Game Dogs: Episode Three: Mr. Yee

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I think Mr Yee has got me intrested in Game Dogs.
I always love an insane boss, i think it what makes a good show.
I mena look at Phil Ken Sebben & Denholm & Douglas Reynholm From The IT Crowd!

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I do not get this show at all. I have a hard telling teling what the jokes are and what is just plain dialog and exposition. The poor memeory gags escaped me. I would suggest a laugh track to help us know what is supopsed to be funny.

On the positive side, I do like the long tie sight gag. Everything else, not so much

Edit: anyone else reminded of codemonkeys.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
Cerberus doesn't even get an upgrade to the dark dog god in a setting entirely populated by dog-people? Where's the justice in that?!
Why not just put them all in the yard, maybe in a small development house made of wood? There's tons of space outdoors! Wide open spaces and fresh air are great for inspiring big ideas!

The show could almost certainly benefit from becoming less like 'Dilbert(but with Dogbert in the lead) meets CodeMonkeys '(Mr. Yee is definitely the Pointy Haired Boss but with a lot more pointy hair everywhere)to find its own identity...or by learning a few new tricks.

Maybe this can be accomplished by introducing human characters who run everything and/or broadening the scope of the show to include people in different areas of the industry, from advertisement to retail to reviewers to the gamers themselves(though not necessarily all at once)?

Three episodes isn't too much for a slight retool to take hold, is it? Ideas like those wouldn't violate the concept of the show from what I see so far.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Wow! Mr. Yee is hilarious! Anybody wanna make a screenshot for the game? I wouldn't mind seeing what that would look like. What would they name it?

Great episode! My favorite characters so far are Chet and Roger in that order. Now I'm gonna go see Doraleous and Associates Episode 2.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
TheyTookOurJobs said:
Time to send these dogs to the glue factory...
You're thinking of horse there, fella. I believe the correct animal-related cliche that you were looking for is "It's time to put these dogs down!"
Ow! My fingers! It hurt so much to type that!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Ha! Caught an Extermination reference there.
Show is okay and it'll keep my attention... For now.

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
I'll definitely say that this was a good deal funnier then the first two. I like the Mr. Yee character, a clueless, spontaneous boss in the same vain as Mr. Larrity and Denholm Reynholm (of Code Monkeys and The IT Crowd respectively). If this is the sort of thing you're looking for, I'd recommend looking to those shows and specifically the those characters for inspiration. Knoking Mr. Yee's crazy Capitalist level up to 11 could really bring out a memorable, funny character.

I continue seeing parallels in character design between Game Dogs and Code Monkeys. Roger and Chet bear very strong similarities to Dave and Jerry, save the extreme nature of the characters have been seriously scaled back to a point where people can neither identify with nor laugh at them. I'm not suggesting making the characters stereotypes, but for the most part they're not characterized strongly enough to do humor with. We need to understand their personalities and laugh at the way they react to a situation based upon the viewer's understanding of them.

The ill-informed idea of making a game to feed off misinformation about modern gaming culture is a very funny idea and I appluad the writer(s): thats a stroke of genius I wish I had thought of. The joke(s) just needs to be delivered in a more humorous fashion. In it's current form, the show moves far too slowly and the audience has time to figure out the punchline before the snail's-pace delivery is halfway through,with dialogue feeling drawn-out and awkward, the viewer straining to get to the punchline. Tighten up delivery and, if I understand your brand of humor, rachet up the character delivery and voicework. Chet is a well-meaning but abused and mistreated geek (or you could go the Todd route [Code Monkeys] like you did in the D&D episode). Roger is a dog with talent and ideas, but a slacker and smart-ass (currently stuck in the uncanny valley between stoner and straight-man surrogate). Bethany, a character reminiscient [a copy] of Mary (seriously?! How much are ya'll gonna copy Code Monkeys?) needs to play up her abilities, only to be shot down by highly misogynistic derision (look to Code Monkeys for what to do with her anger if thats your angle). I wanna see Gary get much more pissed off and explode with anger. In this case, look less to Code Monkeys and more to the relationship between Church and Caboose in Red vs. Blue (i.e. start off highly frustrated and build until you get an insane volcano!). Mr. Yee needs his madness and such rocketed up, faster, better articulated delivery, look to Mr. Larrity and Denholm Reynholm and you can't go wrong.

Honestly, I don't see the show in it's current form being very funny. Its definitely in need of writers going back to basics and first figuring out what the show is before further progression. I'll continue to tune in weekly in the hopes that you get over your post-pilot stumbles and hit the ground with your brand of comedy.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
nothing compared to Doraleous and Associates. I cant belive they choose this crap to be the main feature. I try but cant get more then 2 mintues before just giving up

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
It's gettin' better guys, i actually laughed this time...
thatlaurachick said:
The series is growing on me.

Satan + Antartica = Hell Freezes Over. That could be an interesting game.
I agree and "Hell Freezes Over" would be an Awesome game-title :D
It could be about things starting to happen that people only thought would happen when hell freezes over...
Damn! I gotta go write this down...
*hysterical giggle*

Jun 6, 2009
Results are back from the Firing range! Here are your results so far.

5 (Episode 1)
2 (Episode 2)
8 (Episode 3)

You have two more shots! Try to get an average of 7!

And if you do, you will have one extra dedicated viewer.

chapomon

Jan 28, 2010
Heh heh, satanic video games, that would have been pretty original in the 80's and probably a nail to the corporation's market. Gary is such a yes-man but I love his tie.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Ok, if there's another episode like this, I'm sold on the series.
Great job on this one.

TheyTookOurJobs

Dec 22, 2009
TexaNigerian said:
TheyTookOurJobs said:
Time to send these dogs to the glue factory...
You're thinking of horse there, fella. I believe the correct animal-related cliche that you were looking for is "It's time to put these dogs down!"
Ow! My fingers! It hurt so much to type that!
DOn't believe I'm even arguing this but:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glue%20factory

shufflemonkey16

Mar 7, 2008
This one actually did make me laugh a couple of times. Maybe it just needed to be broken in? Otherwise, the huge weakness is still the characterization. There isn't anything special to connect with or appreciate in any of the characters. Not for me, at least.