Gaddafi is dead

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Ranooth said:
orangeban said:
Well, if this is true, then he should of gotten a proper trial and imprisonment.
That was never going to happen, even if he was captured someone would've sneaked in and put a bullet in his head.
Not necessarily. They may have wanted to put him on trial, but garunteed the only outcome that Gadhafi would've got was the 'short drop with the sudden stop'.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sneaky-Pie said:
What a shame.

He was this close to making General.
Ironically, his last words were "I'm five days from retirement."

I'm a little skeptical as to his capture still. We've "caught" and "killed" him before, and it's never got us anywhere. Either he's a Batman villain, or it's best to wait for the hype to die down and THEN look at the scenario.

kitetsu said:
I'm sorry, but I don't see that ever working. Like I said, I have zero trust in the justice system, and I don't see how rotting in prison powered by justice instead of being locked up in a torture chamber with a psychotic monster clown would do anything.
For one thing, the latter would make him a martyr instantly.

It's amazing how we chomp at the bit to turn monsters into folk heroes.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
My thoughts about this topic are best explained in this webcomic (last two rows to be exact) :

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/mZPtIxLJX53s5OQ61YB.gif

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Athol said:
Not necessarily. They may have wanted to put him on trial, but garunteed the only outcome that Gadhafi would've got was the 'short drop with the sudden stop'.
Gadhafi had too much to say about the other leaders he was buddy-buddy with until the turn of convenience hit. I have SERIOUS trouble believing a man who could make our (world) leaders look so bad would ever make it to a trial he could use as a forum to speak those horrible truths.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
"A number of high ranking Gaddafi officials are also reported to have been caught including his spokesman Moussa Ibrahim and his cousin Ahmed Ibrahim. "We hope that we are catching some big names so we can put them in the court and let the people have the last word on their fate," Shamman said."

Reported by the guardian. Seems the commanders of the rebels were ordering captures of officials rather than executions. The soldiers are hardly professional and let their emotions get the better of them when they found him I guess.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
kitetsu said:
I'm sorry, but I don't see that ever working. Like I said, I have zero trust in the justice system, and I don't see how rotting in prison powered by justice instead of being locked up in a torture chamber with a psychotic monster clown would do anything.

I got that already, man.

Now how do we know putting him in a trial of justice would succeed if there's the possibility of failure by whatever means? Like turning the bloody procedure into some educational program on corruption?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It shouldn't matter how he died or if he suffered, so long as the tyrant is out of power.
A public trial would just amount to a political Dog and Pony Show; a cute display of "justice" but Gaddafi would have been killed all the same.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
kitetsu said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
kitetsu said:

I got that already, man.

Now how do we know putting him in a trial of justice would succeed if there's the possibility of failure by whatever means? Like turning the bloody procedure into some educational program on corruption?
Unfortunately that is one of the necessary risks of the justice system, sometimes guilty people go free. But that is no reason to say, "Screw justice, it might get it wrong, I'll just cap him *BLAM*"

What makes Gaddafi an exception? What makes him so undeserving of a trial, but others deserving?

Gauntes

Jun 22, 2009
it feels strange that the only thing I can pay attention to is the golden Hi-power and how much I want it as a collection

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
If true; great, maybe the followers of him will finally put down the weapons and start to work with the Libyan people.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
orangeban said:
Unfortunately that is one of the necessary risks of the justice system, sometimes guilty people go free. But that is no reason to say, "Screw justice, it might get it wrong, I'll just cap him *BLAM*"

What makes Gaddafi an exception? What makes him so undeserving of a trial, but others deserving?
I said I have no trust in the justice system. I don't think *anyone* like Gaddafi deserves a trial if it means, "A public trial would just amount to a political Dog and Pony Show; a cute display of "justice"", as Atmos put it.

I especially will NOT put my rifle down and wait for the pretty men in paladin suits to come to make an arrest while I'm being shot at left and right, with no choice but to shoot my way out. There's tons of other people who prefer to end wars using a bouquet of pretty flowers and picketing signs. I'm not one of them.

Explicted

Feb 19, 2005
Well i hope this is just another piece of propaganda, but if hes really dead then all i can say is that world lost another genius ruler, makes you wonder if theres any justice in this world if some people can screw up whole country just because that country ruler does not agree with them, or if they can profit from his death.

Well at least they will never get China and Russia is pretty safe too.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Explicted said:
Well i hope this is just another piece of propaganda, but if hes really dead then all i can say is that world lost another genius ruler, makes you wonder if theres any justice in this world if some people can screw up whole country just because that country ruler does not agree with them, or if they can profit from his death.

dantoddd said:
Well let's hope people remember him for more than his tyranny.
Not sure if trolling or serious... :/

Gaddafi has done a multitude of terrible things over the length of his time in power, hence his own people led this uprising.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Haven't learned of any details surrounding this news. But one thing I don't like is how they keep showing that photo everywhere. It's a bit too explicit/gory (imho) to show without warning the viewer in advance.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Explicted said:

"Genius ruler"? Seriously? That guy was a dictator! Okay, so he quoted Rousseau a bunch of times and he made his visits to the UN feel like a circus act, but beyond that, what has he concretely done that's good for Lybia? He'd started gunning civilians down in the streets, back in May! How can you honestly endorse a guy like that?

I just, I'm sorry. My mind is absolutely blown right now.

Also, just for the record, neither the US or the UK have confirmed that he's dead. This all comes from one guy in NATO. I'm pretty sure he *is* dead, seeing as the civilians are pretty much jumping for joy in Libya right now, but I'd wait for a confirmation before either cheering or lamenting his loss or whatever.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Well, I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it here again: a new regime's first test is how they deal with the previous ruler. In that measure, the rebels failed that test miserably.

Still, all the best for them, and I wish them a prosperous future.

999realthings

Jun 23, 2011
Hmmm, he was already losing power but hopefully this dealt a powerful blow and Libya can re-stablize themselves