Game Articles and Videos Thread

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Maybe it’s because all these “new gen” games so far are just a texture/resolution upgrade from last gen. Guess we have to wait for GTA6 for that to change.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe it’s because all these “new gen” games so far are just a texture/resolution upgrade from last gen. Guess we have to wait for GTA6 for that to change
I don't understand how thr counsole tech guy for playstation five is surprised that people enjoying or wanting more games at 60fps. The PS1 & PS2 could do it most at the time. I'm not waiting for GTA6 ON ANYTHING. I'm just gonna keep playing games that I enjoy or that are coming out soon.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe it’s because all these “new gen” games so far are just a texture/resolution upgrade from last gen. Guess we have to wait for GTA6 for that to change.
I gotta ask though; what is supposed to change? What generational leap are we still anticipating? We have pretty silky smooth 3D controls now, open-world games are huge (even too huge) and filled with content (even too much content), we have virtual reality, but most people don't care much about it. So what's left for a next-gen console to leap forward in?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I gotta ask though; what is supposed to change? What generational leap are we still anticipating? We have pretty silky smooth 3D controls now, open-world games are huge (even too huge) and filled with content (even too much content), we have virtual reality, but most people don't care much about it. So what's left for a next-gen console to leap forward in?
Well, if any developer figures out how to leverage the power of AI in a creative way I suppose that could enhance the immersion. Maybe the text prompt as an input method could make a comeback? Or more realistically, voice control.

Another way of seeing it is that the highest budget titles take an awful lot of time to develop nowadays (GTA lacks an entry exclusive to the 8th generation; in the 6th generation they released 3 mainline entries) so all the titles that have been slow cooking will be released soon enough; the best version will probably be on the next hardware.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, if any developer figures out how to leverage the power of AI in a creative way I suppose that could enhance the immersion. Maybe the text prompt as an input method could make a comeback? Or more realistically, voice control.
I had thought about a means of incorperating A.I. in games (eventhough I'd mainly want it nowhere near it), and I think a practical and non invasive implementation could be voiced pronounciation of your character name in an RPG. I know Fallout 4 had Codsworth be able to say a load of optional names, but fully voiced names, no matter how weird or stupid, could be awesome.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

A video on how Soulslike games take some influence from stylish action games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, and why stylish hack and slash games are waning in influence in comparison to Soulslikes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
why stylish hack and slash games are waning in influence in comparison to Soulslikes.
@Cicada 5, don't listen to this fucker. I know Electric Underground. This the same guy who tried to heavily downplay and lie about what RE4R accomplished like Crobat did. The stylish action genre is not "waning in influence". If that's the case Devil May Cry 5, Bayonetta 3 No More Heroes III, Hi-Fi Rush, both Norse GoW, Evil West, and Oneechanbara Origin would have failed and none of them did, and are co-existing with each other. Were are not getting into MS's bullshit with HF. All games sold successfully. Zenless Zone Zero just came out and plays nothing like a Souls game. Other than level design, Phantom Blade 0 plays more like Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear Rising than Souls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cicada 5

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I had thought about a means of incorperating A.I. in games (eventhough I'd mainly want it nowhere near it), and I think a practical and non invasive implementation could be voiced pronounciation of your character name in an RPG. I know Fallout 4 had Codsworth be able to say a load of optional names, but fully voiced names, no matter how weird or stupid, could be awesome.
Do many games even allow you to name your own character anymore? If I think back to last year, there's only a handful. Feels like the decline of silent protagonists have also led to the decline of blank canvas characters in games.

Speaking of though, instead of having others pronounce your name, what if they used AI to make your character actually sound like you? Although now that I think about it, definitely falls under "invasive implementation".

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Do many games even allow you to name your own character anymore? If I think back to last year, there's only a handful. Feels like the decline of silent protagonists have also led to the decline of blank canvas characters in games.
RPGs still do, definitely. I actually can't think of an RPG with a character creator that DOESN'T allow players to name their character.

Speaking of though, instead of having others pronounce your name, what if they used AI to make your character actually sound like you? Although now that I think about it, definitely falls under "invasive implementation".
Listening to ones own voice is something I don't think anyone is a fan of, unless ofcourse you're one of those assholes who is. Though just having text-based protagonists actually speak the text through A.I. might be neat too. Though I'd probably tire of it very quickly.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
This is a video covering a topic that I had been hoping to find out more about:

Ever since China became a world player in the economic sphere I had expected them to develop games that cater to local tastes and local laws, where some niche interest would turn out to be a major thing in China. Think of how there are entire animes about Mahjong or how roleplaying games from Japan was considered sufficiently distinct from western roleplaying games that people decided to call them JRPGs. I wanted to know what they'd produce when leaping to the stage and what that would say about the culture, and what could be learnt and brought abroad in some form to enrich those of us not from that country.

This video covers such a phenomenon: Jubensha, or murder mystery game. A sort of scripted role playing game that has taken China by storm where six people are assigned roles and try to keep their face as they try to work through a scenario. Popular enough to beat out karaoke as the most popular social outdoors activity, with both professional venues where one can hire a gamemaster for a session like in Escape-the-room-puzzles or scripted sets that comes in boxes to be bought and played at home. There has also been televised versions with celebrities for public broadcast.

If any Chinese people here (which I think is just @Gyrobot but I can be mistaken) has anything to say about it I'd be curious to find out more.