Gameloft Breaks Out the Clone Machine for WoW-Like Order & Chaos

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Okay first thing that came to my mind when I read Order and Chaos was "Wait is this a shitty knock-off of War and Peace?" After reading the article I now think, wow if you want to take down WoW you should probably not be like WoW. Especially if your game isn't going to play well, because then it'll just make people think about how much they want to play WoW instead. :/

Captcha: dveldl pendent is the real source of Voodoo power.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
Gameloft makes some really decent games, they just need their own ideas. They're solid developers, they just need to hire some creative talent.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
GoGo_Boy said:
Lovely how the haters even manage to hate on Blizzard in this news.

I just wish Gameloft copies Mass Effect 2 and the whole escapist crowed just tolerating the WoW and Starcraft theft get ridiculously mad.
Mobile Effect! I love it! :D

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Should Gameloft be condemned for its actions? I, for one, wouldn't mind playing a game like World of Warcraft or Starcraft on my phone, and Gameloft's at least appear to be of decent quality. Still, it's hard to support a company which is so blatantly taking ideas from other companies, even if those companies aren't working on mobile versions of their games.
Wait a minute. This seems strange coming from you, Mr. Goldman, seeing as you seemed pretty supportive of FortressCraft last month. I'd be curious to know what you think makes Gameloft near-plagiarizers but Projector Games simply expanding upon an idea.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Yokai said:
Tom Goldman said:
Should Gameloft be condemned for its actions? I, for one, wouldn't mind playing a game like World of Warcraft or Starcraft on my phone, and Gameloft's at least appear to be of decent quality. Still, it's hard to support a company which is so blatantly taking ideas from other companies, even if those companies aren't working on mobile versions of their games.
Wait a minute. This seems strange coming from you, Mr. Goldman, seeing as you seemed pretty supportive of FortressCraft last month. I'd be curious to know what you think makes Gameloft near-plagiarizers but Projector Games simply expanding upon an idea.
This.
Also I have to say, gameloft have been doing this for years now, ripping off everyone elses ideas no matter how good or shit, and then turning them into phone games. It's what they do. Sadly.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
That looks pretty decent, actually.
I know Gameloft are anything but original, but they do make some very good iphone games that can give you more than five minutes of enjoyment at a time.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
Usually I let WoW clones slide, I mean WoW kinda got there foundation from Everquest, but c'mon! At least change the character designs or something...
THIS.

It didn't even look like they changed anything. At least other clones, try to change things. Different races. Different worlds. Different looks. Maybe some cool features to differentiate from the 500 pound gorilla. But that was just WoW. I bet it is set in Nazeroth.

And the blatant rip off of Uncharted. I was just wondering where Chloe and Elena were.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but there have to be limits. Why not just try to license some of those titles?

Captcha: Bierlein olicip
What is that? German?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Well, Gameloft is ripping off Blizzard, Blizzard ripped off Westwood, that's how shit works.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Holy crap... there's inspired by, then there's mild copying, then there's blatantly ripping off... then there's whatever this is.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Sure Gameloft never brings out anything original... But, their work is always of the highest standard. It really is.

And for those claiming it has better graphics than WoW.... Well, lets just say you're both silly and don't know what you're talking about.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
That`s just sad. I wanted to say something about etics and about how easy it would have been to make at least the trailers not look like the games their are cloning, but if they did that they would have missed their own point. So I`ll stick to sad.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
I think they stole a few of the sound effects from WOW, such as the one that sounds like an Eagle.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Don't see any problem with it. It's not like Blizzard didn't do exactly the same with their products basing their games on Games Workshops Warhammer IP. In the end it's you, as end user benefiting from that. In case of Blizzard people got Warcraft/Starcraft to play, in case of this company people get to play games similar to those big names on their iPads/iPhones. It's a win-win.

Originality died hundreads of years ago anyway.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions, in some cases it does seem that they are blatently ripping off IPs, in other cases I think that the material is generic enough for there to be no major problem.

With "Uncharted" the whole thing is extremely derivitive to begin with, it's a good game series, but the "wisecracking treasure hunter" thing is hardly new material and has been fodder for games for a long period of time before "Uncharted" and "Tomb Raider" made it big. I don't think you can defend either of those IPs on any kind of creative grounds.

With "Order and Chaos" I think it's actually clever in a kind of warped way, given that Warcraft was based on Warhammer, the story I've heard being that originally Warcraft was developed to be sold to Games Workshop (as the RTS games), but was rejected in such a way that included tacit approval to develop the project in that style if they wanted to release it themselves or find another publisher. I thus find it kind of interesting to see Games Workshop getting comparitively clobbered with most of it's computer releases. Games Workshop itself was seriously inspired by the writings of this guy called "Michael Moorcock", whose entire "Champion Eternal" cycle (or rather his entire body of work, which is now linked through that) was the rather obvious inspiration (and acknowleged more than once I believe). The whole style of the way things things look was taken verbatim from his book, compare say how he describes Champions Of Chaos to those from Warhammer for example.

At any rate with Warhammer Online replacing Chaos with "destruction" I kind of find it amusing to see the biggest knock off being the ones who are naming the material most correctly after the root material.

I'll also say that this has been out there long enough, and Moorcock and his "style" has inspired so many things, that much like the treasure hunter thing above, I really can't bring myself to claim "foul" on that one too much. To do that with a straight face, you'd have to go after everyone who has been inspired by Michael Moorcock, and even if many argue his writing hasn't always aged well, the dude is one of the Grandmasters of fantasy for a reason, he's inspired so much stuff it's crazy.