Game of Thrones - I give up

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I was done with it from half way through season 1 episode 1.

I'm the kinda guy who hates nudity in stuff, 'cos I don't see the point. I feel it never adds anything to anything and I just end up sat there, blood flowing in the wrong direction so I can't concentrate on the story and it makes me feel awkward (and I live alone).

So when a dwarf (what is the PC term these days?) is getting a gob job, then a guy takes a women's see through dress off to see her naked, then walks outside with the see through dress back on I stopped watching.

If they released a none nude one I would watch that but I feel the only reason it's so big and popular is 'cos America has always been pro violence and quite anti nudity, so when a show comes on with violence and nudity you all go bonkers for it and while it's not the first it is the biggest.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
omega 616 said:

I'm the kinda guy who hates nudity in stuff, 'cos I don't see the point. I feel it never adds anything to anything and I just end up sat there, blood flowing in the wrong direction so I can't concentrate on the story and it makes me feel awkward (and I live alone).
The tits seriously distract you from the story? How horny are you? I'm a frikkin teenager and even I don't suffer from that affliction.

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
i wasnt expecting it and its not often you see shows pull a blakes 7 and murder a good chunk of the good guys in such a brutal way. and the silent credits was a masterstroke.
It was very well done for television, despite the changes made from the original material. This is definitely /not/ a fairy tale series. Good doesn't always triumph over evil, the only thing certain in Westeros is that everybody suffers at some point.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:

The tits seriously distract you from the story? How horny are you? I'm a frikkin teenager and even I don't suffer from that affliction.
Sorry for being a guy but it's kind of like *watching character interaction* "oh, hey, bewbs ... wait what happened".

That is only a teeny, 1% of my problem though. It's more to do with "would this scene work without bewbs?" and in my personal opinion the answer has always been "yes but lets add bewbs anyway".

Forgive my childish way of writing boobs, I just prefer that spelling.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I actually approve of the scene, in both book and tv series. Martin has a major problem. TOO MANY CHARACTERS. So I approve of cutting down the batch a bit, even if he does introduce two more for each he bumps off.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
I actually approve of the scene, in both book and tv series. Martin has a major problem. TOO MANY CHARACTERS. So I approve of cutting down the batch a bit, even if he does introduce two more for each he bumps off.
I dunno, he seems to get a bit too enthusiastic about killing them. Then again, my two favourite are still alive as of right now, so I don't care so much. It's also interesting that Martin can make such "good", hate-able villains.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
omega 616 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:

Sorry for being a guy but it's kind of like *watching character interaction* "oh, hey, bewbs ... wait what happened".
No, it's not "being a guy", I'm a guy too and when I see tits I don't instantly lose all capability of rational thought and focus on them to the exclusion of all else.

That is only a teeny, 1% of my problem though. It's more to do with "would this scene work without bewbs?" and in my personal opinion the answer has always been "yes but lets add bewbs anyway".

Aye, I'll grant some of it is definitely fanservice - though in some cases, it's also important. That scene with the dwarf you mentioned? Yeah, his constant use of whores is kind of a big deal - introducing him with one is pretty fitting.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:

No, it's not "being a guy", I'm a guy too and when I see tits I don't instantly lose all capability of rational thought and focus on them to the exclusion of all else.

Aye, I'll grant some of it is definitely fanservice - though in some cases, it's also important. That scene with the dwarf you mentioned? Yeah, his constant use of whores is kind of a big deal - introducing him with one is pretty fitting.
It's not like I see bewbs and for the next 10 minutes I can't concentrate 'cos my pants got tighter, it's not even 10 seconds .... it's like you're in the cinema and somebody lets off just THE loudest fart in history, it doesn't stink it just ruins that moment. (that was like the 5th simile I concocted)

I would say it's more of an immersion break than a distraction.

I will use House MD as an example here, House uses hookers almost constantly but the most you see is a bra or down a shirt. He goes on a bender and has like 10 hookers go through his hotel room, the most you see of them in one "naked" under the covers.

Just 'cos you have whores doesn't mean you need tits and ass ...

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Moth_Monk said:
LuisGuimaraes said:
Well, I'm neither mad or sad, just uninterested in whatever happens next and not very excited to keep watching.

I had a lot of work to deliver at Monday morning and stopped to watch the show then kept working through the night.
Felt like I'm wasting too much time with fiction.

