Gabe Newell thinks Windows 8 will be a catastrophe?

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Newell is a jackass to put it bluntly.

Firstly, Valve have not made a new game engine for almost a decade now thus it would come as no surprise if they were all in need of a few refresher courses/being brought up-to-date with modern programming.

Secondly, he has said such extreme comments which have only resulted in him kissing ass and admitting to being wrong a few years down the line - Portal 2 announcement at Sonys conference.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
jawakiller said:
8 is gonna be scary. Why? It looks like the layout of a touch screen, that's why. So fuck Microsoft and thank god I have a solid understanding of Linux.
8 is fine. Metro can be easily ignored. Underneath is the Vista/7 shell with some improvements.

MrBoBo said:
Microsofts idea of pc gaming is bejeweled and farmville. They do not care about the hardcore gamer or desktop pc's. They would rather you wentout and bought an xbox.
Wow. Just wow.

PingoBlack said:
I agree with Gabe on this one.

Windows 8 for some reason is the very first Windows where users do not get a fallback UI. Hell, even in Win7 you could fallback to Win2000 UI, at least for most part.
Uh, in Vista you could, not in 7. You're fucked in 7 if you don't like the changes Vista introduced. 8 is very much the same in that you cannot get a classic start menu without a third party tool.

UI changes are dramatic enough that they break apps. Win Vista to Win 7 most stuff worked, Win8 this does not seem to be the case judging from beta tests of some more recent games.
I call shenanigans until you show which games, because the changes are simply not that dramatic.

Unless Microsoft brings windows and mouse click UI back
Good news! They didn't get rid of it! You obviously haven't used 8. You really should try it.

Perhaps game developers will look into porting all their graphics to GL or similar tech ... And they have until Win9 release to do it, as Win7 will go away then. Guess that's Gabe's message to developers. If MS doesn't change tune, lets all get ready to move to Ubuntu/Android instead.
Haha OpenGL.

XeroDesign

May 31, 2011
cotss2012 said:
Mr.K. said:
In the immortal words of a dev on the Win 8 team: "our management is fucking insane"
I assume you have links to the sauce?
Here's a link (http://www.amazon.com/Daves-Original-Insanity-Hot-Sauce/dp/B0000DID5R)

:D

My $0.02 on OP: Yes. It does sound like the Gabe PS3 freakout, which means that soon enough, Windows 8 will be getting all his love. I'm kinda worried that Microsoft might be heading for the Walled Garden approach, but hopefully they won't do it as bad as Apple. The point of the new OS seems to be the development of common software between PCs and mobile devices. If they somehow find a way for the next Xbox to join that party, this "catastrophe" can turn into the biggest success Microsoft has ever had.

evilneko said:
jawakiller said:
Haha OpenGL.
So, basically, "Haha" every game ever made for the PS3?

Prosis

May 5, 2011
GZGoten said:
Gabe thinks everything is a catastrophe!
Which explains why there is no Half Life 3. It's better to just leave the series as it is than risk ruining it.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Crono1973 said:
9thRequiem said:
One thing to remember, is that Gabe has a terrible track record when it comes to change. Remember when he called the PS3 a waste of time, and that it'd be a disaster? Sure Gabe.

xXSnowyXx said:
I've already installed the Windows 8 release preview and from what I can tell it's nothing like that. It has optional integration with your live account that can save your Windows settings in the cloud, and there was an Xbox Live app in the new start menu but since I don't have an Xbox I right click->uninstall and it's completely gone. Other than that it is basically Windows 7 with a new start menu (which is basically like the homescreen on an android phone right down to the possibility of live gadgets and a shortcut to the full list of programs) and everything else still works the same as before, though there are a few additional features (mounting images natively is the bomb, closing off things my ass) and a different looking lock screen. Gaben needs to try it for himself before passing judgement.
Agreed - W8 is basically W7, with a few tweaks.
I think it will be a big deal for gamers, because it gives access to DX10/11, and it's a very cheap upgrade from XP.
Very cheap? It's no more cheaper than upgrading from Vista or 7. Why is upgrading from XP to 8 "Very cheap"?

Yes though, it's Windows 7 with a new Start Menu which is only good because the Win 7 start menu was a downgrade. I preferred the cascading lists in All Programs to the inline lists. In the end though, that Start Menu isn't worth $120 or whatever Microsoft is charging to upgrade.
Its cheaper because MS are offering it at a super cheap price if you upgrade from a previous legit copy of a OS for a limited time (from release in Oct to Jan/Feb 2013) and by super cheap I mean like $40 cheap

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/microsoft-announces-super-cheap-windows-8-upgrade-promotion-1087746

Also if you are forced to have win 8 because of a new PC ect then look no futher than Stardock, Brad Wardell has come out with start8 which restores the start button to win 8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Indecently Wardell thinks windows 8 is a disaster waiting to happen and he is a Microsoft approved software developer.

http://draginol.joeuser.com/article/418854/Windows_8_Beta_is_a_UI_nightmare

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Tharwen said:
evilneko said:
Performance wise, 8 and XP are virtually identical. So no "massive system hogging" here.
Wait... really? How?
Seriously. I've been using 8 on my laptop for weeks. It's no slower than XP (which was on the laptop previously) and possibly somewhat faster. I've also tried 7 on both my laptop and desktop (back when it was in RC stage, and also comparing to both XP32 and XP64) with much the same result (no noticeable gain or loss). On my hardware, XP, 7, and 8 are all pretty much the same though I might say 8 is slightly faster (and oddly enough, less annoying). It sure as hell isn't slower (*coughcough*Vista*cough*).

