Funny events in anti-woke world

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Aw..

I know you're kidding, but as someone who has gone through the experience of really, truly hating the way they look quite a lot, the empathy is real so, for my benefit, let me tell you what I would tell myself.

Whatever you think you look like and however you feel about it, you are still worthy of being treated with respect, and you deserve the chance to be loved and recognized for the good qualities that you have.

One of those good qualities is that you aren't the person here trying to hold others to your weird personal standards of social acceptability, and that's nice, it's kind, and it is deserving of nothing but kindness in turn. Thus, nothing unkind that I have said actually applies to you.
I am kidding, but there's a truth behind it, so thank you.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Cool, same old talking points again.

Still waiting for any instance at all of a subjective term like "hurt" (which is the word actually used in the subreddit comment) being successfully upheld in court as an example of libel.
Well it did take you 18+ times to acknowledge my actual position and stop trying to strawman so I'm not sure why you're shocked I'm repeating things.

Also low priced is a subjective term and I showed an example of that.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well it did take you 18+ times to acknowledge my actual position and stop trying to strawman so I'm not sure why you're shocked I'm repeating things.
Oh, I still don't accept your denial, because I still watched you do what you denied doing.

Also low priced is a subjective term and I showed an example of that.
You showed me an example of a different legal standard, and it didn't even get upheld in court.

We're still waiting for you to cite a private libel case with a subjective term like "hurt" being upheld as libellous.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Oh, I still don't accept your denial, because I still watched you do what you denied doing.
No you just believe you did because I dunno maybe you think Uncle Bob deserves it or something

You showed me an example of a different legal standard, and it didn't even get upheld in court.

We're still waiting for you to cite a private libel case with a subjective term like "hurt" being upheld as libellous.
It got settled which generally means the company felt it wouldn't go their way in court.

I'm sure if you want to look into it you'll find plenty of equally silly things Ian Hislop has been sued and lost in court over.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Seriously though, many conservatives today would've wanted America to have lost the war just because of this. Have you seen them creaming their pants over the U.S. womens soccer team losing at the Olympics, and how the "blue-haired lesbians" were beaten by "hot Swedish blondes"? Actual words that were spoken by a grown man.
Funny, innit? Almost as if they don't actually love America so much as they love their image of a super-masculine country where them wimminz know their place.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I think this non-binary push is a psychological disorder of some kind. Either stemming from the non-special persons desire to be special, or simply a maddening reasoning to find a way to portray themselves as a victim since they so often like to squeeze into the "marginalized" demographic. Not to mention I think non-binary and the gender spectrum as a whole directly contradicts and insults the transmovement who are people that feel that they are born in the wrong body, and they go through incredible hardships to configure their bodies in a way that fits how they view themselves. This non-binary and genderfluid idea that someone can simple be whatever they want on a whim total underminds that concept and is more like a fairy tale than anything that holds up to any real scrutiny.
Doesn't have to be a disorder but simple psychology: people want to be at the center of their group. Coming up with new groups isn't always the best coping mechanism and with idpol we get ridiculous stuff sometimes, because people have the idea that their identity is rooted in some deep search for authenticity.

A broader point about standards of appearance. Which is crazier: transitioning from a fat and ugly man to a fat and ugly woman or from a regular bloke to Miss Nevada? The latter required tens of thousands of dollars' worth of surgeries and the result is manipulated images and tons of makeup anyways. The latter is much crazier, to me at least, but to achieve their dream on top of the respect they want it had to be done. Seeing these transformed males makes one question the authenticity of beauty which has become more artificial than ever with photomanipulation and filters. I still find some degrees of separation between the obviously fake (internet) and real life (so that I can scoff at a masculine person named "Jessica"). Though it could get harder; my female coworkers are almost unrecognizable in their social media profiles and they can't wash off their filled-up lips.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Funny, innit? Almost as if they don't actually love America so much as they love their image of a super-masculine country where them wimminz know their place.
But when America was founded during the glory days of the Founding Fathers, through its growing pains in the 19th century with the civil war and Lincoln, to strength and dominance via taming the West, industrialisation and success in the world wars, America was a super-masculine country where wimminz knew their place. Such is the American way.

In fact it's only been since the 1960s and onwards when wimminz and black people started getting uppity and wanting a proper share of the cake that things have gone wrong, and that's only worsened as rights have also been extended to other un-American types like non-white immigrants, homosexuals and trans people.

What more proof does any good, honest, red-blooded Real American need?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No you just believe you did because I dunno maybe you think Uncle Bob deserves it or something.

the company felt it wouldn't go their way in court.

I'm sure if you want to look into it you'll find plenty of equally silly things Ian Hislop has been sued and lost in court over.
OK, so just more strawmanning and vague references to other (media) cases you can't actually cite.

We both know that you cannot be sued for saying someone said something "hurtful", because its obviously not against the law.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
OK, so just more strawmanning and vague references to other (media) cases you can't actually cite.

We both know that you cannot be sued for saying someone said something "hurtful", because its obviously not against the law.
Well I don't have access to an easy to search database of all defamation claim and google isn't exactly great for looking up specific stuff like that (nor is Scholar).
Ian Hislop has been sued for jokes in a satirical magazine so yeh you can totally be sued for falsely claiming a person has harmed others.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
This piece of shit...

Mr Trump offered a less charitable assessment of the result, releasing a statement blaming “wokeness” for the team’s failure to win gold.

“If our soccer team, headed by a radical group of leftist maniacs, wasn’t woke, they would have won the gold medal instead of the bronze,” the former president said.

