Full Official TMNT Trailer Is A Triumph Of Incomprehensibility

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
Nex Vesica said:
Shaolen said:
I.....uh.....no. Just no. I will be boycotting this AND the new Transformers. Even IF the latter turns out to be Oscar gold, I don't care. Maybe if enough people don't see these crappy films, Hollywood might get the point? Hire better writers that stay true to the source material. Is it that hard to do?
In a sense, I agree with what you said, but it is the last part that irks me a little. This thread probably wouldn't exist if people always stayed true to the source material as the original TMNT comics are vastly different compared to the stuff in the 80's that really popularized the franchise and made it what it is today. The quality of the writing is what matters the most, and there should certainly be an appreciation for the source material, but at the same time adaptations shouldn't be afraid to stray away and introduce their own elements.
I'm not saying that it has to be a 100% recreation, since there are quite a few to pick from (See the film - Turtles Forever as an example, which BTW was excellent and blended most of the Turtle universes flawlessly). This film fails for me on these levels based upon viewing the trailer:

- Judging from what the trailer presents to us is a "White face" Shredder(an iconic character in any iteration, replaced with William Fichtner, who is a good actor, though not Japanese)

- 'Merican army making its obligatory appearance in a Michael Bay film. Much explosions.(I don't recall the American army being a primary force in the comics/cartoons/games. It was mainly the turtles and their friends taking on the antagonists, why do we need the army in this film?)

- Megan "Club Thumbs" Fox - No, she was terrible in Transformers, only window dressing. Why is she in the spirited role of April O'Neal? Where is her Red hair? There are a TON of actresses that could do this part justice, she isn't one of them.

- Lack of practical effects in favor of CGI - a way to over-inflate your movie budget, and lose its soul in the progress.

The trailer was Turtle shit, plain and simple. I will vote with my wallet as stated in my previous post.

Silvver

Aug 21, 2009
Brian Tams said:
This is ridiculous. The whole thing comes off as stupidly ridiculous. It'll probably be funny in a Tommy Wisau's The Room sort of way.
I hope there is a 90' style rap segment by the great shelled ones. Also a surprise cameo by the grittiest of cartoon characters the mighty Krang!

Have you read 'The Disaster Artist' written by Mark (Greg Sestero) which tells the story of meeting Tommy and the lead up to The Room. It is genuinely a fantastic read if you loved the film.

There is a paragraph that recounts Gregg's solo trip to Bucharest and whilst relaxing a door knock reveals a telegram. The paragraph ends with "I still don't know how Tommy found me."

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
I do like Michelangelo's updated weapon - the Sansetsukon, though you'd think it would be better adapted to Donatello, since it is a staff that breaks into 3 parts. That part I did like about the trailer.

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
ThreeName said:
I never realised what a horrible actor Megan Fox was. Jesus fucking Christ.
Google "Megan Fox's Thumbs" for some nightmare fuel. Just as scary as her acting.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
RossaLincoln said:
PeaceRider said:
RossaLincoln said:
Full Official TMNT Trailer Is A Triumph Of Incomprehensibility

The trailer also confirms that the turtles' origin is no longer random exposure to radioactive waste. Instead, years before, Shredder and his partner, April O'Neil's father, conducted deliberate genetic manipulation in order to create heroes, because reasons. After all, what better way to put the public's mind to rest than to spend what must have been billions making super-sized, man-shaped turtles, then turn that billion-dollar investment into vigilantes with no authority to enforce the law. Obviously, that's a very well-thought out plan that will deliver a serious ROI for people who funded the research.

