Funny events in anti-woke world

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So I suppose he's trying to strongarm the PM of Japan into letting return to the US to serve his sentence in a US prison. Considering the US prison system, might be better off in a Japanese prison tho. Or maybe just let the dude off once here.
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. The Japanese criminal justice system is actually terrifying.

I think the moment that clicked for me was researching the 1995 Tokyo sarin gas attack and realizing that there were actually two. Prior to the attack on the subway, the same group released sarin in a suburban neighbourhood as a test run. The reason this isn't common knowledge is that the police arrested some random guy and abused him until he falsely confessed that he accidentally caused the incident by mixing household chemicals..

When you're so determined to look like you're doing your job that you end up literally covering up a terrorist attack by white-torturing the shit out of some random guy.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. The Japanese criminal justice system is actually terrifying.

I think the moment that clicked for me was researching the 1995 Tokyo sarin gas attack and realizing that there were actually two. Prior to the attack on the subway, the same group released sarin in a suburban neighbourhood as a test run. The reason this isn't common knowledge is that the police arrested some random guy and abused him until he falsely confessed that he accidentally caused the incident by mixing household chemicals..
Right, also have a super high conviction rate because their courts assume guilt, and its up to the defendant to prove he's not guilty, which per your comment would be quite difficult. Also, tend to like sentencing to the max punishment. Which for vehicular manslaughter is 7 years. So out Lt got off fairly light already.

As for thr actual prisons, I'm not informed enough to judge aside from not knowing about a bad reputation.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Right, also have a super high conviction rate because their courts assume guilt, and its up to the defendant to prove he's not guilty, which per your comment would be quite difficult. Also, tend to like sentencing to the max punishment. Which for vehicular manslaughter is 7 years. So out Lt got off fairly light already.

As for thr actual prisons, I'm not informed enough to judge aside from not knowing about a bad reputation.
I would share Terminal Blue's doubts about the Japanese justice system. But then, I have significant reservations about the US justice system too, and my own country's.

Ultimately, countries really need to respect the sovereignty of their allies, otherwise they will end up with no allies. At the point the USA is recognising it has a huge long-term security issue with China in the Far East, does Brian Lee really plan on threatening to suspend US military co-operation with its largest regional ally over this guy? I appreciate it's just grandstanding to his voters, but how much of a complete moron would he have to be if he were serious? And if that's the case, should he really be encouraging his voters towards that sort of thinking?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They don't have that 99% conviction rate for no reason. They also tend to not prosecute cases that would be slightly difficult to prove, leaving lots of sex abuse cases by the wayside.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I would share Terminal Blue's doubts about the Japanese justice system. But then, I have significant reservations about the US justice system too, and my own country's.

Ultimately, countries really need to respect the sovereignty of their allies, otherwise they will end up with no allies. At the point the USA is recognising it has a huge long-term security issue with China in the Far East, does Brian Lee really plan on threatening to suspend US military co-operation with its largest regional ally over this guy? I appreciate it's just grandstanding to his voters, but how much of a complete moron would he have to be if he were serious? And if that's the case, should he really be encouraging his voters towards that sort of thinking?
Of course he's grandstanding. Treaties are outside of Mikey's authority to make threats about to begin with, and the US has been significantly less eager to let their dudes get away with shit since that time a couple of them raped a 12yo.

Edit: oh, apparently they do like themselves some forced penal labor in Japan, which has been likened to slave labor, but without specifics I don't know how much better or worse that would be than penal labor in a US prison.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
They don't have that 99% conviction rate for no reason. They also tend to not prosecute cases that would be slightly difficult to prove, leaving lots of sex abuse cases by the wayside.
It’s also why a defence attorney in Japan who has only ever won like, three cases, is considered just the biggest legal badass. Because if a Japanese public prosecutor loses his case he is expected to resign. So that defence lawyer isn’t just a three time winner, he’s got the scalps of three prosecutors on his wall like trophies.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It’s also why a defence attorney in Japan who has only ever won like, three cases, is considered just the biggest legal badass. Because if a Japanese public prosecutor loses his case he is expected to resign. So that defence lawyer isn’t just a three time winner, he’s got the scalps of three prosecutors on his wall like trophies.

