Fun ways to screw with Telephone sales people

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
I used to have problem with that, once i started working. I started getting calls about "better ways to insure myself" etc. etc.
I was pissed. Then i found out, that where i live, we have this thing called "bel-me-niet-register" (dont call me list).
Apparently you can get a fine if you call someone on that list.

Since then i was never called by telemarketing.

Maybe its not fun, but sure as hell effective way to screw with telephone sales people. And thats what i wanted after a long work day.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
In the UK we have the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

This is a free service where you can register your phone number. All (legitimate and professional) telemarketing companies operating in the UK must use the database to remove numbers from their cold-calling database or face action from the Information Communications Office (ICO). The Direct Marketing organisations pay for this service themselves.

It doesn't stop international scammers from "Windows Technical Support" calling - or illegitimate cold-calling organisations, but it helps thin the herd and properly identify when someone should be phoning and when they shouldn't.

The Premium number organisation does not recommend consumers setting up a premium rate number and using that when registering for web-sites because it is hard for individuals to ensure that they comply with premium rate regulations, which could leave them open to claims from companies. Just saying.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
The moment I realize they're selling something I state my opinion on the matter and hang up.

"Hello, would you be interested in purcha-"
"Not interested." [click]

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Answer with a different accent and cadence everytime, give out different names every time, and just get more and more ridiculous each time they call me.

Eventually, they stop. Looks like making masturbation noises with a can of paint and a plunger with Terminator 2 on with the volume at 100 was their limit.

Nukekitten

Sep 21, 2014
Block all withheld numbers. Anyone who calls from an actual number tends to go:

"Hello, is this [Nukekitten]?"
"... Maybe. Who is this?"
"We're [company]."
"... No, I'm not interested in that. Good day. *Hang up and add their number to the blocked-caller list*"

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Orbot_Vectorman said:
I've been getting calls from a construction company recently, and it is bordering on the harassment territory. Any how I got a call yesterday from a different company, this time some solar energy company. So after getting annoyed with how the ***** on the line was trying to keep me on the phone, I finally looked up "WTF BOOM" on YouTube, cranked up my speakers and all the volume sliders on my computer, and with the phone close to the speaker I played the video, needless to say she was not happy.

Any way, I was kinda curious, what are your favorite ways to get back at these telemarketing ass holes?
Don't do anything and just politely tell them you're not interested whilst not being a knobber about it because they probably don't deserve whatever you had planned.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Marter said:
Politely tell them I'm not interested, say goodbye, and then hang up.

You know, because they're people, just like you and I, doing their job and trying to pay the bills.
This. If you don't want to get calls from telemarketers, register your phone on the state no-call list. Don't be an asshole to people who are just trying to make a living.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
You could just treat them like they're people.
While I'm not in the industry myself I work with some people who do Telesales and guess what, they're actually some rather nice people and try to be as polite as possible. They don't make a habit of phoning random people either, if you're on the list to call you're probably on there for a reason, they're not just trying to make a habit of annoying people.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Pyrian said:
"It's okay that we're doing bad things, because we're just doing them for money!" Huh?
Nobody gives military or prison contractors shit. Telemarketers, who have little choice in who they call really, are way way down on any list of "bad" things. So they might slightly annoy those who can't be arsed to put their phone on the no-call list, so they can have food to eat and a roof over their heads? Oh what awful people.

Telemarketers aren't rich, they're not powerful. Picking on them just makes one a bully, like those assholes who treat waiters like subhumans just because they can.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Marter said:
Politely tell them I'm not interested, say goodbye, and then hang up.

You know, because they're people, just like you and I, doing their job and trying to pay the bills.
I'm mostly with this one because I used to work for an inside sales organization. We were business to business but the concept is the same.

However, a buddy of mine actually used to train telemarketers. So if someone called when he wasn't in the mood, he'd grade them, politely critique their technique and invite them to hang up and try again.

No one ever did.

[Side note: I notice the little red button is back. What's the occasion, I wonder...]

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I kept getting phone calls which are obviously a scam saying "I work with windows. There is a problem with your computer" or something along those lines

They tried a few times and I recognised it was them and when he said "I work with windows" I interupted and said "good. Bring your ladder and bucket tomorrow"

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
While I'm not in the industry myself I work with some people who do Telesales and guess what, they're actually some rather nice people and try to be as polite as possible. They don't make a habit of phoning random people either, if you're on the list to call you're probably on there for a reason, they're not just trying to make a habit of annoying people.
They might be nice people but at work they rip off the elderly and vulnerable. Im sure a lot of bank robbers and street hustlers are nice people. It doesnt excuse what they do

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
neonit said:
I used to have problem with that, once i started working. I started getting calls about "better ways to insure myself" etc. etc.
I was pissed. Then i found out, that where i live, we have this thing called "bel-me-niet-register" (dont call me list).
Apparently you can get a fine if you call someone on that list.

Since then i was never called by telemarketing.

Maybe its not fun, but sure as hell effective way to screw with telephone sales people. And thats what i wanted after a long work day.
Doesn't stop scammers though, last one called to say that there was a problem with my laptop. When I asked them for the OS I was using they got it wrong already. Didn't knew how fast he needed to hang up.

Anyway, if it's a telemarketer: How annoying it may be, I try to be polite myself. If it's a scammer, then I don't mind returning the favor by being annoying.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
shootthebandit said:
I kept getting phone calls which are obviously a scam saying "I work with windows. There is a problem with your computer" or something along those lines

They tried a few times and I recognised it was them and when he said "I work with windows" I interupted and said "good. Bring your ladder and bucket tomorrow"
I need to remember this in case they are going to pull the same scam off with me again.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I just can't. I have ten giant webpages full of Malkavian pranks that would work with telemarketers, but they're PEOPLE. And they work for a company, it's not like they're harassing you directly, it's on an order. I can't do it, I would love to, but my conscience says no.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Orbot_Vectorman said:
Any way, I was kinda curious, what are your favorite ways to get back at these telemarketing ass holes?
I think my favorite way to screw with these people is to set up a premium-rate phone line and redirect the telemarketer through it before answering.

It discourages them from calling back quite well.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
shootthebandit said:
hazabaza1 said:
They might be nice people but at work they rip off the elderly and vulnerable. Im sure a lot of bank robbers and street hustlers are nice people. It doesnt excuse what they do
I'm glad you're aware of what every person whose job it is to phone somebody does. I thought that the people I work with were employed to phone businesses and work towards getting people Apprentices, but I guess I'm just flat out wrong.
Good to know that everyone whose job it is to phone somebody immediately laser-points themselves to old and vulnerable people, I'll remember to tell them that on Monday and compare them to criminals.

Oh wait a second that's a massive assumption and generalization, and actually flat-out wrong! Golly-gosh, I wonder how that came to be. Heaven forbid that maybe, just maybe there are certain people who do enjoy ripping off these people and are scumbags, but there are also some that are just working to get an honest wage and we should assume the minimal human decency (as most people are at least not openly shitbags) and reserve our judgement for when we realise the distasteful actions someone is taking.
Nah, that sounds silly. Let's just insult and annoy everyone.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Just say 'yes' to all of their questions. Nothing else, just 'yes'.

They think they have a potential sale, but they eventually realize you're just bullshitting them... which is more fun than simply hanging up on them.