I actually don't think that is what they confirmed. If anything what he meant is that was what the ooze was "originally" meant for. The Turtles themselves could still be the result of an accidentally broken container. If the Shredder made them, then why does it seem they were not raised by him. If ol' bucket head made the turtles, then they would of been raised by him, thus have no need to go nuts like this.
If they WERE made by Shredder's group, then I'd say they were spirited away from the labs shortly after creation then raised in secret as normal.
You may just turn out to be right, however your rightness gets in the way of my snark and that I CANNOT ABIDE SIR. Ahem. But seriously, you might be right, however, Fichtner is Shredder, and he is the one pretty much saying that the turtles had to be made, whatever that means. Maybe it's a false flag thing. Another commenter suggested that O'Neil's father will probably turn out to be splinter, and that sounds like just the right level of dumb and also, would fit your theory (not that your theory is dumb, just that this movie clearly will be.)
I think what he is saying is that a superior soldier had to be made, and that soldier was Shredder (himself). This would make the turtles creation accidental. Splinter will probably be the rat that they originally tested the super soldier formula on. I think you read this one all wrong.

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
Jonny49 said:
Shaolen said:
I.....uh.....no. Just no. I will be boycotting this AND the new Transformers. Even IF the latter turns out to be Oscar gold, I don't care. Maybe if enough people don't see these crappy films, Hollywood might get the point? Hire better writers that stay true to the source material. Is it that hard to do?
So you're going to boycott it even if it's good? Isn't that what we want?

OT: It's a bit generic admittedly, but it could have been waaaaaaaaaay worse. I think the turtles themselves (from what little we see of them) look pretty solid.
I won't be lining up at the theater, or paying for premium tickets on this one. I will catch it a year later on Netflix, or not. There ARE better films out there to waste my time on. 1000's of movies come out every year, can't watch them all(unless that's your job, or you have a lot of free time).

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
Nex Vesica said:
Shaolen said:
In a sense, I agree with what you said, but it is the last part that irks me a little. This thread probably wouldn't exist if people always stayed true to the source material as the original TMNT comics are vastly different compared to the stuff in the 80's that really popularized the franchise and made it what it is today. The quality of the writing is what matters the most, and there should certainly be an appreciation for the source material, but at the same time adaptations shouldn't be afraid to stray away and introduce their own elements.

Absolutely true. But do you think that Michael Bay is going to do this in a manner which produces a stunning new take on the Turtles which will revolutionize their popularity and re-difne then for a Generation?
Because I think Transformers.

As you say, quality of writing is what matters most. Michael Bay wouldn't understand good story writing if he was Lynch-mobbed by Irate fans and sat down to re-take English and writing class from grade one through a Masters Degree. His Paper would likely be on why Books need more explosions.
Good writers are needed in any film. Take "1408" for example. The story is 24 pages. The movie added plot elements and didn't alter the message. Combine that with strong actors (John Cusack mostly act/reacting to the room, and a yelly Sam Jackson for the most part), and you get an entertaining film, and the fans aren't angry.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Slycne said:
I'm getting really annoyed in this ongoing trend to replace character motivation with rampant interconnections. As if April O'Neil needed some additional contrivance to be involved in the plot.
Louis Lane could have used more reasons to be in half the scenes she was in during Man of Steel, but hey, I think we're both overestimating how much the studios care about plot logic and character motivations. I agree with you wholeheartedly, regardless.

Amazing Spider-Man can die in a fire.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well. This Internet reaction isn't much of a surprise... I find myself hoping it'll do well at the box office despite the usual nostolgia backlash.

Personally, I have to say I'm open to this re-model. I still think the turtles could have done without lips - I guess I would have opted for something more beak-like instead; other than that I like their design. Always felt the shells they were given in the cartoon shows were too small in terms of proportion. Oh yeah, and while I would have preferred him to remain of Asian descent, I at least like the look of Shredder's new threads.

Not much there regarding character personalities, but it looks like they got Mikey right, which was my main concern (given the unbearable levels of douchebag humour displayed by the Autobot twins in Transformers 2). I have to agree with Slycne on his point - it irks me how film makers nowadays compulsively interconnect any and all characters in a movie.

