Funny events in anti-woke world

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I like how the article was like "a law enforcement official told us this...it's like the time a military officer told us this, but that time was a lie"

Like, c'mon guys, you aren't even trying

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It's perfectly plausible that there are people who both attended rallies in support of Antifa and also supported Donald Trump. Let's face it, there are a lot of people out there who are ideologically incoherent and inconsistent, or otherwise have certain strong and eccentric views which may cause radical shifts in apparent allegiance depending on who they perceive best reflects them.

I can also believe that people associated with Antifa did indeed attend and blend in at the Capitol riot as an element of "spying" on their assumed opponents. What I don't think has any credibility is that people associated with Antifa had any meaningful impact on the riot, no matter how much the US right tries to hammer the idea.
In addition to these plausible explanations, it's also plausible some people are just in it for the riot, and would attend both without any ideological attachment to either.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's perfectly plausible that there are people who both attended rallies in support of Antifa and also supported Donald Trump. Let's face it, there are a lot of people out there who are ideologically incoherent and inconsistent, or otherwise have certain strong and eccentric views which may cause radical shifts in apparent allegiance depending on who they perceive best reflects them.

I can also believe that people associated with Antifa did indeed attend and blend in at the Capitol riot as an element of "spying" on their assumed opponents. What I don't think has any credibility is that people associated with Antifa had any meaningful impact on the riot, no matter how much the US right tries to hammer the idea.
True.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

You can hold heterodox political views, I posit to you that that's way more normal than dogmatic belief in one side exclusively. I don't even think anyone really is that way anyways, some just lie and pretend they are.

A ton of Obama voters voted for Trump, this has been documented. Florida went for Obama before. There wasn't some crazy conservatization of America during his presidency.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Toots and prayer, toots and prayer, moving on

But remember: The greatest danger to American children isn't a glut of military-quality firearms; it's "woke ideology". Because wouldn't you rather see your children bleed out miserably in the schoolyard than live thinking that slaves weren't happy?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
But remember: The greatest danger to American children isn't a glut of military-quality firearms; it's "woke ideology". Because wouldn't you rather see your children bleed out miserably in the schoolyard than live thinking that slaves weren't happy?
The right are already blaming this on the shooter being trans. After several shootings where they've just lied about it they finally got one. Now they can use rules that do not apply to all the cis-het men who commit shootings to make all trans people targets of suspicion.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The right are already blaming this on the shooter being trans. After several shootings where they've just lied about it they finally got one. Now they can use rules that do not apply to all the cis-het men who commit shootings to make all trans people targets of suspicion.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Oooh, thought it was weird for there to be a girl shooter, this explains it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It is certainly unusual to have a female shooter (not unheard of, but extremely rare), but I doubt if her being trans explains it. How many transwomen do things like this?

Last edited:

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I wonder if conservatives will go "one of us gooble gobble" or "what a freak, we should forbid all sexual identities linked to school shootings". In addition to going "society clearly requires more guns", of course.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Because they weren't female. That's the explanation.
I mean, there's probably something to that. Unless one wants to try and make some ridiculous argument that specifically American men are genetically predisposed to shooting children, there is definitely a fault of culture at play. Women and men are subject to different forces and pressure in the culture we have, and someone being subjected to the forces aimed at men, for whatever reason, may very well reach nearly male-exclusive conclusions.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Unless one wants to try and make some ridiculous argument that specifically American men are genetically predisposed to shooting children, there is definitely a fault of culture at play.
People who don't want their culture evaluated will often mumble and imply its a genetic thing without stating it, because that would obviously be absurd and abhorrent.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I mean, there's probably something to that. Unless one wants to try and make some ridiculous argument that specifically American men are genetically predisposed to shooting children, there is definitely a fault of culture at play. Women and men are subject to different forces and pressure in the culture we have, and someone being subjected to the forces aimed at men, for whatever reason, may very well reach nearly male-exclusive conclusions.
I actually agree with that. Gender, as performance and assigned values, is quite independant from sex, which is its own complex thingy, and all combinations occure. The only trap is mono-causality, and it's very seductive for its great offering in terms of "oooh i understand everything" feeling for minimal data input, study and thought process (we function on brain economy above all).

Murders by women do happen, just like domestic violence by women, rapes by women, etc. They're "merely" largely more rare than male violence. But they can be driven by many things, from the generality of our masculinist values (our fictions glorify violence, and tend to attach it to manhood but without any explicit exclusivity) to individual freedom towards gendered values (a lot of people reject the dominant dichotomy and embrace values that we arbitrarily gender as "not theirs") to completely transversal reasons (there are so many feelings and pulsions that are universal).

Trying to find one causal, gendered, cause to a mass killing is absurd, and is just a projection of prejudices - like learning that the killer used to listen to rock&roll and suddenly deciding this is the determining factor, while you didn't consider the musical habits of other killers as relevant (it's the "how it works" xkcd strip). But at a statistical level, when assessing the overwhelming majority of male mass killing and the role of gender socialization, it's not absurd to consider that a person treated as a boy since birth could have been socialized accordingly to traditionally male values and internalized many of them.

Let's just also keep in mind that 1) a lot of boys socialized through these values do not kill, 2) a few girls embrace these values despite mainstream cultural gender biases. Transgenderism is neither necessary nor sufficient for a girl to align with statistically male categories. It has a weak, hypothetical explanatory power. And also, absolutely nothing to do with biological determinism.