Gabe Newell thinks Windows 8 will be a catastrophe?

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
I actually agree,Microsoft's approach of forcing people to buy their new shite is infuriating, and I think Windows 8 will be the next Vista release, and I have tried the consumer preview on dual boot, it may start up quickly(Although that may be from my SSD) the UI is an absolute nightmare for someone who has never used a smart phone, and the amount of corporate pandering makes me want to retch, the store drives me to suicide, and the social-network forced user friendly bullshit prevented me from doing anything advanced apart from arranging those fucking tiles.
Also, why do companies keep trying to convince people that ''apps'' are the future?for fucks sake, they are the same old programs and application we've had since the dawn of computing, why are you trying to sell my an identical car to the one I already have,just in a different color?
Luckily, My brother knows how to code Linux really well,and I'm trying to learn, so maybe I have a chance in living in this corporate and social networky bullshit virtual life nowadays.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
WoW Killer said:
I'm still using XP. And I'm still waiting for a valid reason to use anything else. Will there be any point to 8? Like does do anything XP doesn't that would justify the massive system hogging that would accompany it?
Support more than 8gb ram?

I was using XP up until this build, on which I got windows 7 through uni. It's actually not bad at all.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
9thRequiem said:
One thing to remember, is that Gabe has a terrible track record when it comes to change. Remember when he called the PS3 a waste of time, and that it'd be a disaster? Sure Gabe.

xXSnowyXx said:
I've already installed the Windows 8 release preview and from what I can tell it's nothing like that. It has optional integration with your live account that can save your Windows settings in the cloud, and there was an Xbox Live app in the new start menu but since I don't have an Xbox I right click->uninstall and it's completely gone. Other than that it is basically Windows 7 with a new start menu (which is basically like the homescreen on an android phone right down to the possibility of live gadgets and a shortcut to the full list of programs) and everything else still works the same as before, though there are a few additional features (mounting images natively is the bomb, closing off things my ass) and a different looking lock screen. Gaben needs to try it for himself before passing judgement.
Agreed - W8 is basically W7, with a few tweaks.
I think it will be a big deal for gamers, because it gives access to DX10/11, and it's a very cheap upgrade from XP.
Very cheap? It's no more cheaper than upgrading from Vista or 7. Why is upgrading from XP to 8 "Very cheap"?

Yes though, it's Windows 7 with a new Start Menu which is only good because the Win 7 start menu was a downgrade. I preferred the cascading lists in All Programs to the inline lists. In the end though, that Start Menu isn't worth $120 or whatever Microsoft is charging to upgrade.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
TheSniperFan said:
dnazeri said:
Performance wise they are not identical in the slightest. Windows 8 is much faster than Windows 7, let alone XP. XP's WPF performance alone makes the switch worth it, hell even Vista was. For an accurate speed test see http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp
The biggest bullshit about the performance of Windows 8 is their Startup- and Shutdown-times.
Google a bit. Windows 8 doesn't shut down or start up. It only goes into a form of hibernation and later resumes. If you disable this via registry, the performance gains are gone.
Other than that the performance increases are nice.
But wait!
The filesystem got slower again?
They messed up NTFS even more than it already is. How is that even possible?
Mine shuts down completely and yes, it takes just as long to boot up as Win 7. It tries to trick you on shutdown though, it kills the video right away making you think that it shut down in 2 seconds but it really takes another 10 or so seconds to turn the computer off which is no faster than 7.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Crono1973 said:
9thRequiem said:
One thing to remember, is that Gabe has a terrible track record when it comes to change. Remember when he called the PS3 a waste of time, and that it'd be a disaster? Sure Gabe.

xXSnowyXx said:
I've already installed the Windows 8 release preview and from what I can tell it's nothing like that. It has optional integration with your live account that can save your Windows settings in the cloud, and there was an Xbox Live app in the new start menu but since I don't have an Xbox I right click->uninstall and it's completely gone. Other than that it is basically Windows 7 with a new start menu (which is basically like the homescreen on an android phone right down to the possibility of live gadgets and a shortcut to the full list of programs) and everything else still works the same as before, though there are a few additional features (mounting images natively is the bomb, closing off things my ass) and a different looking lock screen. Gaben needs to try it for himself before passing judgement.
I think it will be a big deal for gamers, because it gives access to DX10/11, and it's a very cheap upgrade from XP.
Very cheap? It's no more cheaper than upgrading from Vista or 7. Why is upgrading from XP to 8 "Very cheap"?

Yes though, it's Windows 7 with a new Start Menu which is only good because the Win 7 start menu was a downgrade. I preferred the cascading lists in All Programs to the inline lists. In the end though, that Start Menu isn't worth $120 or whatever Microsoft is charging to upgrade.
Sorry, poor wording on my part.
I meant, it's a cheap way for people currently on XP to be able to run DX10/11; Vista and 7 users don't really need the upgrade (although if you're on Vista, you really should). At $39.99 for Pro, it's a LOT cheaper than either of the other newer versions.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
9thRequiem said:
Crono1973 said:
9thRequiem said:

xXSnowyXx said:

I meant, it's a cheap way for people currently on XP to be able to run DX10/11; Vista and 7 users don't really need the upgrade (although if you're on Vista, you really should). At $39.99 for Pro, it's a LOT cheaper than either of the other newer versions.
Wait, it's only $39.99 to upgrade from Vista to Win 8?

I just looked it up, $39.99 to upgrade from XP, Vista and 7 to Win 8 Pro. That's probably worth it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
cotss2012 said:
Crono1973 said:
9thRequiem said:
Crono1973 said:
9thRequiem said:

xXSnowyXx said:

Wait, it's only $39.99 to upgrade from Vista to Win 8?

I just looked it up, $39.99 to upgrade from XP, Vista and 7 to Win 8 Pro. That's probably worth it.
Upgrading to linux is $0.00

[/quote]

Downgrading to Linux should be $0.00.

Sorry but Linux is a pain in the ass or atleast it was the last time I tried to use it a couple of years ago.

I'll stick with Windows 7 or maybe upgrade for $40.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
In the immortal words of a dev on the Win 8 team: "our management is fucking insane", apparently the playing jailer with Xbox got them jonesing for more, why not lock it all down people seem to like it...
All I've read about win 8 sofar looks like it's racking up as Vista 2.0, but I'm sure Win 9 will be pretty decent.

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
Until anyone brings up a single valid reason for me to switch from 7 to 8, I will henceforth be jamming my fingers in my ears shouting BLAH BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA at any mention of the new OS

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Suki_ said:
Nazulu said:
No, they're everywhere. I have no doubt more probably hate it now than like it. At least I see it everywhere.
No its just that the people who like CoD are generally to busy enjoying games to give a fuck what a bunch of winey little cunts think
Spoken like a true COD player.