Game Articles and Videos Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Just to add on to what Brawlman posted above me. I think Marty’s take on the PlayStation issues sums up what has been going on really well. PlayStation/Sony feeling “off” is the perfect term for it.

I might just post that on PlayStation’s Twitter.

I was wondering if Sterling was going to talk about this. I honestly hope all of this negative publicity will wake Sony up and get them back on a more gamer friendly track (I think that’s the right term).

Do they really have that short a memory? Why the blatant swinging back and forth so much? It’s almost like how every other version of Windows has alternated between good and shit, or how sports teams blow huge leads, and then have to fight tooth and nail to squeak out a win. I can only surmise it’s tied to the constant flux in human nature between survival and security.

Apparently the solution is they need to be systematically reminded of what got them success, and what lost it for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sora383

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
This helped me stop spending any additional money on Genshin Impact.

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
I might just post that on PlayStation’s Twitter.
Feel free to post what I said, I don’t use Twitter but your more then welcome to use it (I’m assuming your talking about what I said, you could just be talking about Marty’s article lol)

I think part of it is like you said survival vs security, but I get the feeling part of it to is when one company gets a head be it PlayStation or Xbox the CEOs just get cocky. I honestly believe that since gaming is still such a relatively young industry compared to movies or tv that the people running the big video game companies just don’t have an honest grasp on pattern recognition yet and keep falling into the same pitfalls

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This helped me stop spending any additional money on Genshin Impact.

What happens when you take the radio, or was that just what played the girl’s message?

Feel free to post what I said, I don’t use Twitter but your more then welcome to use it (I’m assuming your talking about what I said, you could just be talking about Marty’s article lol)

I think part of it is like you said survival vs security, but I get the feeling part of it to is when one company gets a head be it PlayStation or Xbox the CEOs just get cocky. I honestly believe that since gaming is still such a relatively young industry compared to movies or tv that the people running the big video game companies just don’t have an honest grasp on pattern recognition yet and keep falling into the same pitfalls

I meant the article, but yeah idk how they can’t recognize patterns by now, due to the fact they keep repeating and they’re furthermore grilled constantly about it via social media. They’d have to be completely ignorant fools to keep allowing it. Amazing they’re able to keep these huge companies afloat with such a lack of hindsight.

Reactions: Sora383

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That’s what happens when these companies get too big and popular, with conceit and stupidity writhing their ugly claws into things. Looks like Microsoft needs to check them hard again and remind them what kind of attitude got them all these fans they’ll soon be losing now.

As an aside, I’d hoped this recent string of purely balance sheet (bs) driven decisions doesn’t have Hermen Hulst behind them as he’s always generally seemed like a stand-up human, but it seems likely. Maybe he needs to remember the position his own studio was in when Sony was nice enough to keep giving them chances.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That’s what happens when these companies get too big and popular, with conceit and stupidity writhing their ugly claws into things. Looks like Microsoft needs to check them hard again and remind them what kind of attitude got them all these fans they’ll soon be losing now.
It's like said before earlier last year around late spring/early summer with the price point reveal and The Are You Worthy Enough To Buy A PS5 thread. Arrogant Sony is back again.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Thank you, Brazil, and the Bolsonaro government.
I don't know what's stranger. Someone saying ''Thank you, Brazil and the Bolsonaro government'', or the one saying it being entirely correct when he does it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Those videos on The Evil Within were excellent. They perfectly reflect my own opinion of the games.
I disagree with him on some things. I love both Evil Within games, but I do prefer the second game. I get why he dislikes it, but the little petty insult to the director of the second game was unnecessary. Shinji Mikami stepped down for a reason, and I respect his decision for it. Everyone may not agree, but I get why. There's always a need for new blood.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well QA isn't a part of the development really. As they said, they grab people off the street and they play video games and simply report the bugs.

I think the bigger issue is the dev's treating the QA department like shit, which honestly has more to do with the stress of the crunch or deadlines or the risk of losing their jobs outright after the game is over.

But the QA department shouldn't feel like they should have any extra special part of the game or anything. Like someone at McDonalds spends thousands of hours making fries that doesn't mean that person is a chef.

I was QA at Activision for four years and most of QA is just a bunch of dummies who think getting paid to play video games is a dream job. And to some extent it is, but it is playing the game with purpose so it's a bit different. Good QA people know the difference, but even then it's just finding and reporting. And the vast majority of bugs that are reported on a given project are never fixed. Either because the bug is minor and harmless to the overall game, or if the bug is some extremely hard to reproduce that isn't likely to occur for the vast majority of players.

Or you can take the Bethesda Route and not have QA at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well QA isn't a part of the development really. As they said, they grab people off the street and they play video games and simply report the bugs.

I think the bigger issue is the dev's treating the QA department like shit, which honestly has more to do with the stress of the crunch or deadlines or the risk of losing their jobs outright after the game is over.

But the QA department shouldn't feel like they should have any extra special part of the game or anything. Like someone at McDonalds spends thousands of hours making fries that doesn't mean that person is a chef.

I was QA at Activision for four years and most of QA is just a bunch of dummies who think getting paid to play video games is a dream job. And to some extent it is, but it is playing the game with purpose so it's a bit different. Good QA people know the difference, but even then it's just finding and reporting. And the vast majority of bugs that are reported on a given project are never fixed. Either because the bug is minor and harmless to the overall game, or if the bug is some extremely hard to reproduce that isn't likely to occur for the vast majority of players.

Or you can take the Bethesda Route and not have QA at all.
I disagree heavily. I don't care how smart or stupid that people are in QA, proper credit deserves proper credit. Because the game (s) wouldn't have a higher quality without those testers. They are essential to making sure the game works and functions. When you lessen on that, rush something, or don't have any QA at all, you get all the bull crap in the triple A industry and expected a place 60 plus a premium of a shell price. Crunch and an excuse for the developers to treat their QA people like garbage either. I call that he or she who fights monsters. Even if it is born out of frustration and desperation.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK

One of my favourite YouTubers Raycevick just uploaded this video, and safe to say that I am pretty sold on the potential of mobile gaming, now.