Funny events in anti-woke world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I would like people to be well informed, which they are not, and is theoretically the news media's reason for existing.
And yet, you want the media to shy away from warning people of genuine dangers, or accurately describing what the President said, if it could make him look bad.

Your primary concern is not accuracy. Its the Republican Party's reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
This is an interesting one.

If people are willing to put their money where their reactionary morality is, savvy entrepreneurs can exploit the culture wars by selling themselves as "anti-woke" investment vehicles. Of course, the chances are these guys are on average less competent, but they'll make a ton of money before the punters realise.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This is an interesting one.

If people are willing to put their money where their reactionary morality is, savvy entrepreneurs can exploit the culture wars by selling themselves as "anti-woke" investment vehicles. Of course, the chances are these guys are on average less competent, but they'll make a ton of money before the punters realise.
The idea has been very successful before. Though, wonder if they are treading on each others toes, ripping off the same anti-woke crowd each time.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
  1. Okay, it's a semi-automatic rifle. It still doesn't change the fact that he handled his gun irresponsible and came a state over with the intent to harm and kill, and an attempt to face no punishment. Firing into the crowd like you're some hero is not worth bragging about nor should it be considered a good thing.
  2. Yeah I don't care for your suspension of disbelief. I'm just happy not too many other people got hurt or killed. It still doesn't change the fact that he fired into a crowd of people. It didn't matter if some of them were armed, some of them weren't, or all of them were armed. He had no business being there. He didn't live in the same state, he wasn't an official cop, and he's just another delusional, madman, vigilante taking the laws into his own hands, and trying to be a hero he was not, nor never will be.
  3. This is the same man that decided to hide at his cousin's and sister's to avoid being sued. The same coward that tried to run to Tucker Carlson only for that douchebag to get fired and forget about Kyle sorry ass at the end of the day.
  4. If you're seriously defending this guy or trying to deflect his wrongness, then you can screw off for that. By the way, don't even bother responding, cuz I don't want to hear your bull crap. You're going back on my ignore list now. I'm sick of people trying to suck up, or make it up excuses for these assholes who don't care about anyone but themselves, or their dogmatic and fascist views. Cry for him all you want. See where that gets you. The man is going to face proper punishment and lose everything. He already has lost a lot, but he's too stupid to notice.
1. A person being a pedant about assualt rifle probably wouldn't accept the classification of semi-assualt rifle. But then.... The whole point is to have you say that one thing is wrong so that means your whole argument is wrong. Schadrach is doing fallacious reasoning. It's never been about 'assualt rifles'
2. I've always seen that, after the first person was shot, a bunch of people tried to stop Rittenhouse from shooting anyone again. I.e. they too were taking the law into their own hands. If anyone who supports Rittenhouse thinks he did the right thing, they better be for Rosenbaum because he was at least attacking in response to an attack. Vigilantism begets Vigilantism
3. Rittenhouse is paranoid and thought everyone is out to get him. Like most delusions this lead to someone getting hurt and now everyone is out to get him because he's that dangerous and delusionsal. He should never been allowed a gun in the first place
4. I personally do want to hear a response. It has been incredibly funny for Rittenhouse to do a circuit of Right Wing media and him becoming increasingly more uncomfortable with the totally unhinged and racist things they will say around him because they think Rittenhouse is on their side. He's realised that he's lined up with some horrible people and watching him squirm is great. Now, I don't think Schadrach will learn anything but hopefully it will be funny

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I would like people to be well informed, which they are not, and is theoretically the news media's reason for existing.
I think that's a bad assumption. News is there to make a profit, first and foremost. 'Informing people' is just the identity they take to prove their value

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
2. I've always seen that, after the first person was shot, a bunch of people tried to stop Rittenhouse from shooting anyone again. I.e. they too were taking the law into their own hands. If anyone who supports Rittenhouse thinks he did the right thing, they better be for Rosenbaum because he was at least attacking in response to an attack. Vigilantism begets Vigilantism
The protesters were at least protecting themselves and other around them. Rittenhouse wasn't protecting anyone, but his own ego and "glory".

3. Rittenhouse is paranoid and thought everyone is out to get him. Like most delusions this lead to someone getting hurt and now everyone is out to get him because he's that dangerous and delusionsal.
He brought it all on himself and painted a giant red x all over his body. His fair-weathered "friends/fans" dropped his ass after trying to suck up to BLM. They don't give a shit about him. Whatever hardcore supporters he still has don't amount to much, and will forget about him.

