Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Pro tip. If the colors of my words turn blue, that is a link you can click for more information. I had a source the first time.
Yep, i noticed. Neither time did it make that angle any more relevant.

Yes, mostly because acting as if it will requires absolutely no change in your actions. Knowing that historically pandemics fall off after a few years and coronaviruses become regular colds can give you hope for the future without changing any of what you're doing now.
Changing none of your actions in the face of overwhelmingly different circumstances is an example of extreme complacency and lack of caution.

Reactions: Buyetyen

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Changing none of your actions in the face of overwhelmingly different circumstances is an example of extreme complacency and lack of caution.
On the contrary, changing your actions dramatically under the pretense you can predict the future would be the option lacking caution.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
On the contrary, changing your actions dramatically under the pretense you can predict the future would be the option lacking caution.
Yeah, if my house suddenly catches fire I'm going to suddenly and dramatically change whatever actions I was doing due to predicting a future of burns if I don't.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Wait, what?

Who's saying we should radically change our actions due to covid-19 going forward? Where's that come from?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Producing models based on established, available information, and then taking a cautious approach based on that, is hardly divination.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Wait, what?

Who's saying we should radically change our actions due to covid-19 going forward? Where's that come from?
Ask Silvanus. I'm being accused of "complacency" because I expect a pandemic to end. I don't know what changes in behavior I'm being accused of avoiding, but they must be major, I guess.
Producing models based on established, available information, and then taking a cautious approach based on that, is hardly divination.
Yeah, you're not doing that though. You're ignoring all of history prior to 2019.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Ask Silvanus. I'm being accused of "complacency" because I expect a pandemic to end. I don't know what changes in behavior I'm being accused of avoiding, but they must be major, I guess.
It's complacency to just assume it will dwindle away to equivalent to a common cold. It's certainly not a safe assumption to build policy on at this point.

Silvanus is right that it just requires the same sort of treatment as influenza as has been done for years: supplying sufficient healthcare capacity for people with severe respiratory illness, vaccination, international monitoring to keep track of potential dangerous new variants, then relevant research (including "long covid") etc. This can be expanded or shrunk according to need as required. There's nothing radical at all, it's just SOP for this sort of illness.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No, you're not, this is another lazy rewrite. We all expect the pandemic to end.

However, you believe it will definitely fade into complete irrelevance, become much less prominent than influenza, based on a hypothesis that... a past pandemic might possibly have been a coronavirus. Supposition used as the basis for a definite conclusion is shoddy reasoning.

Yeah, you're not doing that though. You're ignoring all of history prior to 2019.
No: I'm restricting my modelling to established medical history, rather than taking unestablished hypotheses and then treating them as fact.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well, I'm not going to say that he's wrong about M&M and child labour

It's just got nothing to do with woke. Most people who get labelled as 'woke' would be the first to point out what the game is here.

Nor do I think people like Fucker Carlson care one whit about the children. It only comes up when there is a label change
This isn't woke?
1673984593292.png

Sure, let me just look up "a study in 2015". Oh, wait.

The "Flucamp" article then goes on to say:
"While this might suggest more people begin to contract the virus in the east than the west, it’s actually the reverse. Studying the influenza virus across a yearly period, scientists found that the virus would eventually die out everywhere – except in the west. This suggests that each year, the influenza virus begins in the west and spreads to the east across the globe, which goes to explain why there are such high numbers of influenza suffers in the east every year."

What. The. Fucking. Fuck?

It is however nice to see that Phoenixmgs has still learnt absolutely nothing and just yanks any old shit off any old website just so long as it says something vaguely aligning with what he wants to believe.
Huh? Who cares where the flu starts? Seems like it dies out where I'm at every year like clockwork (and I'm in the west).

Pics from a rented apartment in 2019/2020. When she's citing a report from 2022.
You didn't get the joke...