Just enjoying the opportunity to post an Ace Attorney gif, not actually objecting to anything

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Examples then.
I probably wouldn't do that

Not because there are any real examples. Because it's like the term woke. Anything that changes in school can be classed as CRT because the definition isn't being used properly. It's so nebulous, anything can fit

Reactions: Buyetyen

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Of course he's grandstanding. Treaties are outside of Mikey's authority to make threats about to begin with, and the US has been significantly less eager to let their dudes get away with shit since that time a couple of them raped a 12yo.

Edit: oh, apparently they do like themselves some forced penal labor in Japan, which has been likened to slave labor, but without specifics I don't know how much better or worse that would be than penal labor in a US prison.
Depends, do they let the prisoners "make" a dollar an hour then charge fifteen for a phone call? I hear that makes it not slavery

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Musk will give you the most succulent blowjobs if you're a rightwing cook.
Was this meant to be 'cock' or 'crook'?

Either one works, I'm just interested in which for some reason.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I think it's got more bite than you give it credit for.

You want to call the 1619 Project "spite", but then you also need to take a long, hard look at what long formed the traditional narrative of history, because that can also be described with a wide range of pejoratives.

For instance, what words do you think we could use to describe traditional histories valorising white pioneers and little addressing the slaughter and dispossession of native Americans to make way for them?
You know I don't care about any of this. Propagating known falsehoods is not acceptable behavior, independent of context. It's even worse than the people of the past, because at least they believed their warped delusions of their own destiny. "They got to be wrong in the past, so we get to be wrong now" is dumb. And manipulative.
So, the reason you're pointing that out is because Leslie Harris, one of the academics consulted for the 1619 project, claimed that the New York Times had published this claim despite her objections. The reason she objected to this point was specifically because she felt it was an overstated point that would be used by critics to discredit the report as a whole. You know, that thing you're literally doing. Harris, by the way, is a very outspoken critic of the attempts to remove "critical race theory" (i.e. basic history that isn't deemed sufficiently patriotic) from the school curriculum.
Why do you imagine that I care what the people publishing lies this. If Harris stood by every word precisely, my opinion would be unchanged.
Is spite the sole purpose though? Its a known fact that the American revolution wasn't just prompted by lofty ideals about ''mu freedom!'' but also by great irritation among the American upper class that Britain wasn't as exited about slavery or butchering Natives as they were. The American states were well aware than independence would remove an obstacle towards seizing native lands. Its also a well known fact that most founding father were all too willing to completely abandon most of their ideals just for that sweet slavery money.

Maybe the 1619 project isn't ''spite'' but a much needed straightening of the record after Americans far too long painted their founders as a collection of perfect, benevolent marble men who totally wouldn't betray their ideals for some cash.
Yes. Yes it is. It's entirely about spite, and sets no record straight. Lies in the opposite direction don't average out to fair, that's not how it works.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Is spite the sole purpose though?
Tstorm in the past has said that he makes political decisions based on spite and believes that everyone else is equally shallow and unprincipled.
You know I don't care about any of this. Propagating known falsehoods is not acceptable behavior, independent of context. It's even worse than the people of the past, because at least they believed their warped delusions of their own destiny. "They got to be wrong in the past, so we get to be wrong now" is dumb. And manipulative.

Why do you imagine that I care what the people publishing lies this. If Harris stood by every word precisely, my opinion would be unchanged.

Yes. Yes it is. It's entirely about spite, and sets no record straight. Lies in the opposite direction don't average out to fair, that's not how it works.
The truth is not inherently fair. You're just mad that it's not coming down on the side that makes you feel the most comfortable.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Its no lies though. Its an undisputed fact that the subject of slavery was very important to the founding fathers and to the political leaders who came after them. To the point they'd rather the country self destruct into a bloody civil war than actually address it. And also to the point that the US is the only country that required slavery to be abolished by force.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ultimately, countries really need to respect the sovereignty of their allies, otherwise they will end up with no allies.
And this has been a bit of a learning curve for the US post-Cold War because before then many of the SoFAs the US had with other nations were basically the US granting itself extraterritorial rights for it's military personnel.