Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not on Xbox because MTFramework no longer supports Xbox One...and Xbox Series either apparently?
That sucks. As much I hate MS, the XBOX players should not be left out. It's weird, because the RE Engine is basically Capcom's modern MT Framework engine. They've used it for Arcade Stadium and I assumed they used it for their compilations since the Fighting Game Collection.

• SF Season 2 discussion
  • New characters confirmed for KoF XV
  • Matt's impressions on CoW
  • 3rd Strike Odd Moments
  • Homelander Breaks MK1
  • Max's update MvCI

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

EDIT: The AAA Industry does have a habit of not writing their female leads well or have them go through a bunch of unnecessary suffering to count as character development. As he points out near the end of the video, it's usually Western AAA games that fudge this up. Though He doesn't mention Alloy from the Horizon (I get why as she's bland to some people, but she doesn't go through a whole bunch of misery and either of her or her games) games. There's Cloe and Nadine Uncharted Lost Legacy. Both characters have their own agency and doesn't rely on them going through so much pain and misery. Rivet definitely counts too and works as leading lady, even though she shares it with Ratchet. I do appreciate Yahtzee says that he doesn't like pointless misery nor victimization of a character, no matter if they're male, female, color, lgbtq, etc. It's funny how either the smaller budget games usually get it right or the AAA Japanese games get it right. More so the ones with fan service. It be like at times.

Though big problem with Yahtzee's argument is that he's cherry picking examples. There's plenty of Western AAA games that avoid TR 2013's main issues. As I've discussed with a friend:

• Control
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Various Assassin's Creed games with female leads. This one is not my forte, but I give credit where it's due. Shadows counts even though it's not out yet.
  • Alien Isolation
  • Returnal
So it really doesn't hold much weight and is not as big issue as he's making it out to be. Even though he is right about some of the games he mentioned.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Though He doesn't mention Alloy from the Horizon (I get why as she's bland to some people, but she doesn't go through a whole bunch of misery and either of her or her games) games.
I'd argue she's bland because she goes trough misery but just comes out unaffected. She was ostracized her whole childhood, literally talking to only two other human being until she became a young adult and she turned out... perfectly normal. She even has a good grasp of societal structure, politeness norm, hierarchy and other social interaction as soon as she start interacting with people. To bring it back to Yathzee point, she has no flaw she need to overcome, she's just a mary sue and its the rest of world job to realize how awesome she is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd argue she's bland because she goes trough misery but just comes out unaffected. She was ostracized her whole childhood, literally talking to only two other human being until she became a young adult and she turned out... perfectly normal. She even has a good grasp of societal structure, politeness norm, hierarchy and other social interaction as soon as she start interacting with people. To bring it back to Yathzee point, she has no flaw she need to overcome, she's just a mary sue and its the rest of world job to realize how awesome she is.
I don't consider her a "Mary Sue". I am not hardcore into her, but she's fine overall.