Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

This should be something weebs think about the next time they treat Japan as some bastion of sexual mecca. I am sorry but the French have you beat.
Aren't a lot of Western Countries less hung up about Sex in particular then the US?

Except Maybe the British, if this documentary footage is to be believed :)

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Problem was our initial boom of sexual content was immature and crass, little better than the prudishness perceived by teens and manchildren who can't handle sexual content in a mature manner and thinks Japanese games are the pinnacle of sexual maturity as seen in the article as CERO don't allow actually sexually mature content for a console game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Such a shame the main story never ended up getting the same kind of attention, for whatever reason *cough* Konami *cough*

Or wait...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's a shame Armake21 only did one episode for this particular series. Granted, it would have gotten repetitive, if he done more than four or five of these. I disagree with him heavily on Ninja Gaiden 3. Especially when the razor's edge version came out. So that's the only part of the video that's aged poorly. Keep in mind, this video is from 2012

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never encountered too many mom and pop game stores growing up. I mostly went to Funcoland (later GameStop), Toys R Us, Media Play, Circuit City, and Best Buy shopping for games.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
We'll have some stuff to post in here real soon as we're prepping to re-release some of my old documentaries from back on Gameumentary on Escapist since I had no audience and they basically got no viewership.

First one will be a full 40 min doc on just designing the opening level of Bioshock...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
We'll have some stuff to post in here real soon as we're prepping to re-release some of my old documentaries from back on Gameumentary on Escapist since I had no audience and they basically got no viewership.

First one will be a full 40 min doc on just designing the opening level of Bioshock...
Arguably the best level of bioshock.

Seriously, I was so impressed by that opening level and was disappointed the rest of the game failed to live up to that as far as the level design/setpieces went. Yeah, there's water outside but it might as well be aquariums for all it seems to affect most of the levels.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here is all of Champion Analysis vids on all DMC characters. Also, Vergil's Awakening What If Scenario.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I mean, sure Jim can be annoying but wtf crappy dev. Also how the hell is this stuff making it past Sony’s “quality” checks. Maybe no one is buying the games enough for it to matter, unlike a Cyberpunk: 2077 refund nightmare.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I mean, sure Jim can be annoying but wtf crappy dev. Also how the hell is this stuff making it past Sony’s “quality” checks. Maybe no one is buying the games enough for it to matter, unlike a Cyberpunk: 2077 refund nightmare.

I don't even find Jim that annoying. Plus, you never shoot the messenger. Jim was at us most annoying in is really early days back on a Destructoid. I really didn't start liking them till around 2012 or 2013 when they were kind of getting their act together and then improved on from that

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Aphex Twin (my avatar’s namesake) released this remix of the classic Pac-Man theme music back in 1992, almost 30 years ago.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
If anyone dare jump into this pool -

Also,

While Spec Ops the Line and TLOU get honorable mentions, I feel like this article was too Japanocentric. But these days I can't argue that Japan's time in the limelight has already passed. I loved TLOU2 because of how woke it was and gave me something to turn to in harsh and trying times.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
While Spec Ops the Line and TLOU get honorable mentions, I feel like this article was too Japanocentric. But these days I can't argue that Japan's time in the limelight has already passed. I loved TLOU2 because of how woke it was and gave me something to turn to in harsh and trying times.
Well then, maybe you’ve already seen this as it’s kinda old already, but if not -

Reactions: Gyrobot