Furry Morality Question

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Absolutely disgusting. There is already a huge social inequality gap in the developed world. Something like this would only serve to widen it even further. People would be denied opportunities becuase they could not afford to purchase this serum. People would be incapable of doing as much as those who were fortunate enough to get the wealth needed to acquire it. Some people will merely use the serum to make up for their own lack of effort. Such a thing will only bring problems to our society, and thus must not be used.

As for it turning people into an animal human hybrid, that just makes a bad thing even worse. Hybrids brought about through the manipulation of genes should not be allowed in society. It would lead to a ton of discrimination from both sides. Humans would resent them for being "unnatural", while hybrids would view themselves as the superior species due to their genetic modifications. This would cause a ton of problems, obviously.

So basicly, it would be the X-men plot in real life.

For the fun of it lets say the serum is so cheap anyone can buy, what then? Would the people be divided by who would change to furries just to have enhanced abilities and people that won't change? That's the only think I see happening.

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
A rational person who sees the obvious dangers that will come from letting people completley altar their genes in such a massive way.
You seem to think that we are talking about people who want to can make themselves into an unstoppable murder machine or completely dominate sport B.

People would still be flesh and blood and... people. No matter what someone will do something wrong with anything that that they can.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Internet Kraken said:
Ryengu said:
A) This is hypothetical, meaning we can toss out what ties to reality we need to in order to have fun with the question B) Furry is not a sexual fetish by nature (even if some people use it for that), it just means someone identifies with an anthro character as a representative self, like a game avatar.
I think if someone is going to change their body permanently so that they appear as a hybrid, it goes beyond merely identifying with them in works of fiction. It'd be like me changing myself to look like a squid just becuase I like them. At that point it becomes mentally troubling.

artanis_neravar said:
Not to be an ass, but who are you to tell me what I can or can't do to my genetic code?
A rational person who sees the obvious dangers that will come from letting people completley altar their genes in such a massive way.
I am a completely rational person and where you see obvious dangers, I see obvious benefits

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Absolutely disgusting. There is already a huge social inequality gap in the developed world. Something like this would only serve to widen it even further. People would be denied opportunities becuase they could not afford to purchase this serum. People would be incapable of doing as much as those who were fortunate enough to get the wealth needed to acquire it. Some people will merely use the serum to make up for their own lack of effort. Such a thing will only bring problems to our society, and thus must not be used.

As for it turning people into an animal human hybrid, that just makes a bad thing even worse. Hybrids brought about through the manipulation of genes should not be allowed in society. It would lead to a ton of discrimination from both sides. Humans would resent them for being "unnatural", while hybrids would view themselves as the superior species due to their genetic modifications. This would cause a ton of problems, obviously.
Naturals VS Coordinators al-la Gundam Seed

while yes, i like the sound of it, ALL of it, realistically, it'll lead to more bad then good

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
soulfire130 said:
Internet Kraken said:

So basicly, it would be the X-men plot in real life.

For the fun of it lets say the serum is so cheap anyone can buy, what then? Would the people be divided by who would change to furries just to have enhanced abilities and people that won't change? That's the only think I see happening.
No it would be the Gundam Seed plot in real life, X-men mutants were naturally mutated

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Kitsuna10060 said:
Internet Kraken said:

Naturals VS Coordinators al-la Gundam Seed

while yes, i like the sound of it, ALL of it, realistically, it'll lead to more bad then good
Yep I tried to make that reference but no one bite, it was rather disappointing

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Seanfall said:
I'd do it. You get smarter, stronger, faster, PLUS a nice warm fur coat for winter? Yes. summer would suck (more) though. would it just give slight animal features, or full on reverse ankle type stuff. That would probably determine how much of it you take though..Hmmm.
I was thinking more avian DNA, you offer me some hollow bones, and wings that will allow me to fly under my own power and i will do almost anything for you

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
And I'd say if you're changing you're appearance in such a massive way, you have problems. This goes beyond anything that exists currently in our society. You are literally becoming a different species just becuase you want to be "different". There's nothing wrong with trying to be an individual, but genetic modification is the horribly wrong way to go about doing it.
And where is the problem if you are not being forced to do the same or remotely threatened by those who make the change any more than people you walk past on the street now?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I probably wouldnt, but if such a serum was made id pretend it was some sort of Shonen anime with me trying to best opponents that should be far far more capable than me.

[small]and me dying horribly for overestimating my abilities[/small]

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Vidi Kitty said:
Internet Kraken said:
You seem to think that we are talking about people who want to can make themselves into an unstoppable murder machine or completely dominate sport B.

