Funny events in anti-woke world

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Feel free to point out where their About includes "forced minority inclusion" (your exact words in #14932)
So they don't go into a game studio and consult to make the game's script/story/characters more diverse and inclusive? Again, literally their About statement.

Its not quite the same. While every protagonist looking like Nathan Drake got quite a degree of mockery you didn't have clowns hysterically shrieking about it like they do every time a mean character is black or has boobs. Or worse, if they have both.

And when is something forced on them anyway? Most of the time those things just being there counts as it being FORCED! DOWN! THEIR! THROAT!
I agreed with people here complaining about too many short-haired white dudes and I agree that forcing the opposite is bad too. I don't change my principles. The creatives should be able to make the game they want.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
So they don't go into a game studio and consult to make the game's script/story/characters more diverse and inclusive? Again, literally their About statement.
You said "force minority inclusion". That is not the same as consulting on diversity and inclusion. One is an authoritative action focused purely on minorities. The other is an advisory action focused on everyone.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You said "force minority inclusion". That is not the same as consulting on diversity and inclusion. One is an authoritative action focused purely on minorities. The other is an advisory action focused on everyone.
So they are going into game studios with games that are too diverse and inclusive and consulting to make the games have less minorities in them?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

To all the Stellar Blade gooners, is the censorship in the room with us right now?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
So they are going into game studios with games that are too diverse and inclusive and consulting to make the games have less minorities in them?
Are you actually looking for an answer or just being obtuse?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

To all the Stellar Blade gooners, is the censorship in the room with us right now?
You aren't going to believe this, but the gooners are saying that blue swimsuit is *also* censored, because the thumbnail icon for it doesn't have those yellow straps
1714593665109.jpeg

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I agreed with people here complaining about too many short-haired white dudes and I agree that forcing the opposite is bad too. I don't change my principles. The creatives should be able to make the game they want.
I underlined the bit that's not happening

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And if the creatives, say, hire a consulting firm to help them make the game they want?
Then they're obviously doing it against the wishes of the rest of the team, or they're lying, because I think this consultancy is useless therefor it is, and the developers are being forced.

Reactions: Avnger

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Are you actually looking for an answer or just being obtuse?
Well, there's only 2 options, which one is it then?

And if the creatives, say, hire a consulting firm to help them make the game they want?
I already asked all the associated questions to Shinji because the logic doesn't check out. Shinji said that the stuff being added or altered or consulted on is side character stuff. But then why do you need to bring in consultants to make a character gay or black or asian? You can't write a side quest character that you don't even have to mention their race, sexuality, etc to not do something that would be offensive? And then if you do want to have a minority main character that would have to be written properly (needing dialogue pertaining to race or sexuality as you're exploring the character thoroughly unlike a side character), then why wouldn't you hire a main writer that can write that type of character to begin with? What is the actual point of SBI then?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Just goes to show that if you backfire your political allies for the lulz you best be sure they're helpless to retaliate. Ruthless opportunism can be seen as skillful politics....if you win. If you betray someone only to lose you just look like an incompetent fool.

Did he give an explanation as to why bullying the Greens was more important than his political survival?
He's been exceptionally vague on why so far. In the speech announcing it, he talked about how "the balance has shifted" and the agreement has "served its purpose", but offered no actual detail.

The truth is it's almost certainly because the SNP had abandoned a climate target (75% carbon emission reduction by 2030, on 1990 levels), prompting the Greens to organise a vote on whether to continue the agreement. So it looks like the SNP wanted to jump before they were pushed.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I already asked all the associated questions to Shinji because the logic doesn't check out. Shinji said that the stuff being added or altered or consulted on is side character stuff. But then why do you need to bring in consultants to make a character gay or black or asian? You can't write a side quest character that you don't even have to mention their race, sexuality, etc to not do something that would be offensive? And then if you do want to have a minority main character that would have to be written properly (needing dialogue pertaining to race or sexuality as you're exploring the character thoroughly unlike a side character), then why wouldn't you hire a main writer that can write that type of character to begin with? What is the actual point of SBI then?

Reactions: Cicada 5

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
In your opinion side characters could just be written by ChatGPT. You know very little about actual writing.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
There was no way Tales of K Zau would've been allowed to slip past their anaemic ire. Luckily is great game regardless, perhaps also the best use of artsy purples in videogame world. Ahem, am not biased cos it favourite colour, though it certainly helps 😉👌
Is it? I'd heard it had had a rather lackluster launch, though given the premise and topic I doubt it was ever going to have a huge release.

That's ignoring how the terms are actually used. For example, if I'm creating a historical drama set in 14th century Mali and cast Keanu Reeves to play Mansa Musa, no one is going to consider that choice an example of diversity and inclusion (and many will actually consider it the opposite) - despite a huge majority of the cast in that work likely being black given the setting and thus casting Keanu almost certainly making the cast less racially homogeneous than it otherwise would be.

SBI does not.
Simple question: Do you believe that a hiring a narrative consultant like SBI has any appreciable impact on the end result?

If yes, then it's useful to know what games they worked on - they're likely to have similar sorts of impact between titles and one is likely to have a preference either for or against that impact.

If no, then hiring them is a waste of money that could be better spent on something else, and is probably not a good sign.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
"Too diverse and inclusive"

What is this nonsense?
They are either doing Option_A or Option_B, which one do you think SBI is doing?

So they don't go into a game studio and consult to make the game's script/story/characters more diverse and inclusive?
---

Did you not read what that article said? Because it doesn't say what you think it says.

SBI literally says their goal is to add diversity and inclusiveness. So SBI doesn't give insights and recommendations to make games more diverse and inclusive? What does SBI do then? Everyone here keeps avoiding answering that question.
Specifically, a game consultant's job is to provide insights and recommendations that help game companies improve their products' chances for success. One type of evaluation might examine a game's narrative and story...

In your opinion side characters could just be written by ChatGPT. You know very little about actual writing.
Have you not played video games and not understand how shit writing is in them on average? The Fallout TV show is leagues better in writing quality than the Bethesda games for example. I'll never understand people playing games for story/characters/writing because you can go to basically any other medium and get much higher quality writing because none of the top writers are in the video game industry.

Do you not realize how low quality the writing is on video game side quests? Yeah, I'll take ChatGPT.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Simple question: Do you believe that a hiring a narrative consultant like SBI has any appreciable impact on the end result?

If yes, then it's useful to know what games they worked on - they're likely to have similar sorts of impact between titles and one is likely to have a preference either for or against that impact.

If no, then hiring them is a waste of money that could be better spent on something else, and is probably not a good sign.
Pray tell, what is the similar impact they had on Sable, God of War: Ragnarok, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, The Crew: Motorfest, and Goodbye, Volcano High?

Like, I can point to an objective, predictable effect Denuvo has