King of when your girlfriend cheats on you, doesn't matter what you saw in her before, you just move on.
Thanks for posting this comment, it gave me a good laugh. :D
You're welcome... :p

I was going to make an MMO turns pay-to-win analogy (because MMOs are actual waste of time in my book), but I found out the GF cheats one would be funnier and less likely to derail the thread.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
omega 616 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:

It's not like I see bewbs and for the next 10 minutes I can't concentrate 'cos my pants got tighter, it's not even 10 seconds .... it's like you're in the cinema and somebody lets off just THE loudest fart in history, it doesn't stink it just ruins that moment. (that was like the 5th simile I concocted)

I just... don't get that, I guess. I don't find tits or ass that distracting in a show like this. Why does it break the immersion? This is a world (much like ours, a few hundred years back) where sex is everywhere, the whores fit right in.

I will use House MD as an example here, House uses hookers almost constantly but the most you see is a bra or down a shirt. He goes on a bender and has like 10 hookers go through his hotel room, the most you see of them in one "naked" under the covers.

Eh, sounds like chickening out to me. THAT breaks my immersion - seeing people surrounded by women they've just had sex with, yet somehow they all somehow still have underwear on or JUST HAPPEN to be in places where you can't see their parts. It's contrived and distracts me.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Pretty pointless to think that every single story in existence needs a happy ending to be good. A good thing sometimes to know that every character in the world is vulnerable to death. The fact that you knew it was coming is even more confusing. Really think it would be a smart idea to rewrite that scene. Really like them to have a bunch of white walkers come in for no reason so they could absorb the arrows so the Starks wouldn't die. I can't really understand this. Kind of hate the fact that most television series need to have a happy ending. Eventually why I started watching more dark themed shows.

Gregory McMillan

Jan 30, 2012
thejboy88 said:
Okay, those of you who watch the series and know the book probably know what this is all about as it concerns the events of the most recent GOT episode, "The rains of Castamere".

Basically, I knew the ending was coming. I've known ever since season two, which was when I was really into the books. And it was the point in the books where, reading those events, made me so angry and so disgusted with the story, that I literally threw the book aside and never picked it up again. And to this day I've never returned to the books to find out what happened afterwards because I was so upset at the time.

The only reason I watched the show after that was because I held out hope that maybe they'd handle that part of the story in a way that didn't anger me as much as the book did. That was not the case. Once again, this story has made me feel terrible, and so, like with the books, I have decided to abandon the entire thing.

Now I am not saying that I think Game of Thrones is a bad show, far from it. The acting, the way the story is told, all of it is great. But as with all things, there is a line for me. A point that, if passed, forces me to turn away from such stories. And now, GOT has crossed that line.

Call me foolish if you wish. Call me hopelessly old-fashioned for wanting things to turn out happy for the heroes and for everything to be okay. But I'm just like that. I want there to be a light at the end of the tunnel in stories like this. And after this, there is no light bright enough to possibly make this dark and bloody tunnel worth passing through.

I'm done with it.

How could you not expect the show to turn out differently without significantly altering the material? And as far as happy endings go, there are still some Starks in need of our support. Would you really give up on them?

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well you can't handle anything that isn't all kittens and rainbows?

Man that sucks. I like it when shit goes South in these things. A perfect fantasy world is a boring fantasy world.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
Moth_Monk said:
I'm guessing you didn't like the ending of Mass Effect 3 either? :p
Those two are not even slightly comparable, you just want to flame and feel good about yourself for telling of those "priveleged snobby gamers who dare critizesomething they thought was horrible". If you want to flame go to a flamethread about that instead.

As to being on topic thejboy88 please dont take this the wrong way but if you cant handle events like that Martins clearly isnt the author for you. Theres shows by the dozen where the heroes live happily ever after and all is rainbows with pink fluffy clouds but theres horribly few shows that are even remotely realistic and brutal when called for. I myself kinda find this series to be a horrible blasphemy due to the way it dumbs down, simplifies and just straight outright brutaly changes the masterpiece that is A song of ice and fire. That being said GoT is still by far one of the best shows during recent years but if you want to critizise it dont do it for doing what it does and is meant to do but rather accept that everything around cant fit your taste :)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
I don't know, just knocks me out of the moment.

