Last edited:
Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Dan Harmon's upcoming new series Krapopolis will be backed by a dedicated NFT marketplace. Owning show NFTs will confer the right to vote on the direction of the show, and name characters.

And so continues the breakneck-speed decline of a creator I used to like (competing with Graham Linehan for quickest loss of all respect). Fucking scams. There's not a single reason you need the blockchain to implement this voting idea, and "Web3" isn't a fucking thing, except in the minds of charlatans and the gullible they prey on.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
1. A person being a pedant about assualt rifle probably wouldn't accept the classification of semi-assualt rifle. But then.... The whole point is to have you say that one thing is wrong so that means your whole argument is wrong. Schadrach is doing fallacious reasoning. It's never been about 'assualt rifles'
"Semi-assault rifle" is also not an accurate description (and isn't a thing at all), but BrawlMan's semi-automatic rifle is an accurate description of the kind of firearm in question (modern sporting rifle, modular rifle, or even modular sporting rifle [despite not being technically the right jargon] would also be accurate enough). And it's an important distinction because people keep trying to equate the two, specifically with the goal of heavily restricting one based on the other.

Imagine I told you that more people were killed with swords in the US in a year than rifles. You'd balk at the idea, and you'd be right to, and you'd likely call me out on my bullshit when I said that by "sword" I meant all bladed implements, and it is in fact true that more people are killed in the US each year with blades than with rifles.

2. I've always seen that, after the first person was shot, a bunch of people tried to stop Rittenhouse from shooting anyone again. I.e. they too were taking the law into their own hands. If anyone who supports Rittenhouse thinks he did the right thing, they better be for Rosenbaum because he was at least attacking in response to an attack. Vigilantism begets Vigilantism
No, Rosenbaum was the one that started the confrontation with Rittenhouse, then chased him down and tried to take his gun when Rittenhouse tried to flee. He was the first one shot (4 shots in quick succession). I'd actually be with you along those lines for Grosskreutz, if his testimony had been a bit different (and his civil suit is going to hinge entirely on reinterpreting or ignoring his testimony in the criminal trial coupled with a lower standard of evidence in civil trials). For Huber, I'd have to look into WI law if there's a case for "defense of others" like there is for self defense, but even then at that point Rittenhouse was attempting to flee to the police line by all accounts so it would be a stretch and the devil would be in the details if a jury would consider it "reasonable", but he might have had a shot.

4. I personally do want to hear a response. It has been incredibly funny for Rittenhouse to do a circuit of Right Wing media and him becoming increasingly more uncomfortable with the totally unhinged and racist things they will say around him because they think Rittenhouse is on their side. He's realised that he's lined up with some horrible people and watching him squirm is great. Now, I don't think Schadrach will learn anything but hopefully it will be funny
Who supports you afterward does not determine in any way if what happened was self defense or not. Full stop.

It's exactly as relevant as Rosenbaum turning out to have been a convicted pedophile, or that Grosskreutz was in possession of his firearm illegally (because he's a convicted felon and thus barred from possessing a firearm by federal law). Rittenhouse's defense actually wanted to bring up the convicted pedophile thing at trial and was blocked from doing so because it might improperly bias the jury - their argument was that it was relevant because Rosenbaum was legally barred from possessing a firearm as a consequence and they claimed it provided additional motive for why he might pursue Rittenhouse and try to take his gun (and his grabbing for Rittenhouse's gun when Rittenhouse shot him was kind of a key point in the defense).

It's funny, and radically right-wing how the average person aged 18 to 55 thinks driving down roads from the 'free' suburbs to the city is safer than riding high-speed rail through a town.
Driving is statistically the most dangerous thing people routinely do. It's why truck driver is one of the most risky jobs you can have.

Yes, crime is bad, and there is more crime in cities due to more people being there. But there are ways to counter that when you're young. Ride near the front of the train car. Whereas if you have a car you are dodging semi-trucks and other cars, and every time you drive you roll a chance of a collision. Does that mean you should be in a city when you are older, No you shouldn't, since you are an easy target for faster people. Again I prefer townhouses, but I would 100% live in Tokyo if I could get a remote position versus the American Virginia Suburbs one of the richest places on Earth.
That said, as a general rule when you are driving you aren't worried about actively hostile persons trying to predate on you (however much a minority they are), which effects the perception of danger rather than actual danger.

Also, in a lot of these rural small town sorts of places, traffic is pretty chill which reduces the risk some (biggest risk when driving is other drivers, unless you live around here where they might be 2nd place to deer depending on exactly where you are going and what time of year). Even the worst traffic in the largest city in my state is basically nothing compared to even off hours in a "real" big city.

I get that the evidence presented convinced a jury of his peers he was not guilty of an offence. Sure, whatever, due process was served. He’s a free man but I will never not think he’s a fucking idiot.
Not going to disagree that he's an idiot. Am going to disagree when people argue it wasn't self defense or describe what he did as "shooting into a crowd" - anyone who paid attention to the trial should know better.

