United States of America
Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
So according to your article, they had an entirely different plan using different programs and funding (though focused on the same issues).

That doesn't refute what I said. In the US, the Green New Deal generally refers to the plan proposed by AOC et al which (I assumed) was the one referred to. It looks like the International Green party (not the US one specifically) came up with a Green New Deal. They did not come up with the Green New Deal as talked about in everyday US politics; that was done by progressive Democrats.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
So according to your article, they had an entirely different plan using different programs and funding (though focused on the same issues).

That doesn't refute what I said. In the US, the Green New Deal generally refers to the plan proposed by AOC et al which (I assumed) was the one referred to. It looks like the International Green party (not the US one specifically) came up with a Green New Deal. They did not come up with the Green New Deal as talked about in everyday US politics; that was done by progressive Democrats.
That comes across as very pedantic and trying to whitewash the reality that the Democrats had to be cajoled into even making a compromised GND.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
That comes across as very pedantic
I had openly acknowledged I was being pedantic and technical in the original comment....

and trying to whitewash the reality that the Democrats had to be cajoled into even making a compromised GND.
Which is just as factually evidenced as the view that Democrats acknowledged the issues at hand and came up with a practical and actually implementable plan rather than relying on pie-in-they-sky wishful posturing as the Greens are known to do. Biased theoretical interpretations are still theoretical at the end of the day.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I had openly acknowledged I was being pedantic and technical in the original comment....

Which is just as factually evidenced as the view that Democrats acknowledged the issues at hand and came up with a practical and actually implementable plan rather than relying on pie-in-they-sky wishful posturing as the Greens are known to do. Biased theoretical interpretations are still theoretical at the end of the day.
I mean, apart from the well researched and thorough plan they laid out. It's only pie-in-the-sky to neolibs who would be threatened by such measures.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, I would go so far as to say I'm just not anonymous here. I've freely given enough details about myself, I have no right to be upset if someone tracks me down.
I personally cant understand why anyone would want to track anyone down (unless crimes were involved)

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I'll do what conservatives online tend to not do and actually ask; what IS your "House"?
The one that believed in liberty and saw the value in many freedoms while choosing to fight with the information not with feelings and presented the information rather than shamed people for not already knowing it.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Yeah, IIRC, insolvency laws in England allow you to do pretty much that; it's why really shit builders do it all the time - as soon as they dissolve the company they've got no responsibility for any of the work they've done. And even a shit builder can make a brick wall stay up for 18 months. Eventually the courts might step in, so they start another company with their wife, son, brother etc. at the director. This is why I own so many tools.
Just out of curiosity, why would a wall stand up for 18 months then fail? What are the builders doing or not doing?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Just out of curiosity, why would a wall stand up for 18 months then fail? What are the builders doing or not doing?
Just depends how well it's made. Looking at decaying walls, my guess is that it's normally poor mortaring. Either a bad mix of components so the mortar lacks strength, or possbly just badly set - I would guess if holes are left, water seeps in and erodes it (particularly in cold weather if it freezes and expands). Could also be failure to set a proper foundation so subsidence cracks it, etc.

There's a wall in my street where whoever did the wall between the garden and road was completely incompetent - and indeed a big chunk of it has fallen down. It was clearly done piecemeal, and the added sections don't fit properly with each other. In some parts they didn't even stagger the bricks on some layers: and how the fuck does someone not realise you need to do that from looking at literally just about any wall in existence?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Poor foundations for the soil conditions. I can't recall exactly which way round it is, but I think clay soils are prone to heave (lifting up) and contraction depending on the amount of water (or nearby trees, which suck up a lot of water), so you need about a metre depth of concrete for the footings. If the soil swells and lifts an insufficient footing, your brickwork will be lifted unevenly and crack.

It's something you hear reported on new-build estates, so it's not strictly a cowboy builder issue, just skimping on time and money. But I've seen it on extensions where the original house is 'settled', but the new extension isn't, so it moves and splits apart from the main building.

Edit: 90cm depth is the minimum for footings in England; I think in some parts, especially the south, you need to go down to 2m to get acceptable footings.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I have no evidence other than what Biden has said, but why do I have a suspicion that Biden will ax social security in his second term like Obama tried to implement TPP in his second term. It's what I would do if I was neoliberal, nice things during the first term, bad things during the second.

Also maybe we should get rid of term limits for the presidency.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
The one that believed in liberty and saw the value in many freedoms while choosing to fight with the information not with feelings and presented the information rather than shamed people for not already knowing it.
Vague, but okay.

Oh, and something that made me smile today.
20210831_113500.jpg

Reactions: Agema

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Another one, for the interested (which I suspect isn't a high number) is that you can use too good a mortar, if goodness is measured by strength rather than suitability. Too much cement in the mortar for lightweight aerated blocks (which are popular because they're light, insulating, and contain waste products) makes the mortar stronger than the blocks, so as the mortar dries and shrinks slightly it pulls the blocks apart.

(I've never seen this, but apparently it's an issue. Even seen someone suggest a 1/9 cement/sand mix for these mortars, but I feel that's actually just sand. Or homeopathy for builders.)

Reactions: Kwak

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's the house everyone thinks they live in.
The one thing I've learnt from Conservative talk/radio show is that they never shame people

... Wait. What's that? Are you sure?

Sorry, just got a call from my lawyer that I cant lie like that. They only ever shame people and spend they're time on little else.

I mean, seriously. It's like some people have never walked into a church before. The whole point of a church is to shame people into acting 'Christianly'. They don't have any other mode than shame