I know what you mean but from what I can remember, House doesn't do that for the most part, it's more like things will get hot and heavy, the woman's top comes off then it cuts away or things have ended and the woman spins out of bed with her back to the camera, showing that she hasn't got a bra on etc.

Either that or somebody will just say "I/he was/is with a hooker" ... you still get the knowledge he is ok with sleeping with hookers but you don't nudity for the sake of nudity.

I believe it's better to infer than out right shove a pair of bewbs in your face.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
omega 616 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omega 616 said:

Never read the classifieds in a German newspaper, then. The hookers might just offend you with the... details... of their advertising.

I find that part of the series refreshing, honestly. They depict naked people of all sexes and orientations (though the lion's share definitely goes to the ladies gettin' it from the gentlemen, they don't shy away from the gentlemen or their sausages [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1bsh5Ne3yU] givin' it to the ladies or each other). It's just something people do, and there should be no shame or disgust generated so long as it's not happening for real in a crowded public place. I call growing acceptance of this progress.

As for the OP... I burnt out after finishing the first book when I was 18 (read it in 1999. The execution was too much for me to handle)... but I came back 3 years later and picked the series up again. It most definitely qualifies for what is known in the fanfiction world as "grimdark as fuck"... without needing fanfiction to make it that way... and not everyone can handle that. I couldn't, when I was young... and I feel no shame for that. It's far from everyone's cup of tea (of course, now that I've seen similar things in real life, the series is just immersive to me).

Honestly, I was downright amazed when the TV series was announced... graphic executions, incest, and the marital rape of a 13-year-old are all par for the course in this series. They did some things to soften the various blows for the TV series, but it's still unflinching in its depiction of horribleness... which, as someone has already said, makes the triumphant moments for the... let's say "good guys"... all the more triumphant.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
I thought it was great. If Sean Bean being beheaded hadn't already taught you a lesson then pay attention, everyone can die in this series, hence the excitement for people who haven't read the book yet.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3up0hu/

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I know nothing of Game of Thrones myself, but I understand the sentiment behind being angered and frustrated by the dark parts of fiction, especially when it seems so pervasive. In most narratives, the bad things happen/are happening, a new hope arises, insert conflict, maybe taste a bit of defeat/have some loss and then ultimately over come. I think what gets people about what I'm hearing from GoT (the ones who get so sick of it they quit paying attention to it) is that it tends to ramp up the dark aprts of the narrative and have them occur far more often.

The reason people have an issue with this is because, yes, it is more realistic. But so what? Many people read fiction to enjoy fiction, not to be reminded that the world they live in is a cold, horrible place where no good deed goes unpunished. There's also the issue with giving up on trying to care about teh characters. We grow attached to fictional characters, and to see them die can be heartbreaking, but to see them die constantly just makes you want to stop caring altogether. Why continue to follow this or that interesting individual if you're just going to have to watch someone gut him or her later, just like the last five characters you enjoyed?

I'm not picking on this approach per se either, as I enjoy The Walking Dead and it has similar narrative approach, but I can certainly understand why others would get so galled and even pissed that they'd give up on paying attention to a story altogether. What's the emotional payoff of watching everyone you care about get butchered?

Anywho, that's my ramblings on dark narratives.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
loc978 said:
Never read the classifieds in a German newspaper, then. The hookers might just offend you with the... details... of their advertising.

I find that part of the series refreshing, honestly. They depict naked people of all sexes and orientations (though the lion's share definitely goes to the ladies gettin' it from the gentlemen, they don't shy away from the gentlemen or their sausages [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1bsh5Ne3yU] givin' it to the ladies or each other). It's just something people do, and there should be no shame or disgust generated so long as it's not happening for real in a crowded public place. I call growing acceptance of this progress.
I think there is a time and place for stuff, I play mass effect for the over arching story and character interactions ... not the close up of Miranda's ass or Jacks starting attire.

If I want to see nudity and fucking I have the internet, home of the blandest to the most extreme porn to the weirdest of fetishes. Crow barring a man on man scene into a medieval drama series is off putting to me.

I do like how America is starting to be ok with nudity on screen, I just don't want to see it ... I'm a complicated dude, okay? Haha.

EDIT: it's not about offending me, me being prude or anything like that. It just rips me violently out of the atmosphere .... like as you start watching somebody turns the gravity off and you drift into the atmosphere of GOT, then bewbs appear and it's like the gravity is turned back on.