Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Max, Yovideogames crew, and Justin Wong play a few games available on the Marvel VS Capcom Collection. This was on the Twitch EVO stream yesterday.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
https://automaton-media.com/en/game...cing-due-to-graphics-becoming-more-realistic/

Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii participated in a dialogue on the topic of RPGs with Katsura Hashino, the director and producer of Atlus’ upcoming Metaphor: ReFantazio. In an excerpt recently published by Denfaminicogamer, Horii talks about the foundations of Dragon Quest’s storytelling and mentions a small but unexpected challenge the franchise is facing now that video game graphics have evolved to be more realistic – and it has to do with how the protagonist is depicted. Update: Please note that the “realism” discussed refers to things like graphics switching from 2D to 3D, becoming more detailed and expressive etc, not a switch from stylized to photorealistic graphics.

Yuji Horii, who originally aspired to be a manga artist, turned to video games due to his love of storytelling and fascination with the interactivity offered by computers. From his idea of telling a story that progresses though interactions with bosses, Horii eventually created Dragon Quest. “DQ basically consists of dialogue with townspeople, with very little in the way of narration. The story is created within the dialogue. That’s what’s fun about it,” the creator muses.

Another foundation of the Dragon Quest is its silent protagonist, or as Horii describes it, “the symbolic protagonist.” The idea behind this was to enable players to become the silent main character – they could imagine the character’s reactions freely, allowing them to easily project their own emotions onto the protagonist. However, this approach was partly facilitated by the graphics of the time, as Horii comments jokingly, “as game graphics evolve and grow increasingly realistic, if you make a protagonist who just stands there, they will look like an idiot.”

On the other hand, there is no easy fix for the situation, as Horii notes that having the protagonist explicitly react to events can make it hard for players to relate and connect with them, jeopardizing immersion. “That’s why, the type of protagonist featured in Dragon Quest becomes increasingly difficult to depict as games become more realistic. This will be a challenge in the future too,” the creator concludes.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Though this video was pretty boring- or I just didn't care enough- I did listen to SkillUp's review which was also pretty meh.

And honestly I had already forgotten about this game. My interest was always gonna be related to my general give-a-care about Star Wars and right now that's at absolute zero. Maybe Andor season 2 will make me care about another Star War but between that and the shooting mechanics, I'm not interested in this one at all right now.

I only have room in my heart for one Ubisoft pretty-to-look-at-time-wast-athon any more and of course that belongs to the Creed of the Ass.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
How much more of the Creed of the Ass do you need? What will you have after that?
Eh... honestly, one every couple of years if kind of perfect for me. I think playing one "open world Ubisoft pretty but bland" game every year or two is a nice pacing, at leas for me- mix it in with some hair-tearing pscyhological rollercoaster from From, a smattering of indies, and the occassional something outside my normal box and it's a nice gaming rhythm. I just for now choose AssCreed as my regular bland Ubi game because of the historical settings, which are fundamental more interesting and cool to me than Star Wars or Avatar or Insert Generic Fantasy World.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh... honestly, one every couple of years if kind of perfect for me. I think playing one "open world Ubisoft pretty but bland" game every year or two is a nice pacing, at leas for me- mix it in with some hair-tearing pscyhological rollercoaster from From, a smattering of indies, and the occassional something outside my normal box and it's a nice gaming rhythm. I just for now choose AssCreed as my regular bland Ubi game because of the historical settings, which are fundamental more interesting and cool to me than Star Wars or Avatar or Insert Generic Fantasy World.
The choice is yours to make, but you're just trading one sin or mediocrity for another. Shadows I am still willing try, but at a much lower price.