So... given that Covid-19 mutates more quickly, is just as transmissible and has a greater death toll over the time period of its existence, what exactly is leading you to conclude it will just fade to irrelevance in a way that influenza didn't?
Covid doesn't mutate nearly as quickly as the flu, where do you come up with this stuff? The flu mutating ridiculously fast is like its thing, it mutates so fast when you have the flu, you have like thousands of different variants in you. The flu can't duplicate itself properly and constantly makes mistakes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You didn't get the joke...
You're right: I thought the point was to imply she's a hypocrite for using something she has spoken against.

But no, it's just a bogstandard "hurr hurr brain damage" insult.

Covid doesn't mutate nearly as quickly as the flu, where do you come up with this stuff? The flu mutating ridiculously fast is like its thing, it mutates so fast when you have the flu, you have like thousands of different variants in you. The flu can't duplicate itself properly and constantly makes mistakes.
As I've said to tstorm, it's true that covid mutates at a lower rate. However, due to its dominance and proofreading mechanism, more significant variants of covid are arising more quickly.

With the flu, researchers endeavour to produce adapted shots to counter the upcoming dominant strains on a yearly basis. This is usually about 2 or 3. With covid, you'll notice that several variants with significant implications for healthcare systems arose in a matter of months.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No. That's just another brand trying to optimise their profits through various vapid PR advice. The only ppl who see that as "woke(tm)" are those who cannot conceive of morals existing outside of the narrow established boundaries of cynical captialist "individualism."
Slight edit. Brands have always done vapid PR stunts. These are not different from any other ad. Make sure that you dont get swept up in culture warriors attempt to separate them as that the whole point of what they are doing. Divide and conquer

I'm going to point out that this is no different from deodorant products pretending the women will hound you if you use it or car products having anything to do with freedom. Neither product does any of this. Google, Hooters, Dominos and Hobby Lobby all do it. ALL ads are virtue signalling. That's the whole point of them. Yet, you only have problems with particular ads

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No. That's just another brand trying to optimise their profits through various vapid PR advice. The only ppl who see that as "woke(tm)" are those who cannot conceive of morals existing outside of the narrow established boundaries of cynical captialist "individualism."
How is that not woke? All companies do their woke stuff through PR.

It's selling fucking chocolate candy, you don't need to do any of that kind of messaging to sell candy. Does say Albanese make ads about women empowerment? Nope, because they sell candy. You know what type of company can make an ad about women empowerment and not be virtue signalling, a job recruiter website like Indeed or ZipRecruiter.

As I've said to tstorm, it's true that covid mutates at a lower rate. However, due to its dominance and proofreading mechanism, more significant variants of covid are arising more quickly.

With the flu, researchers endeavour to produce adapted shots to counter the upcoming dominant strains on a yearly basis. This is usually about 2 or 3. With covid, you'll notice that several variants with significant implications for healthcare systems arose in a matter of months.
Uhh.... When did all this happen? I don't think a single covid variant had significant implications for healthcare systems. I work at several hospitals covering a whole hospital system and the first year of the pandemic was the only one where getting into rooms was at all troublesome and additional rooms were "annexed" from other departments for more rooms for covid patients. Since then, it's only a small handful of rooms we have to come back for because they are a covid room.

I'm going to point out that this is no different from deodorant products pretending the women will hound you if you use it or car products having anything to do with freedom. Neither product does any of this. Google, Hooters, Dominos and Hobby Lobby all do it. ALL ads are virtue signalling. That's the whole point of them. Yet, you only have problems with particular ads
That's completely different, that's selling your product. A deodorant ad about racism or women empowerment is not selling the product and is virtue signalling. According to you guys "woke" doesn't exist then and there's no point to this thread.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It's complacency to just assume it will dwindle away to equivalent to a common cold. It's certainly not a safe assumption to build policy on at this point.
What policy would you even be building? What change in behavior would come out of knowing the almost certainty it will fade away when it hasn't yet? Do you imagine I'm suggesting we stop treating sick people now because they might not be sick in the future?

