United States of America

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Twitter thread going wrong for the OP

Another reply had "Go Woke or Get Smoked" and I'm feeling a suprising amount of Murika. Thought that had shriveled up by now.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Twitter thread going wrong for the OP

Another reply had "Go Woke or Get Smoked" and I'm feeling a suprising amount of Murika. Thought that had shriveled up by now.
I’ve never understood that. I mean if you’re a dedicated peacenik you’re not joining the armed forces regardless of your gender because it’s something that’s morally anathema to you.

Conversely I don’t see how a trans man or trans woman or non binary person is gonna be any less shit at aiming a rifle or driving a tank than their cisgender colleagues. I mean I’m a cishet white boy and if the Australian military took me it would be because they were in dire straits. Otherwise they’re better off with the transgender gym bunny with a degree.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Conversely I don’t see how a trans man or trans woman or non binary person is gonna be any less shit at aiming a rifle or driving a tank than their cisgender colleagues.
Some people need to believe that war is a manly thing where boys become men and you can't really trust a fellow soldier unless he's as willing to stick his dick in the local chicks as you are.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Conversely I don’t see how a trans man or trans woman or non binary person is gonna be any less shit at aiming a rifle or driving a tank than their cisgender colleagues.
I doubt the military thinks so either. But I think the military's argument in some cases might be that if people require medication for their trans status, this poses health risks in case of logistical problems or if the individual is captured. I suspect the more likely underlying reason is that the military are conservative and like keeping things the way they are.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I don't understand anything about this.
I think it has something to do with the OP of the tweet stating that Russia has big penis extensions guns because they're so manly while America is tiny and shriveled because we actually care about others. Then someone else came along and reminded him that war is primarily fought with technology these days, not big bulging manly muscles.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There was an incident in Syria where about 40 US commando types held off hundreds of Russian mercenaries, killing ~40% of them in the process, with the only US casualty being one local fighter getting wounded. The US deployed its patented tactic of "Screw the rules, I have money", aka, overwhelming offsite fire support brought in by stealthy assholes.

The US military is bad at a lot of things, but killing shit loads of dudes in a straight up fight is not one of them. We're big supporters of fire superiority and operational stealth.

That's why we suck so bad at counter insurgency and occupations. It's a mutually exclusive skillset.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The Twitter Left online is so fractured. On one side you have Glenn Greenwald Jimmy Dore, the Green Party, and the People's Party. On the other side, you have TYT, Cenk Uygur, Sam Seder, Vaush, Emma Vigeland, Ana Kasparian, and the Justice democrats.

The former is backed by the republicans, and Fox News, and the latter by the democrats.

And then you have people like me, Secular Talk, and many DSA people stuck in the middle. Why do I suspect people on both sides are acting in bad faith or being funded by groups in the establishment.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Twitter Left online is so fractured. On one side you have Glenn Greenwald Jimmy Dore, the Green Party, and the People's Party. On the other side, you have TYT, Cenk Uygur, Sam Seder, Vaush, Emma Vigeland, Ana Kasparian, and the Justice democrats.

The former is backed by the republicans, and Fox News, and the latter by the democrats.

And then you have people like me, Secular Talk, and many DSA people stuck in the middle. Why do I suspect people on both sides are acting in bad faith or being funded by groups in the establishment.
You gotta add another group - the institutional Democrats like Clintons, Biden and Pelosi who bred a very different interpretation of the left

You know, I was just listening to Cynical Historians take on Black Panthers.

It's somewhat similar... but without the guns. Dore in particular is very militant compared to the other side. Seder is far more about understanding the 'democratic process' and finding weak spots to push on. Vaush cares more about debating the 'other side.'

And that's how the GOP is. There is clearly a fight going on behind the scenes between the Intuitional GOP, Alt-right and actual crazy fascist. Trumpers are another layer but they can fit into one of those categories.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Anybody else find the "I stand with <currently trending douchnozzle who got caught in some shit>, who's with me?" accounts super creepy?

Like, how do all those xeroxed people have checkmarks?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think it has something to do with the OP of the tweet stating that Russia has big penis extensions guns because they're so manly while America is tiny and shriveled because we actually care about others. Then someone else came along and reminded him that war is primarily fought with technology these days, not big bulging manly muscles.
Yes, that's roughly my takeaway too.

Reminds me of an incident in the Ottoman-Mameluk wars in the 1500s. The Mameluks were superb cavalrymen, but kitted out for medieval warfare. The Ottomans had adopted gunpowder warfare, and wrecked that superb cavalry with their guns. There's a record I read somewhere of a frustrated Mameluk cavalryman passionately entreating the Ottomans to fight hand to hand, like men should. Funnily, it doesn't work that way.

One cannot help but point out that the manly Russian attempts to pacify the Chechen insurgency by the manly approach of flattening anything and everything were sort of successful in the end (in the Roman sense of making a desert and calling it peace). But the Russian military's casualties were vast compared to the USA's in Iraq, when you factor in that the USA had to demolish a depleted but substantial national military and take over an area and population 20-30 times larger. It is better to be effective than manly.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I think it has something to do with the OP of the tweet stating that Russia has big penis extensions guns because they're so manly while America is tiny and shriveled because we actually care about others.
Honestly, when it comes to the Russian army, I think the big question is whether they manage to shoot anyone before shooting themselves.

All that "manliness" comes at a very real cost.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They're really saying the quiet parts out loud a lot these days. Gotta normalize this shit for their brainwashed audience before their audience has an original thought.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Honestly, when it comes to the Russian army, I think the big question is whether they manage to shoot anyone before shooting themselves.

All that "manliness" comes at a very real cost.
In fairness to the Russian army that's normally because they're very very drunk.