Funny events in anti-woke world

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's not that complex: tstorm wants Anne Frank: The Story Book Character, not Anne Frank: The Real Human Girl.

Tragedy hurts less when it's done to a story book character, and it's messing up the "lgbt people are degenerate and children shouldn't be exposed to them" vibes he likes using for other media

Because it's all about "what the narrative is teaching children" and how this, somehow, distracts from that. Though I, personally, can't fathom how mundane events in Anne Franks' life distract from why we teach this book. Unless he thinks somebody having a random queer thought makes their death by Nazis less tragic

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
When the content is a young girl's sexual thoughts that she personally decided was not for public consumption, not illustrating it seems to me rational and justifiable.
Just so we're clear here, Anne Frank did not agree to have any of her diary made available for public consumption.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
When the content is a young girl's sexual thoughts that she personally decided was not for public consumption, not illustrating it seems to me rational and justifiable.
You keep pursuing this point even though it's been pointed out the motivation for that removal is an unknown quantity.

She knew she was writing a book at the editing stage. She wanted to be a successful author, which means playing by the standards of the time.

Stop acting like the removal was her deeming the content as unsuitable for her story, it is an unknown quantity.

As said before, she may have removed it for personal reasons or in the pursuit of publication and success. Or both, or neither.

Your views do not default to being correct.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's not that complex: tstorm wants Anne Frank: The Story Book Character, not Anne Frank: The Real Human Girl.

Tragedy hurts less when it's done to a story book character, and it's messing up the "lgbt people are degenerate and children shouldn't be exposed to them" vibes he likes using for other media

Because it's all about "what the narrative is teaching children" and how this, somehow, distracts from that. Though I, personally, can't fathom how mundane events in Anne Franks' life distract from why we teach this book. Unless he thinks somebody having a random queer thought makes their death by Nazis less tragic
Again, narcissism.

Someone being gay can't just be a regular thing that some people are, it's an attack on their values. One small reference to Anne Frank having a crush on a girl can't just be a mundane every day thing, it's "shoved down our throats" and "plastering sexual content over history".

It's people telling on themselves, that the mere existence of it is offensive. Even when it's historically accurate, even when it's pretty much word for word, it should not be allowed because gay.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I don't think it's unidirectional. Fundamentally, one must experience the way other people think and feel to gain information from which to develop understanding. But understanding gained can then be applied back into deeper appreciation of how other people think and feel.
Actually being able to try and understand others views and the lessening of what's known as egocentrism generally happens in the concrete operational stage of development around ages 7 - 11 normally assuming not developmental issues and the child isn't a sociopath or psychopath. To be clear this is based on Piaget's theory while it could be argued under Vygotsky's theories that presenting and helping students do this does also improve their abilities in it so is good as even from almost no ability in it there is potential for development.

If one wishes to tell the world about Anne Frank, removing a significant chunk of the available information about her necessarily limits what someone will know about her. Part of the issue with Anne Frank's diary being so heavily edited for publication is that it inherently created an more unrealistic view of Anne Frank. Is that healthy? Do

There can certainly be a reason to select information - obviously, if one wishes to illustrate a specific point, removing irrelevant information tends to be good practice - but that should be a rational and justifiable decision.
Is her trying to get a friend to touch her boobs a significant chunk of the information on her really?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Whatever other responses you have Dwarvenhobble, I am not wasting time on, because it's your usual nonsense, no evidence, bullshit. Have fun dealing with your usual insecurities, rage issues, and being the loyal attack dog for the Far Right, who will never get paid for it. Deal with the copium.
And he's outta here once again folks without managing to make a single cogent argument or salient point. Once again declaring how he's done with me.

See you again in 2 weeks or less in the side-lines taking shots again just like last time when you emotionally knee jerk out a post that's mostly ad hominem in response to something I've said you disagree with.

As for being done with me

You won't be because you want to feel like the hero still and have chosen me as your villain lol. That's why you have to falsely claim I'm some far right attack dog because you need to paint me as some truly villainous thing otherwise you'd have to accept reality and realise you're not the hero and I'm far from the villain you seem to wish me to be.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Is her trying to get a friend to touch her boobs a significant chunk of the information on her really?
That's what you make of it, hypocrite. You could argue that about every little vignette of her everyday life (she had a chocolate is it IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO FEATURE IN THE BOOK), and your stupid argument about "distracting the readers" could also apply of a multitude of things (that teacher brought a book where a pokemon is mentioned, FIRE HIM FROM THE SCHOOL). But these are all sordid excuses. You're the ones trying to go all moral panicky in order to fuel your ultraconservative censorship spree.

"What is really necessary" only means "what is really necessary to bother me so much". And no it isn't "necessary". What is necessary is to not give a shit about bothering you so much or about you pretending to be bothered so much and seeking to be bothered so much. It is innocuous, and letting or not little talibans of your ilk shape culture (book after book, poem after poem, pretext after pretext) through stupid overbloated outrage like that is, we all know it, the actual important stake here.

When you're down to "okay but was that panel absolutely necessary", in order to justify how absolutely necessary it was to ban a book and fire a teacher, you invert the attribution of importance, and you reveal how little it has in proportion of your nasty gang's actions.