It has been incredibly funny for Rittenhouse to do a circuit of Right Wing media and him becoming increasingly more uncomfortable with the totally unhinged and racist things they will say around him because they think Rittenhouse is on their side.
Rittenhouse kept attending NRA or Conservative rallies to keep his meal ticket, but became less successful each time, with most of them not caring or already losing interests. Rittenhouse knew what he was doing, but the prideful idiot didn't know when to quit, nor keep his mouth shout. Consequences happened are still happening.

He's realised that he's lined up with some horrible people and watching him squirm is great.
Yes.

Now, I don't think Schadrach will learn anything but hopefully it will be funny
Sucks to be him, and it is why exactly I have him on ignore.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
4. I personally do want to hear a response. It has been incredibly funny for Rittenhouse to do a circuit of Right Wing media and him becoming increasingly more uncomfortable with the totally unhinged and racist things they will say around him because they think Rittenhouse is on their side. He's realised that he's lined up with some horrible people and watching him squirm is great.
I'm a little surprised that he is unhappy with those people, and not chugging the kool-aid like he's dying of thirst.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It's funny, and radically right-wing how the average person aged 18 to 55 thinks driving down roads from the 'free' suburbs to the city is safer than riding high-speed rail through a town. Yes, crime is bad, and there is more crime in cities due to more people being there. But there are ways to counter that when you're young. Ride near the front of the train car. Whereas if you have a car you are dodging semi-trucks and other cars, and every time you drive you roll a chance of a collision. Does that mean you should be in a city when you are older, No you shouldn't, since you are an easy target for faster people. Again I prefer townhouses, but I would 100% live in Tokyo if I could get a remote position versus the American Virginia Suburbs one of the richest places on Earth.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
1. A person being a pedant about assualt rifle...
The point of firearm terminology pedantry (see also for instance magazine / clip) is not to contribute anything useful to debate, it's just a sort of rhetorical tactic to present other people as stupid. The basic logic is that not knowing the precise mechanics and terminology of guns implicitly disqualifies people from complaining about their fellow citizens being shot.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The point of firearm terminology pedantry (see also for instance magazine / clip) is not to contribute anything useful to debate, it's just a sort of rhetorical tactic to present other people as stupid. The basic logic is that not knowing the precise mechanics and terminology of guns implicitly disqualifies people from complaining about their fellow citizens being shot.
"Sure, forty-eight people died, but the media got the rifle's caliber wrong so really they're the problem."

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

So property taxes are something I hate, but can't find a good replacement for(other than the land-value tax which is a political non-starter for homeowners who love to vote, and screw others out of getting apartments near them). The reason is that sales taxes are regressive, hurt the poor more, hurt small businesses an startups more, and will force people to save/hoard money vs. spending money which creates consumption, an incentive for investment, and innovation. Progressive Income taxes attack upper-middle class people(Your high-powered lawyers, doctors, etc.) more but don't touch the investor class as much, and are pretty bad at taxing those who used more services like the rich, but get stock options. Progressive VAT taxes is better than a sales tax, but you destroy the incentive to consume things like high power computers, and so fore which too kill innovation.

The tax that Hasan got hit with, is beyond parody. If you bring more than X amount of computers, phones, and cameras, you get hit with a tax. Why would you want to do that??? That tax basically penalizes digitally dynamic people in favor of older less productive people who use fewer computers, phones, and what have you. And if I am rich I basically just bring in a few assistants with two computers and 2 phones each, and there is no tax. Upper-middle-class taxes are pretty dumb in that regard, Why would you want to attack IT professionals, streamers, and so forth? IT professionals made your country more dynamic via better IT. Streamers are basically free marketing. Plus if I bring in two computers, and I have both stolen from me, I can't do business in your country, and you can't get positive effects from me doing IT, or marketing operations in your country.

It's a dumb tax, and it's no surprise coming from AMLO who thinks he's smarter than actual economists, experts, human rights activists, students, and so fore.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Somewhat disagree with that. Now, yes, it very often is, perhaps even overwhelmingly so. But if there's discussion of what should be done, sometimes there's talk about laws that restrict X, Y or Z, while still allowing A, B or C. Consistent terminology there becomes important. At least in theory.

