Gaddafi is dead

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Gaddafi was apparently found in a hole by a fighter, and was injured. He is now apparently dead, though all this is yet to be independently verified.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15389550

Thoughts?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Well, if this is true, then he should of gotten a proper trial and imprisonment.

Hopefully Libya can start sorting itself out now.

ALSO: Gaddafi had a golden gun? That's pretty pimp.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
This is pretty good, it hopefully means that the Libyans can start establishing a non-dictatorship based rule.

I'm loathe to say democratic, because I have no idea how they want to rule their own country.

Gaddafi looked pretty messed up though.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
orangeban said:
Well, if this is true, then he should of gotten a proper trial and imprisonment.
That was never going to happen, even if he was captured someone would've sneaked in and put a bullet in his head.

Good luck to Libya, I hope they can now start to re-build. I wanna know whats going to happen to that golden gun, looked pretty awesome!

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Took them long enough, although the Guardian did treat me to some pretty gruesome images of his body.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Ranooth said:
orangeban said:
That was never going to happen, even if he was captured someone would've sneaked in and put a bullet in his head.
Perhaps not, but that doesn't change the fact that it should of happened.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Great, hopefully this time it won't lead to another power struggle where our soldiers spend 8 years fruitlessly trying to maintain stability in the country like that last middle eastern kurfuffle we got ourselves into.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
Elmoth said:
Just as with Bin Laden I think someone shouldn't sink to his level and kill him without question, but be the better man and decide in court what is just. However, it is still better for the world that this mad man is dead. But if he is dead that means the rebels now have one hell of job to get the country back in order, I'd think.
I'm sorry, but this is what Lawful Stupids would do. Gaddafi's killed enough people to fill a small town, and getting capped by an angry gunman doesn't make that angry gunman as much of a villain as Gaddafi is. That's like arresting someone in a battlefield just because said someone killed another who tried to kill this poor someone for whatever reason, purely out of trying to goddamn survive.

Neither Justice nor Nature can kill someone like Gaddafi fast enough.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
kitetsu said:
Elmoth said:
Just as with Bin Laden I think someone shouldn't sink to his level and kill him without question, but be the better man and decide in court what is just. However, it is still better for the world that this mad man is dead. But if he is dead that means the rebels now have one hell of job to get the country back in order, I'd think.
I'm sorry, but this is what Lawful Stupids would do. Gaddafi's killed enough people to fill a small town, and getting capped by an angry gunman doesn't make that angry gunman as much of a villain as Gaddafi is.
No, no it would not sink the gunmen to the same level as Gaddafi, but I ask you this, what is the point of having a justice system, if when you find a bona-fide criminal, you don't actually use the bloody justice system?

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
orangeban said:
kitetsu said:
Elmoth said:
I'm sorry, but this is what Lawful Stupids would do. Gaddafi's killed enough people to fill a small town, and getting capped by an angry gunman doesn't make that angry gunman as much of a villain as Gaddafi is.
No, no it would not sink the gunmen to the same level as Gaddafi, but I ask you this, what is the point of having a justice system, if when you find a bona-fide criminal, you don't actually use the bloody justice system?
Your guess is as good as mine. I have absolutely zero trust in it myself.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Well, this certainly doesn't help Libya's "democratic" system. Capturing and putting Gaddafi on trial would have been a great opportunity to prove to the world that Libya will be a better country than when it was under dictatorial rule. Instead, Gaddafi was killed, apparently while he was trying to surrender, according to The Telegraph.

As Commander Shepard would say: "Is that your idea of due process?"

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
orangeban said:
Ranooth said:
orangeban said:
Perhaps not, but that doesn't change the fact that it should of happened.
'Should have'

It seems he was just shot by angry citizens, not a trialled execution or mass-made decision, but the work of maybe just one man.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Assimilate him first into your ideology and then do what you want with him. Not only would he not be a martyr, but his ideals could die. But now, we're going to have people uphold his cause and see him as a hero. Oh, well.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Give him a trial and the verdict is forgone conclusion (just as it was with Osama). If the prosecution asks for the death penalty he'd end-up just as dead as he is now. This way is just more expedient.

And for the record I would have rather seen Osama captured than shot. Not because he deserved a trial (we all know he was guilty as fuck) but just so he could rot away in prison while Al-Qaeda falls apart and all his hopes come to nothing. Let him live long enough to become irrelevant
I'm sorry, but I don't see that ever working. Like I said, I have zero trust in the justice system, and I don't see how rotting in prison powered by justice instead of being locked up in a torture chamber with a psychotic monster clown would do anything.