Like if I’d shown up to the Cronulla Riots back in the 2000s from Melbourne with a weapon
That's a decidedly different scale of travel. Anything a similar distance from the Cronulla Riots is still going to be in NSW though, which doesn't fit as well with your analogy. Kenosha, WI is close to the state line and Antioch, IL is close to the state line on the other side, to the point that Rittenhouse worked in WI and drove past Kenosha on his commute.

To use an AU example of the kind of distance we're talking, it'd be closer to saying you came from somewhere like Helensbourgh and showed up at the Cronulla Riots, except according to Google Maps Helensbourgh is twice as long a drive from Sydney as Antioch is from Kenosha.

Am not American, but I see teenage boys all the time and none dress like that here when they're casshin about, even in the current environment of country folk on hot days. That's like a very specific look, a free-range curiosity to see in the wild.
It's literally the "I'm either too wealthy or stuck up to dress like a commoner" version of a t-shirt and shorts.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
There's not a single reason you need the blockchain to implement this voting idea
Other than ease of monetization and ease of transferring voting power to someone else.

I'm guessing Harmon or someone on his team who promoted the idea owns some of whichever crypto these NFTs are going to be implemented on the chain of? Because that has been the main function of NFTs - to pump the price of Ethereum which is what most NFTs are implemented on. It's like the internet bullshit version of the petrodollar.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Imagine I told you that more people were killed with swords in the US in a year than rifles. You'd balk at the idea, and you'd be right to, and you'd likely call me out on my bullshit when I said that by "sword" I meant all bladed implements, and it is in fact true that more people are killed in the US each year with blades than with rifles.
Right, except there's about a dozen reasons that situation is different.

Swords are a rarely-used, archaic weapon, which is why we'd balk. Meanwhile, knives have dozens of essential uses outside of violence, which is precisely why their purchase and ownership is so difficult or unwise to restrict in the same way.

None of this applies to guns. I don't see why someone needs to know the terminology or technical differences between the types of death-dealing weaponry in order to be against wide public ownership of death-dealing weaponry. Do I need to know the chemical compositions of sarin or mustard gas in order to be against people being able to easily acquire them? Fuck no.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Shocker of shocks, Alex Jones is refusing to pay one red cent to the Sandy Hook families, and is spending something absurd like $850 a week on meals. Guess that whole "I'm broke and bankrupt" thing wasn't exactly true.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Shocker of shocks, Alex Jones is refusing to pay one red cent to the Sandy Hook families, and is spending something absurd like $850 a week on meals. Guess that whole "I'm broke and bankrupt" thing wasn't exactly true.
Well, he's definitely morally bankrupt. He thinks the law doesn't apply to him because he's "just telling the truth".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

That's three meals a day at $40 a meal. Does he exclusively eat tavern appetizers and hot wings?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
There are some assholes who really need to shut the fuck up. If it happened to him, or someone he gave a shit about, he would be begging on his knees for sympathy. Get rid of this fuckhead and several of his buddies.
His job literally only requires a high school degree, or a four-year degree for criminal justice one of the easiest majors ever. Also pretty marketable given what times we are in, that grad student has fifty times the value as this police officer.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
When weebs are the worst advocates for their favorite hobby.

Emily Rudd is both a beautiful and an excellent actress. But objectifying fictional characters is based as long as it's not an obsession, and the fictional character isn't child-size.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

The real underlying point here is not specifically Alex Jones, but how the rich generally are adept at evading the consequences of their misconduct.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The real underlying point here is not specifically Alex Jones, but how the rich generally are adept at evading the consequences of their misconduct.
I don't get why anyone thought he'd pay a cent. Sure a judgement against him, yeah. He's spent the last decade moving everything into off shore bank accounts and shell companies owned by his "friends". Dude probably doesn't have a penny to his name, and everything is from "friends" and "family".

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I don't get why anyone thought he'd pay a cent. Sure a judgement against him, yeah. He's spent the last decade moving everything into off shore bank accounts and shell companies owned by his "friends". Dude probably doesn't have a penny to his name, and everything is from "friends" and "family".
I live in some vague hope that eventually enough the populace will take note of this, and demand changes from their lawmakers to prevent this sort of thing.

See also: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/15/tragedy-modern-britain-piers-morgan-playbook

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I live in some vague hope that eventually enough the populace will take note of this, and demand changes from their lawmakers to prevent this sort of thing.

See also: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/15/tragedy-modern-britain-piers-morgan-playbook
Well remember what happened when we did? When the Panama Papers came out, and it turned out yes, the millionaire class really did have secret bank accounts in Island nations to prevent taxes and hide their assets, and everyone from Emma Watson to Obama, Trump, even the Pope was shown to have secret accounts? Remember the response?
Well the journalist who published the papers died in a car explosion, in what was absolutely 100000% not an air strike. And the Maltese government said "Boy howdy that sure was loud. Anyway..." and even the Pope wrote her family a letter telling them to stop asking questions.
Yeah I'm sure accountability is coming. I'm sure the ruling class that owns the courts, the media, and the drones will totally let us mook loser people have our way.

Reactions: Bedinsis

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Sorry, lady, but Bobert- like all Republicans- only gives a fuck about your unborn baby when it provides a route to control your life.

(And, naturally, Bobert pulled a "do you know who I am". Champion of the little people, right there.)