Now you don't have to ask Silvanus. Feel free to ask yourself. What immediate major change in behavior are you advocating between the two possibilities here? What am I not doing that makes me complacent?
However, you believe it will definitely fade into complete irrelevance, become much less prominent than influenza, based on a hypothesis that... a past pandemic might possibly have been a coronavirus.
Well, the good news is, like the many, many aspects of this pandemic I have been correct about, we will know within a reasonable timeframe whether I'm right about this. I guarantee you'll still be arguing with Phoenix about the pandemic for a couple more years at least, so we can revisit this question then.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's completely different, that's selling your product. A deodorant ad about racism or women empowerment is not selling the product and is virtue signalling. According to you guys "woke" doesn't exist then and there's no point to this thread.
Like.... do you not understand that a deodorant doesn't give you sex? Women dont chase after you? It deodorant, that's not it's design. It was specifically made up to appeal to your identity.

You cannot be that far up your own arse not to see how things get sold to you

It's all vapid virtue signaling. No, buying M&Ms don't help women. No, buying deodorant doesn't give you any attention. No, eating Subway is not fresh and doesn't make you healthy. No, Coke doesn't give you fun, bikini parties or Santa (or a hundred other fake ways that Coke has sold itself when it's just a fizzy drink.) No, Gi Joes were never tough or mamly. They're dolls. They were made to appeal to your identity politics to suck money out of wallets

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Uhh.... When did all this happen? I don't think a single covid variant had significant implications for healthcare systems.
ABSOLUTE LOL

No other response is adequate. Complete head-in-the-sand delusion territory.

I work at several hospitals covering a whole hospital system
Yes, you've mentioned this before, when you described how you ignored basic hygiene protocols at work. It continues to be pretty concerning.

What policy would you even be building? What change in behavior would come out of knowing the almost certainty it will fade away when it hasn't yet? Do you imagine I'm suggesting we stop treating sick people now because they might not be sick in the future?

Now you don't have to ask Silvanus. Feel free to ask yourself. What immediate major change in behavior are you advocating between the two possibilities here? What am I not doing that makes me complacent?
The complacent assumption that the pandemic will just sort itself out has already been affecting behaviour and policy. You can see it in how precautions have been abandoned, and how governments waited far too long to implement restrictions, and then removed all restrictions as soon as numbers started to go down, without doing the prep work (like creating functional test-and-tracing services or vaccination drives).

You can see the direct impact of this complacency in the fact that lockdowns were implemented, then removed, then had to be reimplemented when numbers rose precipitously again.... and that whole cycle was repeated over and over and over.

Complacency set in every damn time the numbers started to decrease. Only to rise right back to the levels at which the restrictions had to be reintroduced. And here we are again: with the clowns insisting that it'll definitely fade to nothing this time for sure!

So what's the behavioural/policy difference? Mostly that I don't advocate doing what has already failed four or more times over the last couple of years. Instead: Stay on the cautious side of restrictions until functional test and trace services and a more comprehensive vaccination program are in place, and then open more slowly.

I'm not too optimistic this is possible anymore in my own country, though, judging by the public mentality. It should certainly be the approach in China right now, like it should have been earlier in the US and UK.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
You cannot be that far up your own arse not to see how things get sold to you
Some people genuinely believe advertising has no effect on them. It's just a multi-billion industry for letting us know products exist and in no way tries to guide our purchasing decisions.

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Thaluikhain

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Some people genuinely believe advertising has no effect on them. It's just a multi-billion industry for letting us know products exist and in no way tries to guide our purchasing decisions.

🤷‍♂️
I've said it elsewhere: That depiction of Santa in a red-and-white fur outfit that's been popular for more than a century is all thanks to Coca-Cola. Coke's brand colors are plastered in front of our faces for months on end every year. Does it outright scream "buy our soda"? Nope. But I doubt that the Coca-Cola company is the biggest soft drink maker in the world solely because of its flavor.