Game Articles and Videos Thread

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I was never much of a follower of Boogie2988 outside of his Francis sketches, but as his self-inflicted decline started to upstage the entertainment value of his content, I had to unsubscribe a couple of years ago; no level of schadenfreude was worth sticking around as this man had a very public collapse. Then this popped up on my feed. Oof, this is a rough watch. As sad and pathetic as this tale is (insofar as any decent person doesn't want to see anyone fail this miserably,) it's hard to feel either sympathy or empathy as you realize he's done (and continues to do) it all to himself.

I'm only tangentially aware of him (and I might have watched one video of his a long time ago), but honestly, I feel as if videos of this are like kicking people while they're down. It's fine for corporations or rich fucktards who had it all and pissed it all away, but for ordinary people (even ordinary people with YouTube channels) it's like rubbernecking at a car wreck.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm only tangentially aware of him (and I might have watched one video of his a long time ago), but honestly, I feel as if videos of this are like kicking people while they're down. It's fine for corporations or rich fucktards who had it all and pissed it all away, but for ordinary people (even ordinary people with YouTube channels) it's like rubbernecking at a car wreck.
I mostly agree that this "documentary" was a bit invasive and makes you feel a bit icky watching, but Boogie agreed to do it because he feeds on attention and pity which are the exact things that drove his following away. He held nothing back, and admits that he's the reason for a lot of his problems. He did piss it all away. He garnered a huge, lucrative following, and a series of heinous and poor decisions on and off camera found him in a place where he's basically living on diminishing paycheck to diminishing paycheck now, and barely managing that. It's a cautionary tale if nothing else.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Not so much a video article as just a preview play...

Because I have the attention span of a brain damaged gnat, I haven't watched much more than a few minutes and then flicked through, but it looks like the character sheet at least is based off the Rogue Trader RPG rules.

The intro looks like everything that puts me off about 40K, although starting as a priest probably amplifies that. The strong indie 3rd person RPG vibes... eh... reminds me of Shadowrun a bit, which was not without it's charms but was something to pass the time at best.

So kind of what I was expecting.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Because I have the attention span of a brain damaged gnat, I haven't watched much more than a few minutes and then flicked through, but it looks like the character sheet at least is based off the Rogue Trader RPG rules.

The intro looks like everything that puts me off about 40K, although starting as a priest probably amplifies that. The strong indie 3rd person RPG vibes... eh... reminds me of Shadowrun a bit, which was not without it's charms but was something to pass the time at best.

Looks decent but I wonder if every CRPG from now on will just suffer from the "BG3 did it better" curse?

@CriticalGaming, @Johnny Novgorod, and @Dalisclock, if you're interested in the Star Ocean 2 Remake.

Star ocean 2 is great, it pretty much carry the entire franchise on its back at this point. There's a good skill system/crafting system, combat are dynamic with a lot of different character fighting style and a steady progression trough the story but with enough time to relax and do side content. Highly recommend and the remake looks well done.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Star Ocean 2 is great, it pretty much carry the entire franchise on its back at this point. There's a good skill system/crafting system, combat are is dynamic with a lot of different character fighting styles and a steady progression trough the story, but with enough time to relax and do side content. Highly recommend and the remake looks well done.
Thank you. I make no promises, but if it's an old-school RPG with modern sensibilities, then SO2R, Live A Live, or Sea of Stars would be one of my choices.

Reactions: meiam

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Looks decent but I wonder if every CRPG from now on will just suffer from the "BG3 did it better" curse?
I'm sure there will be people who say that, but the game's intended audience is very much used to getting niche games from small developers, so "good effort for a small team" is generally appreciated, there have almost always been bigger and better versions of 4OK games so I don't think that's anything new for BG3. It probably won't wow the wider gaming sphere but that's pretty standard and if it's decent it'll probably draw in a few extras.

Personally I'm just not liking what I see and that's partially 4OKs fault, partially the Shadowrun comparison, which I know was a good effort from a small team, they got a great atmosphere, but the rest left me distinctly unfulfilled.

Reactions: BrawlMan and meiam

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Worse than COD Ghosts? Wow, now that is an accomplishment!
Yikes.I never touched Ghosts for a number of reasons but yeah, that's bad.

Honestly, I dropped the series after Infinite Warfare because I could see the handwriting on the wall at that point but still.

I was hoping in the back of my mind that Cold War and the MW reboot trilogy might be a return to form but it sounds like they haven't really learned how to fix themselves.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Rogue trader is made by the same dev that made Pathfinder; KIngmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous so I pretty much expect Rogue Trader to be a 40k variant of those.

Reactions: meiam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, I dropped the series after Infinite Warfare because I could see the handwriting on the wall at that point but still.
I saw the writing on the wall earlier than that with Advance Warfare (I know the game has its defenders) and Black-Ops III. I have not touched a COD since OG MW2 though.

I was hoping in the back of my mind that Cold War and the MW reboot trilogy might be a return to form but it sounds like they haven't really learned how to fix themselves.
I really don't know what people were expecting with remakes nobody asked for, and Cold War only marginally better than Infinite Warfare. I usually don't like wishing for these type of things, but I am glad the COD style military shooter genre died off, so proper FPS and TPS games can take their proper places again.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I saw the writing on the wall earlier than that with Advance Warfare (I know the game has its defenders) and Black-Ops III. I have not touched a COD since OG MW2 though.

I really don't know what people were expecting with remakes nobody asked for, and Cold War only marginally better than Infinite Warfare. I usually don't like wishing for these type of things, but I am glad the COD style military shooter genre died off, so proper FPS and TPS games can take their proper places again.
I'll admit I like AW but also because I view it as a silly James Bond game that's pretending to be a COD game. The fact that Kevin Spacey goes up in front of the UN and says "We're not building WMDs....because we've already built them" is fucking gold. Also the setpieces are fun.

Though in hindsight finding out Kevin Spacey is a creep puts a damper on the fun.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Never heard of this game before but sounds like Cabelas made a horror game without actually trying, partially because it seems to have absolutely no self awarness of what game it was making.

TLDW Cabelas tried to make a Hunting game to appeal to the COD gamers and as a result made a game where you gun down animals by the thousands because EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS TRYING TO KILL YOU FOR NO FUCKING REASON. And occasionally you can just kill a random deer or so because it happened to be withen your cone of vision.

Basically it's like if someone made a video game version of Hitchcock's the Birds but it's an FPS and it's not just the birds that have developed an irrational burning murder hatred towards humanity and you in particular.

So Mandy just leans into how fucking absurd it is. Favorite quote "Wait....are the Baboons Jamming my radio?"

Last edited: