters and start again.

I'd rather watch unfamiliar characters in an established universe, than see familiar characters ruined because they lost their vocal counterparts.

But that's not going to happen.
So I'll just STFU and let FOX ruin one of my favourite shows.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
A random person said:
TheTygerfire said:
Fox, you'll lose more money by NOT paying them, as no one is going to watch now that nearly 100% of the main cast is gone.
Congratulations, you are a better businessman than a major corporation. A retarded one, granted, but a major corporation.
Without number we are all just speculating though. If an episode of Futurama cost 100,000 to produce and was only expected to bring in 50,000 in ad revenue, why would any business do that?

Actually a more likely scenario is that, Futurama costs 100,000 to produce and brings in an ad revenue of 120,000, but some crappy new reality dating show can be made for 20,000 and yet still bring in 60,000 in ads. So why they have sold far less ad space they are turning a much better profit on their dollar.

Honestly, your best coarse of action in order to convince Fox to shell out for the original voice actors is to convince them of a greater than expected bottom line. Go buy the DVDs and push up the ratings of re-runs. Otherwise Fox is going to cut their loses, maybe attempt the show with a new cast, but it's more likely they simply can the whole thing all together.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Surely just Cancel Fox News, sack everyone who was ever involved, and you have enough to pay the Futurama guys a million per episode, its a win/win.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
hansari said:
nilcypher said:

No it's different. The voice actors made the characters come to life. Changing now is suicide cause the old characters are getting new voices which almost every fan of Futurama will dislike or feel awkward, putting Futurama back on cancelled status.

You canno't replace the voice actors of an already established franchise that has attained cult status.

You cannot replace the whole damn cast at this time. Actually...the whole cast was almost made up of 5 people full time...

Actually...It's better that FOX doesn't even bother to produce the new season, considering the fan backlash at this news. Cancel it now and bring back Firefly...unless you decided to recast them all to.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Mrsnugglesworth said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Well there is always Cartoon Network for the re-runs.
Exactly.

FOX is so retarded. I can understand changing the Professor, Hermes, and >.< fuck cant remember Asian mars girl.

But Fry, Leela, Bender, and Zoidberg can't be replaced.
fixed, also the professee? What have you been smoking?

/fanboy.

Good news everyone! I can't find the email address of the casting director!

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
A lot of fans went out and spent their hard earned money on the DVD's in order to support the show. I don't think this is a good way to repay all of those people. The show has also been going strong in syndication. Either this is an elaborate ruse for Comic-Con or something, or just some public posturing that makes both sides look like toddlers.

CitizenMac

May 20, 2009
That is such a retarded move if it's true. Half of Futurama's appeal is the voice actors' brilliant work, how can you replace people like John DiMaggio, Billy West and Maurice LaMarche? If nothing else, it's good to confirm you can count on FOX to shoot itself in the foot every time. Suffice to say I won't be watching any new episodes with a different voice cast, unless they somehow fit in a new voice cast with an all-new character cast (the ending of the last movie certainly left room for re-inventions and such, I thought).