Game Articles and Videos Thread

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
This may have been in the article and I just missed it, but I wonder if part of the bad press came from it being one of the more recognized big games coming out that year and it being exclusive to PlayStation (until this year) kind of set it up to be on the chopping block for some people.
Not to be THAT guy, but the people that wrote some of the things I mentioned above tend to be the ones that go out of their way to be outraged about certain things in games media. It being exclusive had very little do with that.

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
Not to be THAT guy, but the people that wrote some of the things I mentioned above tend to be the ones that go out of their way to be outraged about certain things in games media. It being exclusive had very little do with that.
Gotcha, that makes sense, I wasn’t 100% if exclusivity was part of it so that clears it up a bit. Thanks Nick

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Do note though that unlike him, I do like both God of War 4 and Devil May Cry 5. I do favor DMC 5 more, but I've always been a bigger DMC fan, than a God of War fan. He still does bring up a good point.

Sonic is still way past cool.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Do note though that unlike like him, I do like both God of War 4 and Devil May Cry 5. I do favor DMC 5 more, but I'm always been a bigger DMC fan, than a God of War fan. He still does bring up a good point.

I saw this below that one and recall understanding what they meant by it, but there’s no denying the tone and delivery in the new game is more deliberate and committed. I do think the older games’ mature messages were too overshadowed by a more juvenile presentation though, and it’s unfortunate.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do think the older games’ mature messages were too overshadowed by a more juvenile presentation though, and it’s unfortunate.
The first game had a(n attempt) of a message. II was just "Revenge good; Zeus and Gods are worse than Kratos!". III likes to pretend to have a message, but comes off as hypocritical and deaf tone. Kratos is treated as the lesser evil compared to the Olympians, but he's actually much worse in context or by comparison. I loved GoW4 so much precisely, because Kratos finally learned his lesson!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The first game had a(n attempt) of a message. II was just "Revenge good; Zeus and Gods are worse than Kratos!"
I'm not sure 2 really knows what it wanted to say other then "BLOOD!"

Yeah, Kratos was a fucking dick as the God of War but who put him in that position? Oh, that's right, Athena.

It's almost like making a bloodthirsty psychopath the God of War is a BAD IDEA. 2 and 3 pretty much have the problem is that there's nobody really likable in the cast because everyone is a giant dick. Which, sure, is very Olympian god of them, but still.....

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Sony’s been busy lately, promoting a system that’s still not readily available to the masses

Also, it looks like Returnal might be the first real full game that takes advantage of this stuff -

Last edited:

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada

I have not played cyberpunk and only seen a few live streams like the one Yahtzee/Jack/Nick did but one of the statements in the article really stands out to me.

“I don't really feel like the players and the journalists fully, completely understand how difficult it was to make this game”

I feel like this statement is a bit self-serving, I freely admit however that I don’t know what kind of work goes into things like coding and pathfinding AI etc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seraphim17's God of War walkthroughs. For GOW III, I put the video at part 5, because the other 4 are nothing but ambient music and no commentating.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I have not played cyberpunk and only seen a few live streams like the one Yahtzee/Jack/Nick did but one of the statements in the article really stands out to me.

“I don't really feel like the players and the journalists fully, completely understand how difficult it was to make this game”

I feel like this statement is a bit self-serving, I freely admit however that I don’t know what kind of work goes into things like coding and pathfinding AI etc.
I get the impression he meant that they had things like “corporate asshats” and “shareholders” forcing their hand into doing something(s) incredibly stupid this time around, on top of normal game development struggles.

We need to bring back the days when those kinds of idiots were shamed publicly, because barring taking away their salaries that’s probably the only thing that will incite change.

Reactions: Sora383