Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yep, borderline. Strategic bombing sits in a really gray space when it comes to the laws of warfare.
Strategic bombing.... of a country you aren't even at war with?

Perhaps the 'grey area' changes to suit the needs of those committing the bombings

(I'm not trying to get up you here. I'm pretty sure you see the ridiculousness of the situation. I just dont care what the US, or Russian, warmongers think)

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I mean, they might be illegal for the rest of the world, but the US doesn't typically sign those kind of treaties (and will invade the Netherlands if anybody tries to try us for war crimes over it)
The US is signatory and party to all the aforementioned conventions. What we are not, is a member or signatory (we withdrew it) of the international criminal court.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Strategic bombing.... of a country you aren't even at war with?
Yep. Conducting military operations in/against a country you're not at war with isn't a war crime in itself. Not saying it isn't a crime under other international law just not a war crime.

Perhaps the 'grey area' changes to suit the needs of those committing the bombings
The international 'laws' of warfare are a hazy mass of treaties, agreements, protocols and conventions that are really light on supporting details. What constitutes military necessity? Proportional force to what? What is the legal standard for 'indiscriminate' in regards to combat operations and how do you quantify that? You can go on and on for years.

Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ok now we've found the tucker carlson dispenser, it's time to deactivate, unplug, dismantle, dissolve and destroy it for good.

(This version doesn't auto load shit site by clicking play I think)

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So regarding this whole Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher letter and weak apology video. Why is no one bringing up they're clearly being blackmailed by the Church of Scientology? I mean Danny Materson is hardcore coco for cocopuffs, and the Scientologists went out of their way to protect him and attempt to intimidate the witnesses and victims. We know Mila thought about joining the Church at Materson's insistence and had one of those brain scan/therapy confession secessions. And who knows what Scientologist investigators mananged to dig up on Ashton.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
It's not just Ashton and Mila, though. They are the big ones, but apparently just about ALL of the co-stars came out in defense with the exception of Topher Grace.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
The second to "with little or poor judgement". Obviously, the second use is the relevant one. This could be taken to mean firing where the risk of unintended adverse consequences may be suffiently high. However, in the context of discharging a lethal firearm, "sufficiently high" may be quite a modest probability.
He was actually charged with reckless endangerment as well, and found not guilty on those counts too. Presumably because he only shot people who were an immediate threat to him, from short range. Again, describing what he did as "firing into a crowd" is just a poor description meant to evoke imagery very unlike what happened - the evidence points to two of the three people he shot either reaching for his gun. He shot specific targets who he claims he believed were an immediate threat to him (and a jury unanimously agreed this belief was reasonable in the context of available evidence).

I'd argue all of his poor judgement was prior to the shootings or in the days and months afterward (for example, being there at all was a generally bad idea, but not illegal). But as I have to keep pointing out, if you can legally be somewhere, you don't have to justify being there as part of self defense. Likewise, whoever you buddy up with or who decides they support you after the fact is irrelevant to if the act itself was self defense. In WI, self defense with force likely to cause death or great injury only requires a reasonable belief that one is at risk death or great injury to oneself. A jury unanimously agreed that in the situation he was in that a reasonable person would believe that they were at risk of death or great injury.

I'd also argue that people doubling down on him living in another state, or that he didn't "need" to be there, etc rather than focusing on the events surrounding the actual shootings are intentionally trying to obscure things. Particularly the ones who seem to actively try to ignore evidence from the trial. Honestly, before the trial, based on what had been going around in the media I was expecting him to be found guilty of shooting Rosenbaum and Grosskreutz, guilty on the illegal weapon possession charge, not guilty by self defense for shooting Huber and not guilty on the reckless endangerment charges. But the evidence presented at trial changed that, and having watched the entire trial I can't argue with the verdicts that were given.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ok now we've found the tucker carlson dispenser, it's time to deactivate, unplug, dismantle, dissolve and destroy it for good.

I’m not a fashion guru by any measure but polo shirts or t-shirts and shorts with runners seems like the definition of banal or common wear for teenage boys in temperate climates. Or is there some kind of stupid secret handshake bullshit you can’t understand unless you’ve marinated in the American news cycle for thirty years?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He was actually charged with reckless endangerment as well, and found not guilty on those counts too. Presumably because he only shot people who were an immediate threat to him, from short range. Again, describing what he did as "firing into a crowd" is just a poor description meant to evoke imagery very unlike what happened - the evidence points to two of the three people he shot either reaching for his gun. He shot specific targets who he claims he believed were an immediate threat to him (and a jury unanimously agreed this belief was reasonable in the context of available evidence).

I'd argue all of his poor judgement was prior to the shootings or in the days and months afterward (for example, being there at all was a generally bad idea, but not illegal). But as I have to keep pointing out, if you can legally be somewhere, you don't have to justify being there as part of self defense. Likewise, whoever you buddy up with or who decides they support you after the fact is irrelevant to if the act itself was self defense. In WI, self defense with force likely to cause death or great injury only requires a reasonable belief that one is at risk death or great injury to oneself. A jury unanimously agreed that in the situation he was in that a reasonable person would believe that they were at risk of death or great injury.