(As an aside, while clips and magazines are technically two different things, official US military training materials were occasionally using the word clip to mean magazine at least as early as the 40s. Not while talking about firearms per se, but in a film about surviving a forced landing in the Arctic, and listing gear that should be carried for emergencies, which included a handgun and 2 clips)

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

So property taxes are something I hate, but can't find a good replacement for(other than the land-value tax which is a political non-starter for homeowners who love to vote, and screw others out of getting apartments near them). The reason is that sales taxes are regressive, hurt the poor more, hurt small businesses an startups more, and will force people to save/hoard money vs. spending money which creates consumption, an incentive for investment, and innovation. Progressive Income taxes attack upper-middle class people(Your high-powered lawyers, doctors, etc.) more but don't touch the investor class as much, and are pretty bad at taxing those who used more services like the rich, but get stock options. Progressive VAT taxes is better than a sales tax, but you destroy the incentive to consume things like high power computers, and so fore which too kill innovation.

The tax that Hasan got hit with, is beyond parody. If you bring more than X amount of computers, phones, and cameras, you get hit with a tax. Why would you want to do that??? That tax basically penalizes digitally dynamic people in favor of older less productive people who use fewer computers, phones, and what have you. And if I am rich I basically just bring in a few assistants with two computers and 2 phones each, and there is no tax. Upper-middle-class taxes are pretty dumb in that regard, Why would you want to attack IT professionals, streamers, and so forth? IT professionals made your country more dynamic via better IT. Streamers are basically free marketing. Plus if I bring in two computers, and I have both stolen from me, I can't do business in your country, and you can't get positive effects from me doing IT, or marketing operations in your country.

It's a dumb tax, and it's no surprise coming from AMLO who thinks he's smarter than actual economists, experts, human rights activists, students, and so fore.

From hearing his explanation about it on vid, seems to have concluded the way it was handled might've been one of various shakedown tactics employed.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The tax that Hasan got hit with, is beyond parody.
You are allowed to bring to Mexico:

Two cameras or camcorders and camera gear; three cellphones or other wireless devices; one GPS; one electronic organizer; one laptop, notebook, omnibook or other portable computing device; one portable copier or printer; one CD burner and one portable overhead projector and its accessories.
So, the first thing I would ask, is what kind of fucking idiot doesn't check the law when they go to another country? I mean, it's basic common sense to do so.

Secondly... why does anyone need to bring more electronics than that? Outside certain business requirements, that looks like a pretty generous allowance that should fulfil the vast majority of people's needs. And lord knows, if you really need a fourth mobile phone or second laptop, you can buy one in Mexico.

Thirdly, the reason these restrictions exist is so that people don't carry in loads of stuff for "personal use" and promptly sell it. Because having a nice, relaxed system for the convenience of the 32 people annually who for some reason need four mobile phones and two laptops when they travel means literally every smuggler who crosses the border gets to use that allowance to undermine local businesses and the tax regime.

The final possibility is that this is the not unknown tactic of creative fining by Mexican officials. The guidebooks all warn you that if, as a foreigner, a policeman stops you and demands a few hundred-thousand pesos for some dubious alleged infraction, you'd do better to save yourself the hassle, pop to a cash machine, and pay them.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
You are allowed to bring to Mexico:

So, the first thing I would ask, is what kind of fucking idiot doesn't check the law when they go to another country? I mean, it's basic common sense to do so.

Secondly... why does anyone need to bring more electronics than that? Outside certain business requirements, that looks like a pretty generous allowance that should fulfil the vast majority of people's needs. And lord knows, if you really need a fourth mobile phone or second laptop, you can buy one in Mexico.

Thirdly, the reason these restrictions exist is so that people don't carry in loads of stuff for "personal use" and promptly sell it. Because having a nice, relaxed system for the convenience of the 32 people annually who for some reason need four mobile phones and two laptops when they travel means literally every smuggler who crosses the border gets to use that allowance to undermine local businesses and the tax regime.

The final possibility is that this is the not unknown tactic of creative fining by Mexican officials. The guidebooks all warn you that if, as a foreigner, a policeman stops you and demands a few hundred-thousand pesos for some dubious alleged infraction, you'd do better to save yourself the hassle, pop to a cash machine, and pay them.
Yes, all of that is true, but do you not see why some people may not want to visit Mexico given this random regulation? If you want more people to buy electronics in Mexican shops, make the tariffs less for said shops.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Loads of people, unfortunately. Though I could see people tripping over some obscure law they forgot to check, something like what you can take over the border is a biggie. 2 months ago Gigi Hadid was arrested in the Cayman Islands for bringing in marijuana. Legally purchased for medical reasons where she departed from, is legal to have in the Caymans, apparently somehow forgot to check if it was legal to take from one to the other and got $1k fine.

Supposedly it's common amongst people from countries that assume everyone else is, or should be, just like them. But that could just be people's prejudices against those countries talking.

This.