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Didn't you get the memo? Gabe is nothing but another goon for the company. There is no system of responsibility here. It's a fucking free for all with no one steering the boat. That's why they haven't made a real game for so many years. They can only try to update dated fps multiplayers trying to catch up with CoD. It's all they know, cuz they have no center.

I long for the days when Valve gave a shit about me.
I can't tell if you're purposefully acting like a moron, or if you're serious. In case of serious, Portal 2. Cave Johnson, we're done here.

OT: Windows 8 is going to be the next vista. Not bad as such, just not very good either, perfectly workable OS that you have no real reason to switch to. But, frankly I'm glad Gabe wants to move to Linux, and I say this as a windows fan. Means Microsoft might actually have to step up their game rather than letting things stagnate as they have been (Proof being in the pudding, Win 8 flavoured pudding.)

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Sober Thal said:
Still using XP here.

That being said, why should I care what Gabe (valve drone) has to say about anything?
do you like the idea of every game using games for windows live?

do you want to start paying console prices for pc games?

do you want to keep on using firefox/chrome?

do you use itunes or youtube or any online service?

do you like having a choice in what media player to use? what email system to use? which IM program to use?

then you should care

every single thing from program and games to apps exists because windows has been open. the minute windows 8 closes that no one will be able to use windows to do anything without paying for a licence and MS can choose who they give that licence to.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
zumbledum said:
Microsoft certainly has its moments of anti-consumerism, but their goal is still ultimately making money. Would locking the system to this degree earn them money? No. Therefore it will never happen.

Still, though, I can see them locking the system to a certain degree, even trying to push it as far as possible. However, if this were to happen, and Linux finally starts getting some real support from ATI/nVidia, then I can see people migrating to Linux.
[sub]I can dream, can't I?[/sub]

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
EternalFacepalm said:
zumbledum said:
Microsoft certainly has its moments of anti-consumerism, but their goal is still ultimately making money. Would locking the system to this degree earn them money? No. Therefore it will never happen.

Still, though, I can see them locking the system to a certain degree, even trying to push it as far as possible. However, if this were to happen, and Linux finally starts getting some real support from ATI/nVidia, then I can see people migrating to Linux.
[sub]I can dream, can't I?[/sub]
It sounds like locking the system would make it more like a console. So, did they make money on the 360 and it's closed nature?

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Crono1973 said:
It sounds like locking the system would make it more like a console. So, did they make money on the 360 and it's closed nature?
That is something different entirely. When consumers bought the X360, they expected it to play video games. And that it did. When consumers buy an operating system, they expect it to perform functions such as browsing the Internet, writing documents, etc. People do not consider consoles computers, and therefore do not expect to be able to perform such things on one.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
EternalFacepalm said:
Crono1973 said:
That is something different entirely. When consumers bought the X360, they expected it to play video games. And that it did. When consumers buy an operating system, they expect it to perform functions such as browsing the Internet, writing documents, etc. People do not consider consoles computers, and therefore do not expect to be able to perform such things on one.
What people expect is irrelevant. People did not expect to watch TV on a game console before this gen either but it happened. People who have become used to the restriction of consoles (which they now use daily to watch Netflix and TV) may adapt just fine.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Crono1973 said:
What people expect is irrelevant. People did not expect to watch TV on a game console before this gen either but it happened. People who have become used to the restriction of consoles (which they now use daily to watch Netflix and TV) may adapt just fine.
I reckon most that own the X360 use it to play video games, making those watching Netflix and TV a minority. Currently, Windows' userbase is the majority, and Microsoft wants to keep it that way. This won't happen if they lock it down to the degree that a console is locked down.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
zumbledum said:
Sober Thal said:
Still using XP here.

That being said, why should I care what Gabe (valve drone) has to say about anything?
do you like the idea of every game using games for windows live?
I don't really care either way, actually.

do you want to start paying console prices for pc games?
Console and PC games are both 60 bucks at release excepting special editions, then gradually go down from there. So... we kinda are.

do you want to keep on using firefox/chrome?
Not particularly, no. Opera fan here. ;)

do you use itunes or youtube or any online service?
*shudders* itunes...
But yes I use youtube. What does this have to do with Gabe Newell spouting off unjustified bullshit?

do you like having a choice in what media player to use? what email system to use? which IM program to use?
Why yes, and I will continue to have that choice no matter if Gabe Newell vomits or not.

then you should care
You've not made a very good case yet.

every single thing from program and games to apps exists because windows has been open. the minute windows 8 closes that no one will be able to use windows to do anything without paying for a licence and MS can choose who they give that licence to.
Windows 8 is not going to break any of the things you listed.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
EternalFacepalm said:
Crono1973 said:
I reckon most that own the X360 use it to play video games, making those watching Netflix and TV a minority. Currently, Windows' userbase is the majority, and Microsoft wants to keep it that way. This won't happen if they lock it down to the degree that a console is locked down.
No, it's actually the other way around. Microsoft announced not to long ago that most people use their 360 to watch Netflix and other TV I believe. I'll try to find it. Here you go:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/27/more-people-use-xbox-360-for-entertainment-than-online-gaming.aspx

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Well. It looks like I'll need to upgrade my 5 years old Vista system to one that runs 7 before the horribleness that is Windows 8 taints PC with its presence.