Game Articles and Videos Thread

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada

You would think there would be at least one person who works with a judge/court who knew how to setup zoom, though zoom issues seem to be this year’s “not knowing your fly is down in public” situation.

when it comes to costs and stuff I knew Apple took a percentage but I wasn’t fully aware that it was 30%

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

You would think there would be at least one person who works with a judge/court who knew how to setup zoom, though zoom issues seem to be this year’s “not knowing your fly is down in public” situation.

when it comes to costs and stuff I knew Apple took a percentage but I wasn’t fully aware that it was 30%

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You tell them, Jim!

Oh boy, it’s pretty awesome to see Jim representing some Killzone again. Unfortunately he’s kinda wrong about none of the Metacritic stuff mattering.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh boy, it’s pretty awesome to see Jim representing some Killzone again. Unfortunately he’s kinda wrong about none of the Metacritic stuff mattering.

The problem with metacritic is that so many triple A publishers put it on such a high impossible pedestal to begin with. Giving bonuses just for arbitrary reasons. Oh you were just one point below a 85, no bonus for you then. But us bosses will happily suck up all the money we know we don't need. Even if the game sold gangbusters numbers, but the review scores weren't high enough. They only matter because the ones in charge make them matter just to be bullies or a sense of self empowerment. So in essence, while metacritic can be useful, it doesn't matter for a good amount of things; especially for those that abuse the system.

Last edited:

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
The problem with metacritic is that so many triple A publishers put it on such a high impossible pedestal to begin with. Giving bonuses just for arbitrary reasons. Oh you were just one point below a 85, no bonus for you then. But us bosses will happily suck up all the money we know we don't need. Even if the game sold gangbusters numbers, but the review scores weren't high enough. They only matter because the ones in charge make them matter just to be bullies or a sense of self empowerment. Selling essence, while metacritic can be useful, it doesn't matter for a good amount of things; especially for those that abuse the system.
Critical reception matter, you do not want to be a trend killer by producing flops. Look at how Compile Heart and PSVita tanked the reputation of Japanese games that the new CEO effectively abandoned the niche Japanese game market.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Critical reception matter, you do not want to be a trend killer by producing flops. Look at how Compile Heart and PSVita tanked the reputation of Japanese games that the new CEO effectively abandoned the niche Japanese game market.
Minor exceptions at best, but not the majority. The ends don't justify the means. And keep your Japanese niche game hate boner to yourself.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The problem with metacritic is that so many triple A publishers put it on such a high impossible pedestal to begin with. Giving bonuses just for arbitrary reasons. Oh you were just one point below a 85, no bonus for you then. But us bosses will happily suck up all the money we know we don't need. Even if the game sold gangbusters numbers, but the review scores weren't high enough. They only matter because the ones in charge make them matter just to be bullies or a sense of self empowerment. Selling essence, while metacritic can be useful, it doesn't matter for a good amount of things; especially for those that abuse the system.
I think most games get pretty high reviews for free nowadays so if anything the issue is that review scores are too high as opposed to being too low and endangering bonuses.

I mean it's pretty ridiculous to assume that just because a game has a high metacritic score that it's any good since games keep getting inflated scores left and right, and it's more of a point of pride by pathetic people who need others to validate their taste in games because they lack the confidence to be secure in the tastes whatever others may think of them.

It's the other side of the coin with the people who attack reviewers for bringing scores down. Both are equally pathetic and are more caught up with what other people think about games and forget that they're supposed to focus on what they think about these games personally themselves. You're not supposed to play games to earn status or acceptance or mainstream validation, if that's what you're looking for go work for the red cross. Games are only just supposed to be enriching, entertaining, fun, cool, sexy, funny, that sort of thing.

The moment you begin to play games in an effort to be an upstanding member of society with acceptable tastes like you're some wine snob you've already lost the plot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think most games get pretty high reviews for free nowadays so if anything the issue is that review scores are too high as opposed to being too low and endangering bonuses.

I mean it's pretty ridiculous to assume that just because a game has a high metacritic score that it's any good since games keep getting inflated scores left and right, and it's more of a point of pride by pathetic people who need others to validate their taste in games because they lack the confidence to be secure in the tastes whatever others may think of them.
This. While what you said is definitely true, some AAA companies still do hand out bonuses based on Metacritic scores. And even with the high scores, they still treat their developers, teams, and programmers like shit, even when they do everything they were told to do.

Agreed.

It's the other side of the coin with the people who attack reviewers for bringing scores down. Both are equally pathetic and are more caught up with what other people think about games and forget that they're supposed to focus on what they think about these games personally themselves. You're not supposed to play games to earn status or acceptance or mainstream validation, if that's what you're looking for go work for the red cross. Games are only just supposed to be enriching, entertaining, fun, cool, sexy, funny, that sort of thing.
Agreed too, though I consider games as art too. The excellent, the great, the good, the decent, the mediocre, and the bad.

The moment you begin to play games in an effort to be an upstanding member of society with acceptable tastes like you're some wine snob you've already lost the plot.
Which is the problem with a lot of gamers, game journalists, and certain gaming personalities or channels on YouTube. They got sticks up their asses and either don't want the consequences of having games become art. Or are so obsessed with trying to please daddy Ebert or Hollywood for acceptance that wonder why these people ever got in to gaming in the first place.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I don’t agree with some of the comments about difficulty though, but to each their own.
When it comes to the subject of difficulty on games, I don't trust most journalists in that regard. Now if a game does have an easy I don't mind, nor will I rage, because someone else is enjoying it. It's their copy of the game, he, she, or they can do what ever the fuck pleases them.