“Woke means you lose, everything that is woke goes bad, and our soccer team certainly has.

“There were, however, a few patriots standing. Unfortunately, they need more than that respecting our country and national anthem. They should replace the wokesters with patriots and start winning again.

“The woman with the purple hair played terribly and spends too much time thinking about radical left politics and not doing her job!”

The “woman with the purple hair” is Megan Rapinoe, who actually scored two spectacular goals in the bronze medal match – one a sumptuous volley, the other a rare “Olimpico”, in which she scored directly from a corner kick.

One can only assume Mr Trump did not watch the game before pontificating on it.

Incidentally, Rapinoe won the Ballon d’Or for being the world’s best player in 2019, when she was just as politically active as she is now.

Mr Trump’s assertion that only “a few patriots” stood for the national anthem is a little baffling as well. Every US player has stood for the anthem at every match in Tokyo. The team announced it would stop kneeling all the way back in February.

Rapinoe started to kneel during the anthem in 2016 in solidarity with NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who began the practice to protest against racial injustice. When other NFL players followed suit, Mr Trump said they should be fired.

Some misinformation did spread online after the Americans’ first match in Tokyo, against Sweden, with some on social media claiming players knelt during the anthem.

That was not the case. Both teams and the referee knelt for 10 seconds just before kick-off in a collective protest against discrimination and racial inequality.

Perhaps that is what Mr Trump was thinking of.

RELATED: Trump rally crowd cheers for US team’s defeat

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Well I don't have access to an easy to search database of all defamation claim and google isn't exactly great for looking up specific stuff like that (nor is Scholar).
Ian Hislop has been sued for jokes in a satirical magazine so yeh you can totally be sued for falsely claiming a person has harmed others.
Convenient

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

He has a point. We/The US have wasted 1 million vaccines, that's potentially thousands to tens of thousands of lives that could have been saved. All because of the idiots in the conservative republican party that is not taking them.

If I was the head of the state I would send everyone who hasn't taken a shot a letter saying your vaccine will be given to a developing country if you don't take a shot in a week, but in this stupid country we have to be afraid of Republicans who are murdering themselves, and potentially others like suicidal children because they refuse to get vaccinated while the world is begging for vaccinations.

By the way, 10k people are dying a day mostly in Asia.

As a cynic, I can't help but wonder whether this is a strategy on the Biden team to kill as many Asians as possible since dead men can't hold rifles, fire anti-ship missiles, or work in an outsourced factory.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

He has a point. We/The US have wasted 1 million vaccines, that's potentially thousands to tens of thousands of lives that could have been saved. All because of the idiots in the conservative republican party that is not taking them.

If I was the head of the state I would send everyone who hasn't taken a shot a letter saying your vaccine will be given to a developing country if you don't take a shot in a week, but in this stupid country we have to be afraid of Republicans who are murdering themselves, and potentially others like suicidal children because they refuse to get vaccinated while the world is begging for vaccinations.

By the way, 10k people are dying a day mostly in Asia.

As a cynic, I can't help but wonder whether this is a strategy on the Biden team to kill as many Asians as possible since dead men can't hold rifles, fire anti-ship missiles, or work in an outsourced factory.

Asia isn’t just China. This may be my old world education or lack there of showing, but it also includes Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia, India and Pakistan. Hell apparently you can include the Iranian Plateau, Arabian Peninsula and part of Siberia.

So are the Chinese losing ten thousand people a day or is that ten thousand a day stretched across all those other countries?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Asia isn’t just China. This may be my old world education or lack there of showing, but it also includes Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia, India and Pakistan. Hell apparently you can include the Iranian Plateau, Arabian Peninsula and part of Siberia.

So are the Chinese losing ten thousand people a day or is that ten thousand a day stretched across all those other countries?
Biden and Hillary somewhat are realists, to a realist, all countries are either temporary friends, or enemies, or neutral, but potential future threats. So if people die in say Vietnam who is our friend right now, well it still benefits the US somehow because they aren't us.

My only regret in foreign policy classes is not calling out this demented logic and also somewhat embracing it early on.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Recently in Woke world.
People doxxed and went after an elderly man who they thought said on offensive word but was actually calling for the teams mascot called Dinger

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
They're going after Gareth Brooks now.... without realising that Brooks did a pro-gay song. In the 90s

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Can I add this?

Even the Republican governor can't pretend the new voting laws arent just straight up harming people's ability to vote

Wisconsin governor vetoes Republican-backed voting restrictions (msn.com)
The governor of Wisconsin is a Democrat. Your link actually says so. And your source referring to them as "voting restriction bills" isn't a good look as far as unbiased reporting.

Like, 2020 was exceptional. It was an election in a pandemic, and required exceptions to normal procedures just to happen. Republican efforts on voting systems around the country are codifying some of the changes and discarding the others, and by the end basically every state will lie somewhere between pre-pandemic and post-pandemic rules. I don't believe any state is going to be harder to vote in in 2022 than it was in 2018. Characterizing these things as voter suppression is pure propaganda.

Like, look at this:
The bill is making it harder to vote absentee by... making an actual request form. Why in the hell did they not previously have a form? They actually had a system where people requested ballots by sending in like a hand-written letter and hoping you've got all the right information. This bill would controversially end the practice of election officials filling out your missing information... because now there's a form telling you what information they need, because there wasn't previously a form. Does anyone seriously think that "hmmm, maybe we should standardize this process with a form" is some sort of malicious voter suppression?