You're absolutely hideous, intellectually dishonest trolls.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Actually being able to try and understand others views and the lessening of what's known as egocentrism generally happens in the concrete operational stage of development around ages 7 - 11 normally assuming not developmental issues and the child isn't a sociopath or psychopath.
Did... did you stop being able to understand others' views after the age of 11?

Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
1) I'm quite indifferent to what/who people were in their distant past.
Depends on the past in question, but if they're still acting like douchebags/assholes with a different occupation, but I won't be feeling indifference.

2) I don't see much contradiction between conservatism and prostitution. It's the same universe, in more ways than one.
She's still a hypocritical idiot and fucked up. Good for her, and it is hilarious seeing karma catch up to assholes in power.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Did... did you stop being able to understand others' views after the age of 11?
Nope hence why I've been able to predict exactly the arguments people will use and pre-emptively answer them sometimes then quote the post I already countered their argument.

I do see a lot of people seemingly unable to put themselves in others positions here despite people helping by outlining them though. Weird to see how it descends into some weird conspiratorial thing about fascists wanting to hide the Nazis actions by saying a school teacher can't use a specific graphic novel as a source for class due to the content of it. Which again as I said a good teacher should have been using it as a resource and hanging out handouts with the relevant bits on there if it's a history class (as I strongly suspect it was). If it was another class I'd have more of an issue with this decision but a history class. Who Ann Frank was attracted to is about as irrelevant to the overall lessons of WWII as Churchill's comments on the Buckingham Palace guard caught having gay sex up a London park.

Sorry I was assuming this was petty shot rather than a misunderstanding of the psychology, it it's the later please feel free to say

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Dude, they're kids. These are awkward attempts at exploring new feelings, not deliberate attempts at emotional blackmail.
You seem to be suffering under the delusion that children aren't horrible people.
I don't need to justify it.
If you want to defend it as required reading, you absolutely do. The story that started this was this version of Anne Frank's diary being assigned reading.
But hey, here's a justification; it humanizes her. Instead of Anne Frank the symbol of the Nazi persecution of the Jewish people, we get to see a bit of Anne Frank the girl who has a crush on another girl.
We've circled back to the idea that only sex can humanize her. Why are her hobbies, her family interactions, her fears, her dreams, etc. insufficient to humanize her. Why is a memory of a prepubescent sexual interaction important in relating to her?
Just so we're clear here, Anne Frank did not agree to have any of her diary made available for public consumption.
"Dearest Kitty....
You've known for a long time that my greatest wish is to be a journalist, and later on, a famous writer. We'll have to wait and see if these grand illusions (or delusions!) will ever come true, but up to now I've had no lack of topics. In any case, after the war I'd like to publish a book called The Secret Annex. It remains to be seen whether I'll succeed, but my diary can serve as the basis."

I'm sure you'll nitpick this, but she wrote in the diary that she'd like to write a book based on her diary. And 9 days later, she started to rewrite her earlier diary entries. I'm pretty sure that written approval holds up in court. Has anyone else actually read The Diary of Anne Frank?
You keep pursuing this point even though it's been pointed out the motivation for that removal is an unknown quantity.

She knew she was writing a book at the editing stage. She wanted to be a successful author, which means playing by the standards of the time.

Stop acting like the removal was her deeming the content as unsuitable for her story, it is an unknown quantity.

As said before, she may have removed it for personal reasons or in the pursuit of publication and success. Or both, or neither.

Your views do not default to being correct.
You're not disputing that she decided not to include it. It doesn't matter why she made that decision, that's a distinction without a difference. If you were disputing that she planned on publishing the content, there'd be a difference, and again, none of it should have been published in that case. But if we agree that she was editing her writing in preparation for publishing it as a book, and she decided not to include some content in that version, then she made the editorial decision that the content should not be published. Whatever more specific reason is irrelevant.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
A - You keep using the word want, evoking an image of a young girl wanting to protect her privacy

B - This conviction is flimsy as shit, because you have no issues with the rest of the edit that the frankensteined book consists of. You're only interested in holding to her edit, when it removes sexuality from the final piece.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You seem to be suffering under the delusion that children aren't horrible people.
Okay, and? You have proof that this was some such situation how? And even if it was, if it happened it happened.

If you want to defend it as required reading, you absolutely do. The story that started this was this version of Anne Frank's diary being assigned reading.
Because it happened. It's part of the story she wrote down. Other than that you're taking about "defending" the inclusion of a teen girls awkward interaction with a friend. There's no need to justify the inclusion of a fact.

We've circled back to the idea that only sex can humanize her. Why are her hobbies, her family interactions, her fears, her dreams, etc. insufficient to humanize her. Why is a memory of a prepubescent sexual interaction important in relating to her?
Why is it important to not have it there? Unless you think it's a big deal, and something teens shouldn't be exposed to (again, nothing sexual even happens), this is just as mundane a thing as her having hobbies and interacting with her family. It'd be just as ridiculous to claim we shouldn't have a specific scene of her being with her family because. Only because it's sexual, only because it's gay should it not be there in the eyes of conservatives, because they can't tolerate that being sexual and being gay is a normal everyday thing. And by the way, these same teens for whom it was required reading would also be exposed to the fact that Anne Frank got killed in a concentration camp (along with millions of other Jewish people). I think they'd be far less hung up on two panels of awkward teen sexuality in the face of that. Unless ofcourse they're raised by warped conservatives who go apeshit over the most meager of sexual representations in books, or gay penguins.