I'd also argue that people doubling down on him living in another state, or that he didn't "need" to be there, etc rather than focusing on the events surrounding the actual shootings are intentionally trying to obscure things. Particularly the ones who seem to actively try to ignore evidence from the trial. Honestly, before the trial, based on what had been going around in the media I was expecting him to be found guilty of shooting Rosenbaum and Grosskreutz, guilty on the illegal weapon possession charge, not guilty by self defense for shooting Huber and not guilty on the reckless endangerment charges. But the evidence presented at trial changed that, and having watched the entire trial I can't argue with the verdicts that were given.
I get that the evidence presented convinced a jury of his peers he was not guilty of an offence. Sure, whatever, due process was served. He’s a free man but I will never not think he’s a fucking idiot.

I think though for some of us - foreigners especially - there’s probably a great deal of incredulity that somehow he was allowed to do what he did at all. Like if I’d shown up to the Cronulla Riots back in the 2000s from Melbourne with a weapon to do my bit as it were, the NSW Police would have taken my weapon, given me a slap upside the head and had me frogmarched to the state border while telling me to fuck off and keep out of shit that didn’t concern me. Assuming of course they just didn’t arrest my arse straight up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Like if I’d shown up to the Cronulla Riots back in the 2000s from Melbourne with a weapon to do my bit as it were, the NSW Police would have taken my weapon, given me a slap upside the head and had me frogmarched to the state border while telling me to fuck off and keep out of shit that didn’t concern me. Assuming of course they just didn’t arrest my arse straight up.
With a non-zero chance of things ending significantly worse for you. Sure, Australian police aren't Americans ones, but still.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
With a non-zero chance of things ending significantly worse for you. Sure, Australian police aren't Americans ones, but still.
Oh fuck yeah, the NSW Armed Robbery Squad were the stuff of legends with corruption and graft. The Victorian police as a whole had, or may still have, a reputation that precedes them for overzealous applications of violence. Then there was the whole 'deaths in custody' thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeah, I am kinda confused on what's going on here. Are they trying to imitate Carlson or making fun of him>

So regarding this whole Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher letter and weak apology video. Why is no one bringing up they're clearly being blackmailed by the Church of Scientology? I mean Danny Materson is hardcore coco for cocopuffs, and the Scientologists went out of their way to protect him and attempt to intimidate the witnesses and victims. We know Mila thought about joining the Church at Materson's insistence and had one of those brain scan/therapy confession secessions. And who knows what Scientologist investigators mananged to dig up on Ashton.
It's not just Ashton and Mila, though. They are the big ones, but apparently just about ALL of the co-stars came out in defense with the exception of Topher Grace.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I’m not a fashion guru by any measure but polo shirts or t-shirts and shorts with runners seems like the definition of banal or common wear for teenage boys in temperate climates. Or is there some kind of stupid secret handshake bullshit you can’t understand unless you’ve marinated in the American news cycle for thirty years?
Yeah, I am kinda confused on what's going on here. Are they trying to imitate Carlson or making fun of him>
Oh, is just a wealthy prestige sports college, part of the Southeastern Conference (SEC), the amusement is merely from how it almost looks like a conveyor belt of rich white boy clones, same casual clothing, same hair, same hue of pigmentation etc. Am not American, but I see teenage boys all the time and none dress like that here when they're casshin about, even in the current environment of country folk on hot days. That's like a very specific look, a free-range curiosity to see in the wild. 😉

Replies probably better summaries than my village drunk peasant ramblings;
Screenshot_20230913-154024.png

Screenshot_20230913-154059_Edited.jpg

As bonus info, "Roll Tide" is copyrighted by the University of Alabama and they will sue you if they see you messing with it! Though I've faith CM156 is safe and informed with their usage for now. 🤞

(Who the fuck's gonna want to use "rammer jammer" for anything? What a dumb phrase to decide to legally horde. You can keep it, mate. Ta!)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh, is just a wealthy prestige sports college, part of the Southeastern Conference (SEC), the amusement is merely from how it almost looks like a conveyor belt of rich white boy clones, same casual clothing, same hair, same hue of pigmentation etc.
It's also basically just a more warm-weather friendly version of the "polo shirt and chinos" uniform of preppy Ivy League trust-fund kids in the Northeast, who were born on third base and think they hit a triple. The type who say "Hey, Pops, what say we take the Alfa Romeo out for a spin?" in a New England lockjaw.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
This is the Church of Scientology all over, though.

My wife is always reminded of a documentary which revealed Cruise & Kidman has some romantic fantasy - running through a field of flowers or something - so the CoS got its plebs to go out and plant one for them to do so, like the bunch of serfs they basically are. That's why it's so freakishly cult-like: it's big figures benefit enormously from the CoS flattering, protecting them and lavishly catering to their desires, all paid for by the lower orders due to its spectacular wealth extraction techniques.

That said, Kuchner and Masterson apparently go back many years. I can understand a person being unwilling to believe an old and long-standing friend turned out to be a rapist, and putting in a statement of support. After all, I think all of us would hope our friends would stick by us if we were accused of a crime and claimed our innocence.