Furry Morality Question

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I don't feel there's much of a moral quandary here, the question is: "Would you make yourself better and more awesome in every way, or not because you're either the type of person who would make life hell for those who do or scared of those types of people." It all comes down too being either brave, racist, or scared of racists and those aren't moral standpoints.

Besides, people who are scoffing at the idea know deep down that were it a reality they'd likely do it because the point of evolution, natural or forced, is to keep up with the Joneses and anyone not using this product would be swiftly left behind to gather dust on the shelf of obsolescence.

Kikyoo

Apr 16, 2008
Well if enough athletes did it, you would have two different leagues of play. One for the spliced and one for the un-spliced. It would be the only way to do it.... but on the other hand you'd have to deal with one being wildly more popular than the other. Also about the "Price point" The price could come down if 2 types of the serum are in circulation. First is the normal use one, basically one use and your the beast man. But then there would be the military grade one. Minimal controlled effect with maximum controlled power. Basically several splicing things mixed together to have all the best things from different animals. Eyes like a hawk, sharp hearing and sense of smell, sharp reflexes strength, and you know they would try to get those soldiers to fly, and have as many biological weapons as they could afford. I could see "that" getting expensive, but just being spliced with one animal not so much.

Now would I do it or not? probably yes. I would want to go with a form of Turtle, probably an alligator snapping turtle. Shell, a wicked bite, and some enhanced stamina and durability would make me a human freight train. or spliced freight train as it were.

I think the REAL controversy would come with children. A baby is born and the parents want them to be a howler monkey. They have the money and preform the operation. Now that child has no say, they just get spliced for the rest of their life. Kids at school be damned, but the novelty of it would wear off pretty quick for that little kid. That is where the real controversy would be. Is it ethical to force all your children to be spliced? Or to be spliced before a certain age. Then new laws would be enforced, but only in some places, while other places it would be lawful to have all your children spliced. It would be a fairly big issue, for obvious reasons.

Laws age limits and obviously splicing rare animals would be more expensive, but possibly not give that much more benefit. A cheeta is basically just a big cat, not that different than your common house cat. but the house cat would be cheap and easy, while the Cheeta would be expensive and rare. Supply and demand would be a huge factor in how this would play out, but I for one, would be for it.

Mcmuffin

Apr 15, 2011
ide do it in a heartbeat. Ide get used to being part animal, the rewards are well worth it as long as lifespan and such are still the same and it causes no other side effects. Also 90% sure this was a plotline for Batman Beyond

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
I would totally do it. Heck, I'm a furry and would probably sign up for the serum even if it didn't have any positive affects on my intellect. Furries, in my opinion, are by far more attractive than human beings.

Fiend13

Apr 15, 2010
Emergent System said:
Your brain and skull can have all kinds of interesting forms and shapes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation] without it impairing you dramatically. The only real problem is giving birth to things with really large heads, but if it's post-birth that wouldn't be an issue.
1. Regarding the brain the size matters more than the form.

2. No where in that article is stated anything about the intellectual impact of such a deformation. A quick google search produced results in your favor. However, this specific example of deformation is most likely not relevant to my argument, because the deformation is not created for physical but cultural 'enhancement'. A recent study indicated form and size of the jaw are directly related to the size of the brain and therefor intellectual capability (the deformation in question leaves the jaw entirely intact). Basically, the less distinct the jaw of a creature is the bigger its brain can be. Looking at all predator mamals and even apes (especially gorillas) this thesis is true. In my opinion (not scientific but reasonable) creatures with outstanding physical abilities needed these jaws to process high energy food to maintain their physis. Considering that the mutual influence of genetics and lifestyle is well documented i would deduct further that the feature 'massiv jaw' (and therefor small brain; also lacking ability to verbally communicate btw) is now saved withing these animals core dna.

Taking all these considerations into account i concede to your point as follows:
Since we humans have other means than big jaws to process high energy food it might be possible to artificially engineer something that gives us the features in question. However it will be not possible using existent animal dna, because the jaws are a vital part of their entire anatomy and simply cutting parts of dna would most certainly be lethal.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
"If man were crossed with a cat it would improve the man but degrade the cat"
~Samuel Clemens (Tom Sawyer)
"More human the hu man"
~Rob Zombie
Think of all that hair. I give the sewer system a day before its completely clogged and backs up. Fleas and other assorted animals will be hugely problematic. I see was coming out of furries everywhere. Undoubtedly this would be the collapse of civilization. I think what furries fail to be thinking about hear is that a cat girl can be sexy in a cartoon; IRL this is horrible nightmare fuel, all matted fur and smelly and so horrible a child would weep in fear.

Edit: I attributed the first quote to the wrong Tom. Its fixed now.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
well I rather doubt the government is going to make me a meta human and jsut let me go back to my life.
Chances are they want either a few years or a lifetime of servetude to advance toe great nation of Canada..............that said. I'd do it. As long as being a tigerman doesn't make me worse at things that reequire delacate finger work.
If I suddenly am stronger but unable to paint or play guitar or type on a keyboard or whatnot then no......