Of course part of my goodwill is based on my inner child craving quality TMNT action on the big screen, so I'm somewhat grasping at straws. But then again I've never despised Michael Bay like all the cool people on the Internet. He's Hollywood's go-to-guy for action-heavy shallow nonsense best enjoyed with a couple of friends, and the TMNT fit that bill rather well to begin with.
Seeing how I'm also generally open to adaptations without high levels of fidelity to source material, I'm willing to at least give this movie an honest shot at convincing me.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
The trailer left me a tad...bewildered. The scope and breadth that it's implying seems above what the Ninja Turtles are (classically) capable of. Honestly for the first 30 seconds I thought it was a joke trailer. I mean if the Foot Clan are such a threat that we're deploying guys in Humvees, then it's beyond the skill of four well trained but isolated guys.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I didn't grow up with Turtles so from a nostalgia standpoint I can't really get mad at the movie for going in a different direction with designs (though I AM a fan of the 2k12 series on Nick right now), though from the get-go I wasn't a fan of the lips. Too humanoid, not mutant enough.

However, I agree with other posters in that... why is Megan Fox in this other than "she and Bay had something going that one time"? That doesn't justify being even an "okay" actor. It's like trying to find reasons why Kristen Stewart should keep being an actress... though to be fair, I'd rather see Megan Fox flail in a movie much sooner than Kristen's absolute NOTHING expression throughout the whole movie. At least Megan looked kind of surprised. I can imagine Kristen going "Oh gee, giant mutant turtles. Wow."

Also gotta agree with the whole "trying to make it edgier by connecting stories" junk. There's no reason for that to even be a thing here, it just complicates what doesn't need to be complicated. Remember the halcyon days where they kicked bad guy butt and ate pizza? Times was simpler, then

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Didn't watch much of the cartoon or read the comic as a kid.

However if I had I suspect I would be laughing hysterically and clawing at my eyeballs right about now.

As it is, that trailer looks like something I could enjoy with a couple of friends, a generous supply of booze and a slow afternoon.
Have you seen the 1990 film? Because if that's what your after then it might be right up your alley

I also genuinely like it, it respects the scource material

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
The one thing that really sticks out for me from the trailer (not knowing the series very well), is that it doesn't seem to be about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's about humans talking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Basically like transformers all over again.

That being said, doesn't the whole intro seem way too cliche? Justice, a city under attack, protecting the people and all that. If there's ONE thing that TMNT has going for it, it's the fact that it's got Teenage. Mutant. Ninja. Turtles. You'd think nobody could mess that up....

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
...ehhh. okay so maybe shredder was working on a super soldier program and the turtles were an accident. (chemical leak) and not the actual point of the project...maybe? As for the turtles look, Leonardo actually looked okay but mikey just looked like a painted squash.

is this an near future new York? because last I checked New York's crime level is much lower now than it was when the turtles were big. but apparently its being eaten alive by crime....okay fine what ever, dark near future.

Megan Fox looks sooo stupid in Aprils jump suit. she looks like a hooker wearing a Double Dare jumpsuit.

And Shredder...okay I think I see what they were going for. Like maybe a David Carradine kinda Asian white guy feel. That being said the guy they have playing him just doesn't seem imposing enough. He's more like the corp villain in Robocop. Good for standing behind a desk but shredder needs to get his hands dirty every now and then.

I hated the transformer movies and I didn't think we'd get anything good from the turtle film but I was still hopeful that maybe it would sorta watchable but after that trailer...

wow bay is really going to fuck this movie in the ass isn't he?

Max Cohan

Jun 18, 2012
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm hoping it's more like Shredder and April's father made the ooze for super soldiers, shredder takes it for the foot, and some gets lost which inadvertently creates the turtles, I don't think he actually meant to make the turtles. But really all I want is bebop and rocksteady

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
What..the..F**k... I loved Ninja Turtles cartoons/movies when i was little, but this is bad beyond words.....way to piss in the cornflakes of my childhood michael bay.. you bastard...