Funny events in anti-woke world

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
You forget a key fact in this case though

They're white. Therefore it's not terrorism! This is just boys being boys.
Normally I'm all in on the "lol, lmao" meme posting, but there's something about a military psyops officer who sounds like a bad cartoon villain running a domestic paramilitary terrorist group that has me more on edge than normal.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Normally I'm all in on the "lol, lmao" meme posting, but there's something about a military psyops officer who sounds like a bad cartoon villain running a domestic paramilitary terrorist group that has me more on edge than normal.

True but if I don't laugh, all I have left is to cry...

...and maybe buy a gun.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Well I'll be damned, they actually had to define it

That is indeed the epitome of the thread title.

Likely that someone may have posted this already, but it made me chuckle. Googled the guy, I don't think it's satire. As a guy working in tech, the likening of agile development to marriage life kills me.
What is 'agile development' and why do I hate it already?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Basically it's how almost all software is being developed these days (sadly, even games apparently).

I might be butchering this explanation, but agile development is composed of small bursts of development called sprints. You aim to accomplish all you can in a sprint, present what you have to the client, get feedback, then get to work on another sprint based on feedback.

In theory, the thought of getting feedback and working on it in a relationship isn't so bad. But treating your partner as a client is... fucking stupid. Loving someone shouldn't need a framework.

EDIT: I should add that agile may have some negative connotations because often times, products are launched before they ready. See 85% of games released in 2022. The idea is to dump out whatever they have and fix the issues in the next sprint.

The equivalent in marriage would be half assing your anniversary celebration and promising to do better next year, now that you "know better".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwak

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
It is a method of organizing software development. Bob basically has it correct.

It has a couple of nice things. Basically it relies on dividing the work in small clearly defined tasks that can be done in one sprint and testing each of those tasks separately. It comes with regularly scheduled feedback and review. It also defines different roles for all the people involved in development, trying to make sure there is no conflict of interest in the managing, testing and feedback cycle. It also has people explicitly tasked with keeping an eye on changing consumer expectations.

Generally it was developed because software development often failed because one of those things happen :
- New ideas and requirements come in on a daily basis and get included in a project that was never meant for it, resulting in an incoherent, bug prone and utterly inefficient mess that no one understands.
- Requirements get laid down at the start of the project but don't get adapted when something doesn't work or when the environment changes.
- Task descriptions remain too vague and no one actually makes the important decisions about how it should work. Developers stick to what is easy to do and in the end nothing works together.

So, agile development sure has a lot of uses. Unfortunately that was before the business consulting industry got a hold of it and and included it and its terms into their repertoire of cool keywords to be applied whimsically to whatever.

They probably should have used a more boring name to avoid that.

Reactions: Kwak

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Oh, you are right. Trump did something stupid again over the weekend.

He didn't even say why he wanted to do that and what parts of the constitution get in his way or if any do at all. It is just for pure escalation. Getting rid of it as a big "I really mean it" statement.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I assume we are skipping the news that Trump wants to scrap the constitution because he's still butt hurt over 2020
I wasn't sure if we'd already brought it up, made the same jokes about GOP hypocrisy and moved on. He's done an excellent job of normalising that sort of thing.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Basically it's how almost all software is being developed these days (sadly, even games apparently).

I might be butchering this explanation, but agile development is composed of small bursts of development called sprints. You aim to accomplish all you can in a sprint, present what you have to the client, get feedback, then get to work on another sprint based on feedback.

In theory, the thought of getting feedback and working on it in a relationship isn't so bad. But treating your partner as a client is... fucking stupid. Loving someone shouldn't need a framework.

EDIT: I should add that agile may have some negative connotations because often times, products are launched before they ready. See 85% of games released in 2022. The idea is to dump out whatever they have and fix the issues in the next sprint.

The equivalent in marriage would be half assing your anniversary celebration and promising to do better next year, now that you "know better".
Well relationships need work and sometimes that involves some kind of mutually agreed upon framework: even if its just basic shit like who cleans the cat litter and who does tonight's meal. But at the risk of sounding like a greeting card, relationship frameworks aren't houses: like no amount of right angles is gonna solve the problem of one partner being a selfish asshole.

Christ I can't even remember where I was taking this. TL;DR, the business guy is dopey fuck.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Diversity's a gift.
If you believe this, why are you ok with sorting people out into different groups? The embrace of these sex and gender identity groups has not led to groups of people with diverse feelings, it has led to increased self-selected segregation.