People would still be flesh and blood and... people. No matter what someone will do something wrong with anything that that they can.
Except they wouldn't be? When you take this serum you are no longer a person. You are a hybrid. If it possible to become a hybrid then obviously genetic modifications are so advanced that far more dangerous things can also be done with them. And a society that lets people heavily modify their genes for trivial reasons is one that is setting itself up for disaster. We can't just let people modify themselves in such drastic ways. Far to many potential problems come from it.
artanis_neravar said:
I am a completely rational person and where you see obvious dangers, I see obvious benefits
When you are saying you'd become a hybrid, I question how rational you truly are. In any case the dangers far outweigh the benefits.

Vidi Kitty said:
And where is the problem if you are not being forced to do the same or remotely threatened by those who make the change any more than people you walk past on the street now?
Because I am forced to interact with these people. I find it shocking that furries are surprised when people "discriminate" against them. If you are going to become and and like animal, how could you not expect people to treat you like one?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Internet Kraken said:
Vidi Kitty said:
Internet Kraken said:

Except they wouldn't be? When you take this serum you are no longer a person. You are a hybrid. If it possible to become a hybrid then obviously genetic modifications are so advanced that far more dangerous things can also be done with them. And a society that lets people heavily modify their genes for trivial reasons is one that is setting itself up for disaster. We can't just let people modify themselves in such drastic ways. Far to many potential problems come from it.
artanis_neravar said:
Internet Kraken said:
Ryengu said:
A) This is hypothetical, meaning we can toss out what ties to reality we need to in order to have fun with the question B) Furry is not a sexual fetish by nature (even if some people use it for that), it just means someone identifies with an anthro character as a representative self, like a game avatar.
I think if someone is going to change their body permanently so that they appear as a hybrid, it goes beyond merely identifying with them in works of fiction. It'd be like me changing myself to look like a squid just becuase I like them. At that point it becomes mentally troubling.

artanis_neravar said:
When you are saying you'd become a hybrid, I question how rational you truly are. In any case the dangers far outweigh the benefits.
When you are saying you wouldn't be a hybrid, I question how rational you truly are. I think the benefits crush the dangers

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
I'd do it if I got to pick the animal and the abilities.

A question to the people that say they wouldn't because of possible discrimination: should we really be limiting ourselves because it may offend idiots? that's like saying there shouldn't have been a civil rights movement because it made the racists angry and cause social distress.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
You'd save a bundle on clothes, that's for sure. I'd do it--probably look better covered in hair. It'd be hot in the summer though. Maybe I'd see if they could combine me with a dolphin or otter or something and go swimming a lot.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
So many possiblities....
Wings?
The ability to jump far?
Being able to climb almost completely smooth surfaces?
Super strength?
The ability to regenerate body parts?
...All of the above

Harkwell

Sep 14, 2009
Lunafox said:
Hmmn... I'ma gonna lable this one as 'proformance enhanceing drugs' and state that this would have to be taken as case by case as apposed to the big YES/NO sticker.

Unfortuantly I'd like to know a hell of alot more before I can make a decistion on if I would use it.
Side-effects (beyond furryfication)
Reactiveness to other drugs (if i can't has my coffee then hell no)
Is it permanent?
Addictiveness?

But from what I know atm, no, I dont think I would
Let's see... The intent of the question wasn't to focus on the serum ITSELF rather the morality that comes with the change, but what the hell, I'll humor you.

1) None, exactly whats on the label. Furryification for enhanced physical and mental abilities.
2)None, again the serum doesn't matter. It could be made out of shit and pickles and still work.
3) Yup, your stuck with your choice.
4) Umm... I'm not sure how to answer that in regards to this...

Ryengu

May 22, 2011
Internet Kraken said:
I think if someone is going to change their body permanently so that they appear as a hybrid, it goes beyond merely identifying with them in works of fiction. It'd be like me changing myself to look like a squid just because I like them. At that point it becomes mentally troubling.
As opposed to people who jam needles through their flesh so they can stick bits of metal in. And that's just a cosmetic alteration, this one, as proposed, would offer more than just aesthetic changes, though those would be a consideration as well. History and mythology is full of animal symbolism, and many cultures had rituals meant to take in aspects of animals. It's something heavily ingrained into human culture, so it's by no means unprecedented. And how many trekkies do you think would gladly turn into vulcans if they could?

Captcha: oppose itionts. Hmmmmm.....

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
I wouldn't do it right away. I've brains enough to get me through college, I'm sure, and I don't take kindly to the idea of being discriminated against. I'd wait a few years and see how the whole discrimination thing plays out, and after everyone but the fundamentalists are done grossing out over it, I'd totally do it.

EDIT: Oh by the way, kudos to you for this thread. I honestly don't think I've ever seen one like it. It's great to have a fresh one after all the MLP and "Am I the only one...?" threads.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Worth it on so many levels.
All those Pros and a single Con? Social issues? Yeah, worth it on so many levels.