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
I can smell the bioshock scenario from a mile away. Plus I'm already mentally superior to everyone I know, and the only way this could work in my view is if we kill the people who sign up for it because obviously they all come from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Selway

Nov 18, 2009
There seems to be this assumption that you're going to end up looking like something out of an anime rather than say this [http://www.brookstreetpictures.com/jackbrooks/press/photos/Kristyn-Butcher-as-Mutant-Janice-in-Jack-Brooks-Monster-Slayer.jpg] guy. The premise is that you become physically and mentally better, no one said pretty, pretty nekos one and all. Some of the things we've done just with plants genetically is misguided enough. Look into Monsanto a bit, they basically want to patent forms of life. Whether it's over blown or not it doesn't make them any less douchey. Now imagine what the company that made the serum might be like, especially if it's free.

FexusMaximus

Jul 30, 2009
It almost sounds like what the Space Marine process does in Warhammer 40k if I must be nerd and drop this, which raises my question....Could I be like a Space Wolf?
If so, then yes.

If not....I'd have to think on it.

Fiend13

Apr 15, 2010
Tommeh Brownleh said:
I can smell the bioshock scenario from a mile away. Plus I'm already mentally superior to everyone I know, and the only way this could work in my view is if we kill the people who sign up for it because obviously they all come from the shallow end of the gene pool.
First of all the second part has been used as a invocation to either genocide or euthanasia in almost these exact words (stating such a thing is illegal in every democratic country of the world btw) so you might wanna rephrase that. Also just out of curiosity: how do you determine 'mental superiority'?

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Selway said:
There seems to be this assumption that you're going to end up looking like something out of an anime rather than say this [http://www.brookstreetpictures.com/jackbrooks/press/photos/Kristyn-Butcher-as-Mutant-Janice-in-Jack-Brooks-Monster-Slayer.jpg] guy. The premise is that you become physically and mentally better, no one said pretty, pretty nekos one and all. Some of the things we've done just with plants genetically is misguided enough. Look into Monsanto a bit, they basically want to patent forms of life. Whether it's over blow or not it doesn't make them any less douchey. Now imagine what the company that made the serum might be like, especially if it's free.
Thats unfair clearly you would look like http://www.waveish.com/iwave/images/37/o-the-dark-crystal-skeksil-the-chamberlain-action-figure.jpg . Im thinking thats come sort of majestic eagle. Did you know an eagle is a carrion bird?

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Absolutely disgusting. There is already a huge social inequality gap in the developed world. Something like this would only serve to widen it even further. People would be denied opportunities becuase they could not afford to purchase this serum. People would be incapable of doing as much as those who were fortunate enough to get the wealth needed to acquire it. Some people will merely use the serum to make up for their own lack of effort. Such a thing will only bring problems to our society, and thus must not be used.
Sure. And let's burn all computers while we're at it. And cars. And hospitals. For fairness. If somebody can't have an advantage, nobody should.

That line of reasoning condemns the use of any costly practical tool. Another problem with that reasoning is that many of these tools can be harnessed to aid the have-nots too. Farmers in Africa use cellphones to negotiate deals for their crops, as one example.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Harkwell said:
On my way home today I had thought pop into my head. It has to do with furries but its not nessesarily restricted to them. Here goes.

Alright so a research company comes up with a serum and releases it this year. The company itself is not important, the serum itself is not important. If you have to ask, the company made the serum for the betterment of humanity.

What the serum does is improve your mental and physical prowess above that of a normal human. However, we're being realistic here. Your not Captian America, but the average serum user is equal in brains to a smart human. A genius user will always be smarter than a genius non-user. If you have never been able to lift a car, well now you can alibet only a foot or two. You can work longer, harder, faster, better, and stronger.

However, the serum does this by combining animal traits with human traits producing animal-human hybrids, the aforemention furry part. Using the serum turns you into a furry (assuming there are multiple types of serums for people who want a specific hybrid, one for a fox-human, wolf-human, etc...)

Obviously the person who uses it is going to face a lot of social problems, discrimination prominently. Honestly, I'd do it. Discrimination be damned I'd probably be smarter than all my co-workers, score one promotion for me.
Well, let's see. What member of the animal kingdom is known for brains? Oh yeah, the human. So the potion would make me a more humany human?
Sure, no problem.
Maybe I'll use my newfound powers to hunt down and eradicate furries.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
Selway said:
There seems to be this assumption that you're going to end up looking like something out of an anime rather than say this [http://www.brookstreetpictures.com/jackbrooks/press/photos/Kristyn-Butcher-as-Mutant-Janice-in-Jack-Brooks-Monster-Slayer.jpg] guy. The premise is that you become physically and mentally better, no one said pretty, pretty nekos one and all. Some of the things we've done just with plants genetically is misguided enough. Look into Monsanto a bit, they basically want to patent forms of life. Whether it's over blown or not it doesn't make them any less douchey. Now imagine what the company that made the serum might be like, especially if it's free.
There's no way an abomination like that would have such a perfectly shaped human nose in real life.

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
Never I will "sell my soul" to such an inhumane proposition. So I suppose I would participate in or even lead the charge to exterminate said company and said wannabe "Ubermenschen".

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Pinstar said:
I fail to see a downside.
OK maybe one.

Say I took the serum and turned into a raccoon and my wife took it and turned into, say, an arctic fox. Would we be able to have another child together? Or would our one son be it. If we gave him the serum, would he turn into some sort of fox/raccoon hybrid or something else entirely?
You would be as sterile as a mule.

Feb 2, 2011
Isn't this just ADAM with Fur? If you played bioshock, you can see how this ends. But instead of giving you insanity, it gives you fur and cat ears. Or something like that.